Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light set up for 550

kildar

Getting ready to reload for 40 S&W but have been cautioned about double charges. A good light pointing down into the powder loaded cases is recommeded. To those who follow this advice what's your light setup look like? What kind of hardware are you using? Pictures would be appreciated.

Getting ready to reload for 40 S&W but have been cautioned about double charges. A good light pointing down into the powder loaded cases is recommeded. To those who follow this advice what's your light setup look like? What kind of hardware are you using? Pictures would be appreciated.

:rolleyes: Have been loading for some time(both40sw and 45, 9mm) and I'm just using a small gooseneck lamp to the left of my 550 press that I shine down toward the powder charge station. The base sets to the rear so it leaves good access to set the bullet in on the next case. With the new fail-safe type powder measure, I have found that I would have to be very negligent to throw a double charge. The powder measure bar cannot come back to be recharged until the handle is virtually all the way up and then it snaps back. I do however like to see every powder charge just to know something didn't stick or something and throw a squib load. At any rate it doesn't take that much light to see the charge so just a simple table top gooseneck lamp works great for me. Good luck.

Take care. Keep the right side UP!!!

Bob

Edited by b.s._nm

I use a desk lamp shining over stations 2 & 3. I also have an inspection mirror taped to the 550 by station 3. Before I insert the bullet I check the level of powder in the case. After a while checking the level becomes automatic.

Art

I use a desk lamp shining over stations 2 & 3. I also have an inspection mirror taped to the 550 by station 3. Before I insert the bullet I check the level of powder in the case. After a while checking the level becomes automatic.

Inspection mirror! Never thought of it but it's a great idea. Still would need a good light though.

Edited by kildar

I'm with TruStreet. I bought mine (look identical) at Harbor Freight for about the same price. But I use two, mounted via the magnet base, on either side of the base of my strong mount on my 550. That way I have additional illumination on both sides of the shell plate, and great feng shui due to the fetching symmetry :D

TruStreet,

Outstanding suggestion. Very much what I had in mind. Wish it wasn't battery powered. How long do the AAA last?

With 3AAA it's running 4.5V. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get an AC adapter from Radio Shack that does 4.5V and make a plug-in for it. Heck you may even have a 4.5V adapter around the house, and you'd only need to get the female end to plug into. Good luck!

~Mitch

I'm using a conduit clamp, a machine threaded screw (stove bolt), and a book reading light sold at Walgreens. Total cost might be 4 dollars.

My550light.jpg

The clamp is of the correct diameter to slide over the knurled part of the bullet seating die. The machine (thumb) screw on the backside is what locks the conduit clamp tightly to the bullet seating die.

The little LED light I bought from Walgreens. Heck, it might have been on clearance like "2 for 3 dollars". I think it is a light that you clip onto the (hard) cover of a book so you can read your book while you're flying in an airliner or in bed but not enough light that it disturbs your wife/girlfriend.

It throws enough light down into the case mouth so that I can see if I have no charge (a squib) or a double charge.

The only catch is remembering to shut it off when I'm done reloading. They are so inexpensive I haven't even bothered trying to swap in new batteries; I just buy a brand new light.

The advantage this has over the incandescent gooseneck style lights is that it puts out no heat.

TruStreet,

Outstanding suggestion. Very much what I had in mind. Wish it wasn't battery powered. How long do the AAA last?

If you remember to turn it off when you finish & use a good Battery like Duracell , you can get over a year! :blink:

Thats an interesting pic.

I haven't done any rifle handloading (reloading) on my 550 yet, so I am guessing then that you do the bullet seating (crimping too?) on station #4??

That must mean that your left hand is just up there to spin the thumb wheel (the star thingey) and your right hand is doing all the work: loading a case in at station #1, setting a bullet on top the case at station #4, and .... AND cranking on the handle.

Hmmm.... it would almost be neat if Dillon would set up the presses then to be ambidextrous, where you could swap the handle to the other side.

No, I don't use crimp in 223, no need imo. I pull the lever, check the powder, lower the shellplate, place bullet as usual (left hand), index the plate, grab a new case with right hand, repeat.

It's so easy to check the powder in large and short pistol cases, whereas .223 is next to impossible without looking from straight up with a bright light.

Edited by askomiko