Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching calibers and nothing else in Production

Mike Dame

A guy has a box stock G22, none of the usual production legal mods done to it. In order to keep playing the game they need to start shooting 9mm so they drop in a 9mm barrel in, factory or non-factory but identical specs, no other mods. Do you bump them to open? Would you let it slide at a monthly local match?

A guy has a box stock G22, none of the usual production legal mods done to it. In order to keep playing the game they need to start shooting 9mm so they drop in a 9mm barrel in, factory or non-factory but identical specs, no other mods. Do you bump them to open? Would you let it slide at a monthly local match?

Local match ? I would / could not care less. Shoot 9mm. Have fun.

I would not expect reliable extraction due to the different extractor and breechface dimensions.

Forgetting the mechanical differences in extractor, etc. The question is this. Are the rules different for a local match versus a major? If the rules are the same...no it does not slide. Shoot for all the fun you want, but not for score.

I would loan him a G17 for the match if he want to shoot for a score. I generally bring a few extra guns and ammo, just in case. Let him slide and it goes downhill from there. I think if someone who doesn't know better, comes to the range, it is a shame to turn them away.

Let him shoot for score local, infor him gun is not legal. Give him the option to load to max cap and shoot ltd, or shoot ltd-10.

Production shooters were bumped to LTD at the Nats when they should of been shooting for FUN.

Maybe I should reiterate?

Rules are the same for all level matches.

+1. It isn't fair to the other shooters that are following the rules to boot.

Your friend has plenty of options...Shoot 40 in Lim, Prod, or Open...shoot 9mm in Lim, Open.

it's fine balance to not be so hard-ass on new shooters that you turn them away..but you cannot let the slippery slope continue as to the newer shooter that is trying to follow the rules you get the appearance of a good ole boy club..

rules need to be applied with probably lots of explanation and help to the new shooter trying to help them understand and find a place in the divisions to play..a shooter that has been around and is trying to do something for convenience or to save money..knows the expectation and should expect to follow them..there are plenty of places to play and compete..

heck..when I started..we all shot heads up ( long long ago) and shooting minor 9 against open and limited type gun..I ended up in C class..and I really didn't care all the much..as I was having to much fun shooting anyway..

The question is this. Are the rules different for a local match versus a major? If the rules are the same...no it does not slide.
- Rules are the same for all level matches.

Go put your head back in the sand and keep believing that. While we at it, I have a bridge in NY I'd like to sell.

You are right. It is wrong of me to consider my fellow shooters and USPSA members to be ethical and honorable people who stand on principle and behave accordingly. But wait, that's all I've met in my 6+ years in the game. Your experience must be different at the clubs you shoot at.

Where are all these Level I matches giving away Cadillacs for 1st U Production...?

I certainly wouldn't boot a new competitor to open for this --- I would explain the rules, and attempt to have a frank discussion about the expectation of future compliance. We tell new people regularly not to buy new guns until they're sure where they want to play. Usually these things work themselves out within the first couple of matches --- either the newbies decide the game is not for them, or they're so excited they're ordering guns, belts, reloading equipment, etc.

Experienced or classified competitors are a different story though.....

Where are all these Level I matches giving away Cadillacs for 1st U Production...?

I certainly wouldn't boot a new competitor to open for this --- I would explain the rules, and attempt to have a frank discussion about the expectation of future compliance. We tell new people regularly not to buy new guns until they're sure where they want to play. Usually these things work themselves out within the first couple of matches --- either the newbies decide the game is not for them, or they're so excited they're ordering guns, belts, reloading equipment, etc.

Experienced or classified competitors are a different story though.....

Exactly. Level I matches should accomplish the following:

- Provide a safe venue

- Be fun

- Bring new shooters to the sport

- Prepare shooters for bigger matches

Bumping the new guy to open because of a barrel change takes away 2 out of the 4 for me. If he/she decides that 9mm is the way to go, they'll trade the G22 for a G17 or 34 soon enough. ;)

couple of different thoughts here..

bottom line..rules is the rules..

a new guy shows up with non compliant equipment..you explain the best you can, you give some allowance to get them there..and you help out as much as you can..

that is fine...make it fun, make it safe, welcome the new folks and get ready for the big matches..which have rules....

or you got the shooter that is trying to save money..good lord..we all are trying to make the $$ stretch with rising component costs and just the cost of living. but I can find a division to shoot in with any of my gear..even if its limited minor or open minor 10 etc..

The question is this. Are the rules different for a local match versus a major? If the rules are the same...no it does not slide.
- Rules are the same for all level matches.

Go put your head back in the sand and keep believing that. While we at it, I have a bridge in NY I'd like to sell.

You are right. It is wrong of me to consider my fellow shooters and USPSA members to be ethical and honorable people who stand on principle and behave accordingly. But wait, that's all I've met in my 6+ years in the game. Your experience must be different at the clubs you shoot at.

Yup, must be different. I regularly see folks break the rules at our locals and then plead "just a local". Ticks me off completely but it happens so regularly that I have stopped protesting. Rules are rules regardless of the match level!

Can't really believe to what I have read in a few posts here.

For me rules are rules, period. Like or not, either you play by the rules or you play a different game.

If you want to be nice to a newcomer (and I WANT, because the sport needs new people), you can explain him the rules, you can help him complying to them, you can even offer to loan a gun which is rules compliant, you can ... show how nice and helping IPSC people are!

What you can't do is to bend the rules to comply with everyone's desire.

Ask yourself: "Am I doing really any good to him by bending the rules to allow him play the way he likes?".

When we have a new shooter that comes to the club, we ask which type of gun he is using and the place him in the appropiate division. I don't see a problem with placing a person in the L10 or Ltd division when shooting a G22 with a 9mm conversion. We explain the rules and they would be ready to shoot and have fun.