Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to clean blast residue of my c-more lens

ormondopen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can I clean off the blast residue off the front of my c-more lens, tried almost everything except a dremel?????? :closedeyes:

Get a blast shield, install it on the C-more and no more residue. Some of the others can help with recommendations for removing same. I put the blast shield on and have not had the problem.

I just used fire place window cleaner.....it's made for glass....work like a charm, and I then put X-Rain on it so I can wipe the lense during the match as soon as it become filty...always clear as glass :)

<_< Old we did this and C-More says use Hoppies and thin wipe it with windex. we has last years thread about "RainX to make it clean faster. C-More is concerned RainX may cause a problem but plenty of Forum have used it for years.

I keep a lenz pen handy to clean my Cmore =even with a Dawson blast Sheild it gets hazed up quick

JF

<_< Old we did this and C-More says use Hoppies and thin wipe it with windex. we has last years thread about "RainX to make it clean faster. C-More is concerned RainX may cause a problem but plenty of Forum have used it for years.

I keep a lenz pen handy to clean my Cmore =even with a Dawson blast Sheild it gets hazed up quick

JF

Yap I should have said that too.....the Mini Dawson with 2 barrel holes,will hazed my scope pretty fast......the red C-More I have become pretty filthy after a 700rds practice....been using RainX for a couple of year now...on both C-More and OKO(5 scopes)

how can I clean off the blast residue off the front of my c-more lens, tried almost everything except a dremel?????? :closedeyes:

A little soap and water works well. I just figured that out the other day.

EG

Just keep a handful of those foil-packed, pre-moistened lens cloths in your shooting bag (e.g. Zeiss pre-moistened lens cleaning cloths [available at most any camera shop], Bausch & Lomb "Sight Savers," et al).

If you have a Costco near you, look for "Flents Wipe 'n' Clear" lens cleaning tissues - they come in a large dispenser box and are dirt cheap compared to Zeiss' or B&L's products...

• 1 year later...

This may stir conflict, but for those for whom nothing else has worked ...

After many years of use, I was so frustrated with the permanent haze on my Cmore lens that I was ready to replace the damn thing. I tried Hoppe's (applied with a firm Q-tip), and numerous alcohol wipes. Over, and over, and over. Finally, instead of reaching for the hammer, I tried Lime away (an acidic bathroom cleaner). Rub with a Q-tip, rinse with water, and vuala! Crystal clear lens.

Coatings still intact, and the thing looks new.

I don't shoot an open gun so I don't need to clean GSR off optics much. I did spend lots of time in precision optics and have cleaned REALLY expensive optics for all manner of applications. Any modern optics have coatings on them which, depending on the application, will have more or less Magnesium Fluoride, quartz, silicon and lots of other stuff, in different forms and even diamond now. Generally some of the best stuff to clean optics is not stuff you might expect.

Start with CHEAP detergent. If you read the label most of the product you buy at the store has sodium laurel sulfate in it. An industrial detergent that is the main ingredient is nearly everything. The cheapest, used to be stuff you bought in the generic isle called crystal white octagon, came in a big yellow bottle with a white plastic cap. No emollients or skin preserving components, just a little lemon scent. Perfect for cleaning coated optics and is inert on all but some exotic Infra Red optics made of or coated with zinc selenide which is easily damageable. Windex and similar products can etch coatings because of the ammonia.

Another excellent lens cleaner is alcohol. Denatured is preferred not rubbing type. Rubbing type has an emetic oil in it that's hard to remove.

Acetic Acid is wonderful for lots of different lens materials and coatings. Lab grade is pretty damn strong if you can get it and you'll need gloves and good ventilation. Apple vinegar will do and there is a cleaning product from Heinz that is distilled for greater acidity. This is excellent for oily residue from lots of sources.

One of the weirdest things I know of for removing stains from lenses is male nose grease! Yup kids, girls nose grease won't "cut" it!! ( Many of you may know that it works nicely to keep sectional fishing rods from sticking together as well). This is a top drawer stain remover for very pricey instrument optics and works well on optics made for laser application. (hint hint) Just rub your finger along side of your nose toward the end of the day when your nose is nice and oily and rub it on the lens. Rub it around with a clean tissue like kimwipes (if you want to get fancy) or Scott toilet paper. (1000 sheets per roll!) If you're cheap like me, then remove the residue with cheap detergent. I s*it you not, this is one of the best.

Acetone, and lacquer thinner are right in there too, with the usual admonishments about being careful of finishes of different sorts.

The lens tissue wiper above all else must be free of dirt and dust. In Colorado and many parts of the country dust particles have very hard silica and mineral components which will put micro scratches on coatings over time and degrade the performance of the coating. Works for eyeglasses also. Disposable wipers are the best. Micro fiber lens cloths are great too provided you keep them CLEAN.

Little edit here.

There is an Uber detergent you can use. TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) a weak solution of this stuff cleans an amazing array of things. Use with care especially on metal.

Lime-away- CLR. and potions of that sort, often have Phosphoric Acid in them among other aggressive "detergents" Don't use them too often or the "clean" may be the coatings being removed! Read the labels.

Edited by redmanfixit

After many years of use, I was so frustrated with the permanent haze on my Cmore lens that I was ready to replace the damn thing. I tried Hoppe's (applied with a firm Q-tip), and numerous alcohol wipes. Over, and over, and over. Finally, instead of reaching for the hammer, I tried Lime away (an acidic bathroom cleaner). Rub with a Q-tip, rinse with water, and vuala! Crystal clear lens.

I read this a few minutes ago and thought, what the heck, give it a try. I have (oops, had) a C-more I pulled off my open gun last week with plans to send it to the factory for a new lens. I'd tried everything posted on cleaning off the haze. I finally decided it was past the "haze stage" and was in the "damaged by idiot user" stage".

I put a little "Simple Green Lime Scale Remover" on a Q-tip and after several applications, the lens is bright and shiny. It looks like new.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill

• 2 years later...

I had some haze on the top of the lense that wouldn't come off with glass cleaner or even Hoppe's #9. The Lime Away solution worked perfect. I was also surprised by how much dirt was picked up by the Q-tip even after I thought I had clean it well with the glass cleaner and the Hoppe's. :surprise:

Just keep a handful of those foil-packed, pre-moistened lens cloths in your shooting bag (e.g. Zeiss pre-moistened lens cleaning cloths [available at most any camera shop], Bausch & Lomb "Sight Savers," et al).

If you have a Costco near you, look for "Flents Wipe 'n' Clear" lens cleaning tissues - they come in a large dispenser box and are dirt cheap compared to Zeiss' or B&L's products...

I get mine at WalMart, $2.50 for big box of lens wipes, just poke around the pharmacy department, like most stuff its in the last place you look. They have two brands both work well.

All kinds of things work if the scope isn't hazed a lot (and it's easier to keep that way, so get after it with the wipes whenever you can). If it is really hazed... get out the Hoppes #9, then the Lime Away or TSP if that doesn't do it.

I get mine at WalMart, $2.50 for big box of lens wipes, just poke around the pharmacy department, like most stuff its in the last place you look. They have two brands both work well.

This is exactly what I use and the box stays in my range bag.

I just used fire place window cleaner.....it's made for glass....work like a charm, and I then put X-Rain on it so I can wipe the lense during the match as soon as it become filty...always clear as glass :)

never thought of rain-X on the lens will have to give that a try, I have the presoaked towels in the truck

i ride bikes alot and for some reason gave this a try today just for cleaning in general: http://www.pedros.com/oranjpeelz.htm

works great and my gun smells good as well.

when I started shooting open and any haze or buildup gets cut through fast. just a drop of the stuff + a q tip or rag gets it like new regardless of the kind of buildup.

I have a shorty with a sideways mount so i get buildup on it pretty fast. Keep a small bottle of it in the range bag now.

going to give rain-x a try later today as rain is likely for a match tomorrow.