Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Open 9mm

Hi-Power Jack

I'm new to this forum, and new to Open guns (I've been shooting

IPSC with a Browning Hi-Power 9mm)

I'd like to get any experiences with buying an Open gun:

I've narrowed it down to the STI Trubor or STI GrandMaster, in

9mm - I plan on shooting it with factory loads at first, but like the

idea that I can load major later, if I wish to.

My questions:

1. Anyone happy or unhappy with their STI 9mm?

2. Any advantages/disadvantages to the Trubor vs the GrandMaster?

Looks to me like most of the differences are cosmetic? or are there

significant (trigger pull, accuracy, reliability) differences?

3. If the gun needs work (trigger, accuracy esp) who do you recommend

sending it to your staying away from? I'm in New York State, near the

Pennsyvlania, New Jersey, Connecticut borders. I'm considering either

EGW in Pa, or Bedell in NY. Any others?

4. What options are a good idea to add on?

Thanks for any help you can be.

Jack

Today's price on a Bedell custom gun appears to be under the cost of the Grandmaster. If I was buying a new gun, Bedell all the way.

Guys like Dan Bedell, and EGW are busy. You might have to wait a bit if you bring them a factory gun to tune.

Just buy the STI from Dawson or Brazo's. You can pay them a couple bucks to go over it before it goes out the door to you.

I have recently had a TruBor in my hand. Seems nice enough. I won't call it a full out custom, but for the price it is a heck of a gun. The grandmaster supposedly has a better trigger job and some more polishing, tuning etc. I don't know and have never handled one. I think if it were me I would take the Trubor from one of the big names pre tuned over the GrandMaster.

Further if I really were going to consider the cost of a GrandMaster, I would definitely consider some of the other smiths that we have on this board. They do great work and can make the gun fit YOU.

Tuned TruBor - you can have it chromed later, if you like, once you get it fit to your hand. I hate the thought of getting a gun pre-chromed before I'm able to round off the corners that bite my hand, and such...

I don't know about a difference in trigger jobs between the TruBor and GrandMaster - the ones I've handled have been pretty similar. Some careful tweaking with the factory parts should net you a nice, crisp 2# trigger easily, possibly lower if you know what you're doing - but that's probably left to a good smith (and maybe top shelf parts, too...) ;)

Let board member Jim Anglin give you a quote on 9mm open gun. For the money and lead time I don't think you will find a better gun out there.....plus they flat out run and run! I believe with 9mm major, you must be very selective on your gun builder.

ccL

I just looked over a brand new TruBor last night. Barrel fit was good, as normal with STI. Slide to frame fit was decent, as normal, overall it was a pretty nice gun. It doesn't run though, ejector wasn't touched other than pinning it in and the ejection pattern is way off. That is all I saw in just a minute with the gun.

For what they cost I wouldn't buy one, I would have one built by a good 9mm smith. You get all the best parts money can buy, you get a hand fitted gun too. Not saying the Trubor is bad, it isn't, just saying for another couple hundred bucks I personally would get a custom gun.

I bought a Trubore from Dawson and had him do his "Enhancement Package" to it before I got it. He tuned it and made sure it ran right before I got it. I've only put about 1000 rounds through it so far and the only hiccup I had was while working up loads and starting WAY too low. Once I got up above the 150 power factor level it's been running fine. The only thing I kinda regret is getting it hard chromed right away.

If you go the Trubore route, get Dawson to go through it and hold off on the chrome until you're sure you won't want the slide lighted or something else.

Trodrig

I just got my new 9mm open gun built by Jim Anglin (Sailor's Custom Guns). I put 200 round thru it practicing last week without any malfunctions. I decided to shoot it at a local match last Saturday expecting the normal brand new gun malfunctions. I shot 5 stages without a single problem including a 52 round stage copied from the Monster Match. Give Jim a call.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Go with a smith that has a proven track record building 9mm open guns. Trust me, you don't want to deal with a gun that doesn't run. It's a good crash course on smithing, but I like to shoot not tinker with the gun.

You can pay now or pay later.... up to you.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm new to this forum, and new to Open guns (I've been shooting

IPSC with a Browning Hi-Power 9mm)

I'd like to get any experiences with buying an Open gun:

I've narrowed it down to the STI Trubor or STI GrandMaster, in

9mm - I plan on shooting it with factory loads at first, but like the

My questions:

1. Anyone happy or unhappy with their STI 9mm?

2. Any advantages/disadvantages to the Trubor vs the GrandMaster?

Looks to me like most of the differences are cosmetic? or are there

significant (trigger pull, accuracy, reliability) differences?

3. If the gun needs work (trigger, accuracy esp) who do you recommend

sending it to your staying away from? I'm in New York State, near the

Pennsyvlania, New Jersey, Connecticut borders. I'm considering either

EGW in Pa, or Bedell in NY. Any others?

4. What options are a good idea to add on?

Thanks for any help you can be.

Jack

- I plan on shooting it with factory loads at first, but like the

You're going to shoot Open Minor? If so, I'd definitely let the builder know that or you may end up with a gun that won't run. Also, make sure you're scored minor when you deserve it.

Not to impede on someone elses post but does anyone have contact info for sailors custom or a web link.

By the way; 9mm is hard to get to run correctly so make sure you get a god gunsmith. I have had a bad expierence with a 9 not built correctly; finally just bored it to 38 super.

Edited by mcattack