Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are suppressors legal on a rifle?

oregonshooter

Supressors have their uses, but why would you want one in a match? The extra length might be a liability. Plus you would be the only one with one so the noise reduction is kinda pointless. I might be missing something here but I just don't see a reason. Well there is the cool factor to consider.

I have a Gem-tech on my M4 commando. I my opinion they are highly overated. Very heavy, slows the swing, fouls after about 200 shots and gets so hot it will take your skin off after about 50 rounds. A small comp is much more effective and handy. Incidently I had a HALO also and it never stayed tight and changed my point of impact 6 MOA.

We have a couple of guys who use them on pistols during our .22 steel match and the timer is completely incapable of picking up the shots. As a result the guy on the clock has to thump it to stop the time. Well I suffer from slooow reaction times (a good trait for a shooter huh?! :blink: ) so I hate running those guys because I feel like I am ripping them off on the timer.

-ld

On rifles they take the bite out of the report and you can shoot without hearing protection. You do still hear the sonic crack, but it isn't hard on the ears really.

If you do have someone shooting with a suppressor on an AR you need the clock right next to the ejection port, it will register the noise of the bolt cycling.

I sometimes use one on a 16" for local matches. (one on a 20" is way front heavy, and very slow) A tad slower on the swing, but not bad. If you sight your rifle in with the can before hand, you don't have to worry about changing POI. Always easier on the ears, but the timer does need to be held near the port or outstretched toward the muzzle. I find it works VERY well as a comp, as my crosshairs don't move and follow up/double taps are amazingly fast.

You do get the sonic crack with a rifle, but as SR said, it does take the bite out of the report.

Reasons? Noise pollution, less hearing loss, fun. Also, no 5320.20 needed to transport cans (or AOWs), but make sure they are legal where you are going.

I am pretty sure it is an automatic bump to open, but they are legal and have seen them used before. Just make sure you do the proper paperwork if you are crossing state lines with one.

Suppressors don't require the Federal form 5320.20 like machineguns, SBRs, SBSs and AOWs do. But they need to be legal in the state you'll be taking it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. Per M. Voigt at http://www.uspsa.org/rules/Interpretations...igun_rules.pdf:

"Any suppressor which has functional characteristics which serve to reduce muzzle-flip and/or felt recoil (e.g., externally-visible baffles or ports) will be considered a compensator."

Any silencer has baffles. That's what makes them work. That they don't vent to the outside like a comp or brake doesn't make them not effective. There are a number of shorter models that don't add that much weight or length. Seems like a good way to get an effective, legal "big" brake on a limited rifle. :devil:

Now if I just lived in a state where I could bring my quiet toys along. Mine all have to live in another state. :angry2: