Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Your Favorite SS Magwell ?

Chris Keen

Starting to think about next years matches already. :rolleyes: I know that in 2008 Single Stack is supposed to be released to the public as a legitimate division :cheers: so I plan on shooting it starting in January, maybe sooner.

I already have a S&A magwell on my STI Spartan, and it's nice and all, but it's not nearly as big as the competitions products. And if I'm gonna be reloading more than any other divsion except Revo, I want to have all the advantages MY competition does.

So my question is between the SV & the Tec-Well ..... which magwell is your favorite ? I believe that almost all magwells made for the SS will fit in the box, and are therefore legal. But I'm trying to figure out which one will be the best value for the price. They both seem to be quite large, but is one of them more so than the other ? And what about how they attach to the gun ? Do they use different methods ? Different MSH ? Pins ? Is one of them more reliable than the other ?

If I'm gonna spend that much money on a magwell, I want it to be the best out there.

Your thoughts ...... ?

I was impressed woth the techwell. And how simple it is to put on.

Buy the grips and the well and put it on.

The grips have grooves milled in the and the techwell has ears the fit inside the grooves.

You take the old grips off slip the well on and put the grips in place.

... or send Joe your grips and have them milled. I sent him my Gunner grips and he sent them back with one of the first mid-length Tech Wells.

All I can say is Outstanding. SS Division mags, everything fits in the box and when you slam a reload you're not hitting the magwell.

Their website got hacked sometime back, I reckon they have not got a newone back up.

As far as another place on the net to get them I don't know. Give them a call or email them I am sure they can fix you up.

Have the *aluminum* SV. I'd be surprised if the steel one makes weight. It attaches in a slightly funky fashion, and required some minor modification (read: filing) to the MSH it comes with....It's nice, but not the difference I was expecting, and you still have to hit your loads. Very easy to get tempted into using a regular basepad, since *most* of the time, the mag seats. <grin>

Hello: I would just keep the S&A magwell. I am not that good of a shooter but can hit the reloads on my single stack with a Kimber magwell just fine. I have seen people miss there reloads in there 2011 with the huge Dawson magwells. I also have a hard time spending that much money on those magwells. I'd rather buy more mags and blend in the magwell. I have seen the SVI magwell and it looks well made. Thanks, Eric

I don't see a need for a huge magwell.

The problem I see is most people just slap a magwell on and call it good, leaving that same tiny opening in the frame. I open up the frame and magwell as much as possible and the SA magwells still provide room for error.

Brian has a SS in his book that I've used as my model when installing a magwell. I open the frame/magwell opening up to at least 3/4" and extend it into the frame as much as I can, although it starts to taper pretty quickly. I also tend to open up the magwell too.

I did the S&A thing, not bad, but not really "RACEY" enough for my taste.

So....

SV it is for me. A pain in the AZZ to put on, but it just plain ROCKS!!!!

It is a two piece deal, as you have to use their mainspring housing too, but the magwell is worth it!!!

I have tried the SV Magwell in all three varieties: aluminum, blued steel and stainless steel. I'll +1 the comment somenone made regarding making weight with anything BUT the aluminum version. My USPSA Single Stack Wilson 9mm with empty mag and steel full length guide rod with the SV Aluminum well weighs in at 41.6 oz. I forget what my other SS with the stainless well weighs, but i have it written down somewhere. It was definitely 44+ oz.

I have only installed mine on Wilson 1911s. To be honest, I really feel like the Wilson speedchute that was blended at Wilson is MUCH smoother when you are in the ballpark with the reload. But, I prefer the feel of the SV well as part of my strong-hand grip. The well tends to help me when I'm a little off on the reload and helps to bring it back on line. I imagine that if I did a re-blend on the SV well, it would be smoother, but the angle is just not as steep as the Wilson.

I'll try to attach a few pics of my SV stainless well on a Wilson .40 S&W:

post-11193-1192544077.jpg

post-11193-1192544096.jpg

post-11193-1192544133.jpg

post-11193-1192544139.jpg

post-11193-1192544145.jpg

post-11193-1192544155.jpg

Edited by WickedBag

I think I like the way the SV magwell attaches best. I don't like being locked into one set of grips. I just got my Spartan, and have not decided if I like the new grips I put on them or not. Only time will tell that. I dont mind changing the MSH out like I did for the S&A magweel I put on it a few months ago. I have to agree with Zhunter on this ..... the S&A magwell does work, and is fine for most folks ...... but not racey enough for my taste! B)

For those of us who shoot strictly USPSA Single Stack ... do we need to worry about the weight issue ? :huh:

(Actually I wasnt even aware there were different kinds of SV magwells.)