Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Cast Lead Blues

After a dismal showing yesterday on my favorite classifier, I have sworn off cast lead for matches. We were shooting "Bang and Clang, which is one that I practiced on specifically on Tuesday, and had my hopes up that I would burn it down, shooting 2 classifications above my current lowly D. It is a speed transition test to be sure, and after the first 4 shots, between the sweat running down my lenses {first time shooting without my boonie hat}, and the San Francisco Bay like powder fog in front of me, I had to actually pause for a second and a half to see the paper target in front of me. I caught a tiny glimpse of it, and sent two A's in, but the delay killled me.

On another stage, a STUPIDLY SIMPLE three target array with a no shoot in the middle, I mis-called a shot. I'm not blaming my exceedingly poor call on just the smoke, but it sure as hell didn't help. I had 2 nice hits on the center target, but thought I had pulled the second one to the right, so I let off a third one. I guess the no-shoot pissed me off, because I followed my 2 A hits with a shot to his white paper forehead.

I don't need any more handicaps other than my lack of ability at this time. No more CL for matches, but for practice only. In speed shoot stages, the cloud of powder smoke is BLINDING. Lesson learned.

I shoot a lot of lead but the only match I use it in is the monthly steel match.

Monthly club matches and bigger get jacketed bullets.

Neal in AZ

Yeah, Neal, but there's no humidity where you live. :)

What's really fun is shooting swaged lead with soft lube at a night match under lights with 95%+ humidity and no breeze!

Having said that, I've just bought 3k 122 grain LTCs for my 9x19s and 2.5k 158 grain LRNs for my .38 Specials. I'll be shooting lead for a while...

I shoot a lot of lead but the only match I use it in is the monthly steel match.

Monthly club matches and bigger get jacketed bullets.

Neal in AZ

Yeah, Neal, but there's no humidity where you live. :)

What's really fun is shooting swaged lead with soft lube at a night match under lights with 95%+ humidity and no breeze!

Having said that, I've just bought 3k 122 grain LTCs for my 9x19s and 2.5k 158 grain LRNs for my .38 Specials. I'll be shooting lead for a while...

Actually you would be surprised. It certainly isn't as bad as it gets in your neck of the woods but during Monsoon season here in AZ things can get very humid. I almost mentioned that in my first post because we just went through it and my lead loads smoked way more than usual.

Neal in AZ

I don't mind lead when I know there will be some air moving. I have practiced and shot matches with lead out an open gun many times.

I remember when single stack .38 Supers with single port comps were the hot setup, shooting 160 grain RNLs. Looked like a choo-choo train going by when they traversed across a set of targets... :rolleyes:

I don't mind lead when I know there will be some air moving. I have practiced and shot matches with lead out an open gun many times.

I remember when single stack .38 Supers with single port comps were the hot setup, shooting 160 grain RNLs. Looked like a choo-choo train going by when they traversed across a set of targets... :rolleyes:

I still got mine and my acurate arms #7 load data on the 155 gr swc's they were a blast. If I could reload just as fast as Jake and some others, well I would pull it out again.

I know that a lot of it has to do with the humidity...it just hangs in front of you, as thick as soup. I'll stick with the twice as expensive Berry's plated from now on. It only really becomes an issue when shooting fast like I mentioned up top, and it is definitely one way to bring all lanes at an indoor range to a complete halt by blinding all the other shooters. How do I know this? I just know :devil:

Maybe I am just used to shooting lead bullets all of the time, but I have never had any trouble with my Titegroup and 250gr LRNFPs that I use in CAS, IDPA, and IPSC. Then again I usually shoot better in low-light/night courses of fire. :blink:

Gave up on lead long ago.

All it took was one stage at a local match. Simple thing. Tabletop start. Hose a few then reload and go under the table to engage a few more only a few feet away. But ... each end of the table was blocked by no-shoots. One, to lower the light level and two, to prevent any breeze from blowing through the course.

My load at that time was a local lead bullet and WST in a .45. The smoke bellowed out from underneath the table. I know there were a few shots that were nothing but poke and hope.

Never again. Switched to Precision Moly and for the most part the smoke went away. I've since switched divisions and am shooting jacketed in matches. Once my lead is gone through practice it will be moly or jacketed from now on.

I used to use a lot of cast bullets and still use them but for the same reason I will not use them in big matches. I will still use them for fun shoots, smaller matches and practice. That said i will keep looking for a low smoke lube.

I used to use a lot of cast bullets and still use them but for the same reason I will not use them in big matches. I will still use them for fun shoots, smaller matches and practice. That said i will keep looking for a low smoke lube.

I've RO'D you, whatever lube your using now would set off a smoke detector a mile away. I have no clue how you see targets indoors.......That being said, since you shoot Limited, please continue :D:D

Oh see when I shoot them indoor I am practicing my ninja shooting. :ph34r:

I am using my minds eye. :D

Really the bullets I have been shooting in my Glock are store bouht and I don't know what lube is used.

BUT cheap bullets I have been using have dried up so I am going to be using something else or go back to casting my own.

• 1 month later...
Oh see when I shoot them indoor I am practicing my ninja shooting. :ph34r:

I am using my minds eye. :D

Really the bullets I have been shooting in my Glock are store bouht and I don't know what lube is used.

BUT cheap bullets I have been using have dried up so I am going to be using something else or go back to casting my own.

I'm relatively new to the sport so excuse the newbie question, but would moly coated lead reduce the smoke problem?

I'm relatively new to the sport so excuse the newbie question, but would moly coated lead reduce the smoke problem?

Yes, most of the smoke is from the lube. Most but not all. So the Moly bullets will smoke much less.

vrmn, cast your own and use Felix lube, a net search for Felix lube will bring up the recipe. Add 20% Mobil 1 synthetic grease and 2% pure carnuba car wax. The grease keeps it soft and flowing, the carnuba keeps the barrel looking like you just waxed it :D This recipe works as good as LBT Blue and possibly a bit better, with a little less smoke. I have been using my special mix for a long time and it flat works, I can go tens of thousands of rounds between cleanings with the revolvers and the lube fouling stays soft enough to go a couple thousand rounds on a 1911 45. With an alloy matched to the pressures it works great in 9mm and 40 too. The gun gets so nasty looking you clean it out of embarrassment.

Kingman, the open guns blow the smoke UP and out of our way.. try shooting a production gun with lead... painful.

Lead is great for matches but you need something coated for matches. some you can get away with lead.. others you HAVE to use JHP's because of low ceilings/stagnate air.

sorry to hear about what happened on the classifiers... trying is painful though, just relax and let it happen :)

I shot cast bullets in my .45 L-10 gun for several years. At least with a .45 you can use Clays and reduce the smoke as much as possible.

Being prepared means you have a supply of plated/jacketed bullets in case of speed shoots or unfriendly cast bullet weather.

Then I became a smoke wuss with my .40 Limited gun and hardly even practice with cast bullets when I have several thousand loaded and ready to go.

I shot last weekends match with half jacketed/half lead. Humidity was down (the biggest help), and there was a tad bit of a breeze. Down here where it is often 90% + humidity, I guess I have another variable to factor in on match day. Lesson learned.... bring equal amounts jacketed and lead, and shoot as best I can.