Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pumpgun?

benelli2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at one of the newer Benelli pump guns last week...although I know nothing about how it handles or shoots.

It absolutely blows chunks. I wish I had a single, positive thing to say about them.

The BPS will be the hot setup.

Is not the receiver pemanently attached to the buttstock on those new models? That would make it a pain to do mods to.

The problem with the Nova is that it's an 1100 warmed-over and not nearly as well executed. Not only is the pump action sticky as frozen molasses, but there's a problem with the way it unlocks (at least with the one that knocked me out of the shootoffs in the first round). Somehow, the unlocking is delayed and you have to time it after the "bang!" in order to pump the gun without just jerking the whole damn thing through your shoulder. It's something that won't show up in the gunstore. You've got to use live ammo to make it do it.

If you live in the Fatherland and it's all you can get cheap, I guess it'd be worth putting the time into, but we don't and there's a lot of better engineered mousetraps out there to start with.

JMHO

I use my 1300 turkey gun for comp and it is very fast. For how rugged it is....I used it for 10 years hunting duck (not the best for wing shooting but it is what I had) and it has had thousands of rounds though it with no problems. There were times when I was off balance and the action was almost fully open with no help from me. I have shot some others but not enough to give an opinon on them. Hope this helps...Good Luck, John DVC

Guest Larry Cazes

Mossbergs break alot? I have 2 500s that have been around for more then 10 years with 1000s of rounds through them and ZERO problems. I always thought of them as somewhat rough but extremely reliable workhorses.

• 3 weeks later...

REMINGTON 870, I have carried the same shotgun (well used) for 11 years now, It is great, On the other hand I have 5 broken Mossbergs in my office, and the benelli is like all other benellis, Junk

The Mossbergs have a safety issue, tyhe safety will sometimes engage when you cycle the action, this can be helped but not fixed with a steel safety button. I also have issues with an aluminum receiver.

Thank goodness I am replacing all the 590's with 870's this year. My officers are all looking forward to it.

Just bought an old 870 police gun. Saw it at the local gun store. Cop trade in, all beat up. Had a smooth action, side saddle and extended tube. 200 bucks. Its going next to my bed.

Love those great gun store finds/bargins!

IMHO :blink: a 3 gun / IPSC tuned plaything is not the same as a duty carry piece, in pistol, rifle or shotgun.

Whilst I would carry an 870 on cop duty, or sitting by my bed, I would use a Benelli pump in comp, as loading is way fast due to the loading port and carrier that clears out of the way. Using the weak hand 4 at a time Kurt/Holmes etc etc Colorado method, it is real slick. The actual action of any gun can be tuned but it is the ease of loading that slices off seconds at the end of the day. Most pumps hang up on firing and need to have the slide released and then pumped to operate the action, like my 870 Express...but in IPSC / 3 Gun, ease of loading matters and time = points and points mean prizes.

Most pumps are roughly in the same bracket re reliability, user kindness, pump action ease, recoil etc, but its the ease of loading that really puts a type of gun ahead IMHO :huh: .

Most pumps hang up on firing and need to have the slide released and then pumped to operate the action, like my 870 Express....

Mike,

This is true. That's why I like my Winchester pump - because it doesn't do that. I don't shoot it in three gun though :D

The only thing you *don't* want to do with the BPS is run it dry. Reloading an empty chamber on the clock is going to be an awkward affair because of the fingers that lift the shells into place. Somebody somewhere is milling a loading port in the side for that very reason.

The other thing someone might wish to do is put a setscrew in the S/R selector to prevent it from getting bumped into S - where it won't load shells from the magazine. I've been hunting a couple times with a single shot BPS.

Eric-

You can run the gun dry and load from the bottom without going into the mag tube. I have been practicing this technique and I am faster (than a snail) with the BPS than on a gun with a side port since I can continue loading to magazine after one to the chamber and not have to roll the gun. This one does not have a S/R selector on it. Milling a side port only sets you up for failure like the other side port guns if you have to shoot in an awkward position where the gun might be turned to the right. If for some reason you are not fast enough on the action, the rounds drop right out the side!

Jerry,

I must say I have never ever seen a BPS but I was wondering by your photos if it had a carrier or if it was carrier less, like a mossberg - that is by far the best design re loading ! :) and is way fast !!

I really want to see it as well !!!

What would be an average time to load 4 ? I know the method you describe, a few Brits load the Nova by dropping one in the well, and using another shell to push two in as one.

If the BPS is that good I may have to follow you there as well ! ;)

M

Sorry Jerry, I didnt mean to sound like a time monkey, I was just wondering what people like KurtM or BH or TH could load 4 in, on one of your BPS toys - in reality I am sure you have not had the chance to show it off to that extent - but please let me know the results when you do.

In the European world, the selection for the British 'European' Pump Team for the IPSC European Shotgun Championship Team of 2006 is up for grabs, and people are about to start fighting for places in the UK Team. Pumps range from Winchester to Nova but technology rules the race...and the current trend is the Nova due to the loading ease.

In about 6 months Brits will start asking loading par times for pumpers !

This BPS toy looks very tasty indeed.

I must have one. B)

It must be very similer to a mossberg, in terms of loading, But you just dont see mossbergs used on the circit much over here. Its a real shame.

Mind you actually trying to find and buy a new mossberg isnt an easy task. And people just hold onto the second hand ones for years.

Mike.45 - forget the nova mate...... ;)

get a BPS. :wub: