Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun for Single Stack?

Rather-B-Huntin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wouldn't suggest that Kimber supports USPSA to the degree that STI/SV, Springfield etc do, they do support us to some degree. The current issue of Front Sight's back cover is a color ad for Kimber that must have been pretty pricey compared with the other ads....it maybe isn't guns on prize tables, but it is support. With that said, I still bought an STI for SS....even if it is in .40 :)

While I wouldn't suggest that Kimber supports USPSA to the degree that STI/SV, Springfield etc do, they do support us to some degree. The current issue of Front Sight's back cover is a color ad for Kimber that must have been pretty pricey compared with the other ads....it maybe isn't guns on prize tables, but it is support. With that said, I still bought an STI for SS....even if it is in .40 :)

I agree completely. I still love my Kimber but for USPSA I am switching to a Caspian .40. I know we are a small market for gun companies though.

Single Stack IS .45!!!!!!

Need I say more? I think not :D

Z I was wondering when you would jump in.

.40 for SS, Blasphemy

what blaster you shooting in SS?

Millennium Custom Caspian in .45

Ion Bonded with a SV magwell

Coupla thoughts here - yes, Kimber's level of sponsorship of USPSA hasn't risen to the level of S_I, Springfield, DPMS, etc. But, I can't recall an issue of Front Sight since I've been a member (the last 3 years) that didn't have a large full color Kimber add. The add on the current issue cost them over $1300. Add that up x 6 issues a year, and that's a minimum of at least $7500 annually they're spending on USPSA. Granted, that's not a ton of cash, but it's not chump change either.

And they've had NO reason to be a part of the game. All the other companies listed have fat bodied guns that they can cater towards the average USPSA shooter. Perhaps now that Single Stack is coming online in '08, their attitude will change....

If you've got a Kimber, and it runs, why buy another gun unless you've just got the extra cash to spend and have the urge to buy a new blaster. And there's nothing wrong with that, I do that all the time. ;)

2nd - I shoot .45acp over .40 in my Single Stack blasters.... To me .45 is softer. I seem to develop tendonitis when I'm shooting .40. I'm fortunate in that I have two presses - a 550 that I can load .40 on if the need arises and the 650 I crank out .45s on.

And finally, shooting a 1911 in something other than .45 is just not very masculine. :goof:

I am a little late to this discussion, but things have been more hectic lately.

I am fully in favor of supporting those who support USPSA. Support comes in various ways and each of us will have to decide what level of support is sufficient for us to spend our money with a particular company.

Decide wisely and spend your hard earned money as you feel best. Hopefully your decision will also support USPSA.

Gary

Millennium Custom Caspian in .45

Ion Bonded with a SV magwell

Now that blasp...blasph....just not right damnit lol. Everybody knows true 1911s are .45 and smith alexander magwells :goof:

Edit to add, I shoot a springfield black stainless all triggered out. Kimbers are good guns and if its whatcha got shoot the snot out of it. Yes they paid USPSA to have a add in front sight but that is also advertising and good buisness since. Support would be donating guns to prize tables....not catalogues

Edited by steel1212

With the $1,000 budget I'd get the 45acp Spartan & a trigger job. Shoot 45 minor for ESP, major for CDP & SS.

What 45's do you already have. One of them may do just as well, unless you are just hankering for a new gun.

I already have Kimber and S&W SS guns in .45. Believe me, it isn't a matter of needing a new gun, it's all about the want part. I've never had a SS in .40 and just thought it a novel idea.

With the $1,000 budget I'd get the 45acp Spartan & a trigger job. Shoot 45 minor for ESP, major for CDP & SS.

What 45's do you already have. One of them may do just as well, unless you are just hankering for a new gun.

I already have Kimber and S&W SS guns in .45. Believe me, it isn't a matter of needing a new gun, it's all about the want part. I've never had a SS in .40 and just thought it a novel idea.

Let it pass :D. Stick with a .45

Single Stack IS .45!!!!!!

Need I say more? I think not :D

In my heart, I agree.

However, I shoot Limited as well, and the 550 is set up for .40. Setting everything up when I do happen to need .45 is a PITA and to be avoided at all cost. The last time I made of run of .45, I kicked out every primer and bullet I had on me, and ended up with 2K ready to go. After I put everything back together for small primers, I swore to try to avoid the nightmare until I could acquire funds for another press dedicated to large pistol. Until that happens, however, I'll have to lean towards .40.

{ETA not that I have the urge or skill to participate in SS yet... I'm still getting my feet wet in Limited}

Edited by Lighteye67

Hello: Sounds like you have a plan. Buy yourself a 40 and don't look back. Loading for one caliber has it's benefits for sure. I have a Limited 40,single stack 40, IDPA SSP 40 and even a revolver in 40. The only thing I have to keep straight is major or minor loads ;-) Thanks, Eric

I'm planning on shooting in Single Stack division next year, and would like opinions on which gun I may use??? I'm gearing towards a Kimber Stainless II chambered in .40 at the moment. I already have a couple of .45's, but am actually looking for something that can pull double duty and shoot in ESP class in IDPA too. And I won't spend more than $1,000.00 on everything (gun, trigger work, new sights).

What are your opinions??

If you want a gun that is competitive both in USPSA Single Stack and IDPA ESP then get a 9mm or 38 Super. You will be able to run 10 rounds in both divisions.

If this was mentioned earlier..I missed it.

If you really want to shot in ESP in IDPA then a single stack 40 will be out gunned by the wide body 1911s in 40. Several nationals have been won with STI wide body guns.

There is really no replacement for a quality .45 that you can shoot in CDP and SS.... then save your oney for a wide body that you can shoot in ESP and Limited (with minor work on the mag. well to fit the IDPA box).

That represents the best two gun battery for my 2 cents worth

Well I have been shooting a Kimber in SS and in L10 also for a couple of years. One day at the range I was discussing my Single Stack with Rob L. and I told him I liked my Kimber because it runs. Rob then told me that I should get a gun that runs from a company that REALLY supports the sport (USPSA). He didn't say it should be Springfield but he stressed any company that really supports USPSA. I really started thinking about what he said and I realized how right he was. This is not a knock on Kimber because I like my 1911 but their support of USPSA is little to none while we have companies such as Caspian, Springfield, STI, SV, etc.... that are giving our sport a lot of time, attention, labor, and money.

I agree with Robb L. aka TGO. Support those who REALLY support us. Companies "buy" advertizing for 2 reasons: 1) to sell product and 2) because some advertizing dollars are tax-deductable and the money would be wasted otherwise. I don't consider Kimber's tax-write-off adds to be "support" for USPSA. Besides, did you know that Kimber uses a lot of MIM parts? Just search any board on "Kimber and MIM" and see what comes up.

3 other makers who DO actively support us & who make GREAT guns are:

-Dan Wesson

-S&W

-Sig (there ARE plently of SS class legal Sig 1911 models now).

Regards,

c.

I am a die-hard fan of the .45ACP in SS, however with the skyrocketing cost of reloading components, .40 is looking better and better. If the prices continue to rise, we all may be shooting .22 Single Stacks by this time next year. :surprise:

• 3 weeks later...