Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead prices to come back down?

Singlestack Wonder

I was fortunate enough to order and receive 10K of Masterblaster's bullets at the old pricing just a few weeks ago before they wend under. Some of our shooting scientists out there need to research a new, completely inexpensive, bullet material. Depleted urnanium may work but it tends to cause me to grow more hair on my hands coupled with a 3rd eye.

I was fortunate enough to order and receive 10K of Masterblaster's bullets at the old pricing just a few weeks ago before they wend under. Some of our shooting scientists out there need to research a new, completely inexpensive, bullet material. Depleted urnanium may work but it tends to cause me to grow more hair on my hands coupled with a 3rd eye.

SSW,

Tell the truth. It's not the urnanium that makes hair grow on your hands.........;)

Any one see the news article in Yahoo ? The latest craze in China (and you havent seen a craze till you have seen a Chinese craze in numbers) has put 40 milllion, yes million electric bikes on the roads, each uses a lead acid car battery sized battery, and each bike runs though about one a year. that's a dang lotta lead.

My question is does anybody actually expect bullet prices to come down? Personally, I don't. I fully expect them to stay where they are, just not go up.

Thought about that too. I think if you have enough to get you by for 4 or 5 months, you might be wise to wait on the chance they lower prices. If they don't you haven't lost anything.

Edited by SA Friday

My question is does anybody actually expect bullet prices to come down? Personally, I don't. I fully expect them to stay where they are, just not go up.

I think that is why you don't see to many zero bullets available right now. They are waiting until they can make a fortune when the lead prices go down and their prices stay the same.

I think that is why you don't see to many zero bullets available right now. They are waiting until they can make a fortune when the lead prices go down and their prices stay the same.

Assuming they have any customers left. Montana Gold makes a fine bullet, and you can get them.

Actually they have had several very large orders from ammo companies that have taken most of the production. Fiocchi ordered several million 9mm's to load. Also even with the increase in orders they have not added a second shift. I doubt the wisdom of not expanding the workforce to meet current demand, but they don't like to hire workers on a temporary basis. They try to keep people for the long run. Just my $0.02.

One thing to throw out on the bullet manufacturers......Most if not all are using Pre WW II machines that have a very high learning curve to operate, and can be damaged and down for quite a while if not used the correct way, not to mention the scrap that is made if things are not set up right. Using experienced operators that know how to do things right is very important, and just dropping newbies in to run expensive equipment doesnt cut it. You also dont want to burn out your valuable help as well......I would imagine they are working as fast and as much as they can....Given the fact that most of us that used to buy a couple thousand at a time are buying as much as we can when we can........

FWIW...

DougC

The war in Iraq will not go on forever (though Afganistan might take a while longer).

Once the training requirements in Iraq fall away, there might be "surplus manufacturing capacity" that could result in cheaper ammo.

On another front, a friend recently took 2 buckets of "reject," berdan, 22LR, and weather-blackened brass to the recycler.

He was paid over $1 per lb. Two 5 gallon buckets netted $100

Thought about that too. I think if you have enough to get you by for 4 or 5 months, you might be wise to wait on the chance they lower prices. If they don't you haven't lost anything.

Yeah but thats like waiting for the price of gas to drop. If anything I would bet the price of lead will rise. The only chance of making money on this would be to bet the price will rise, but I hope it gets cheaper. Theres always wolf brand bullets.lol

Lead:

There are 7,000 grains in 1 pound. Divide that by whatever bullet weight you like.

If a 125 grain bullet, there would be 56 bullets in a pound, 112,000 in a ton (ignoring waste).

In 2006, lead averaged 60 cents per pound, or about $1,200 per ton (ignoring shipping costs). That would mean (again, ignoring waste) that raw lead in a 125 grain lead bullet would have cost (average) $0.0107 per bullet. Of course, you have transportation costs, manufacturing costs, additive costs, etc., to add to that number.

If the 4th quarter of 2007 goes as many predict, lead will have averaged about $1 per pound in 2007 (it is now higher than that).

For a very long time over the past 5 years, lead cost well under $0.50 per pound: http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base...ad-5y-Large.gif

Check my math, did this in a hurry. But, if you can afford to wait------the odds, chart, and many analysts opinion are in your favor...which, if you are as lucky as me...is probably a buy signal:)

On another front, a friend recently took 2 buckets of "reject," berdan, 22LR, and weather-blackened brass to the recycler.

I've been saving all my scrap brass. I have a little bucket right next to my 650 so that if I crush a case, I can throw it in the scrap bucket for recycling later. I know someone else on this forum mentioned he dumps his used primers in with the scrap brass, primers are in fact made of brass. Could be a gold mine just in the primers alone. :)

I've been saving all my scrap brass. I have a little bucket right next to my 650 so that if I crush a case, I can throw it in the scrap bucket for recycling later. I know someone else on this forum mentioned he dumps his used primers in with the scrap brass, primers are in fact made of brass. Could be a gold mine just in the primers alone. :)

Holy crap I have been throwing out my used primers. Well another bit of fact that would have been useful a year ago.