Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer follow

markwilliston

I've got a "new" used Edge in .40 I'm familiar with the previous owner and the guns history so I'm not stressed over it.

I was getting some weird malfunctions with it right off the bat. This was working up a load, so the PF was down around minor, and I am using about a 14lbs recoil spring. With 10 rounds in the magazine, I would get 2 or 3 shots off. Then, pull the trigger, bang, the gun cycles, but finished with the hammer down, and a loaded round in the chamber.. Cock the hammer, pull the trigger, and 2 or 3 rounds later the same thing happens.

Got home with the gun, started looking at it, took the trigger group out. It was major filthy/oily/grimey :) Cleaned it all up, and put it back together. Next time out, it did it once in 100 rounds. Still working up the PF, it's about halfway to major. I don't want to mess with the trigger cause everything about it feels great. I should have my match load up to major for tomorows practice, and I think I'm going to try a 10lbs recoil spring. Curious to see if it still does it.

Any ideas?

I've had the same problems with my Edge Mark. I tried a couple of things at the recommendation of my pistolsmith, and what seemed to fix it ( temporarily ) was backing the overtravel screw out just a touch. I don't like that fix because I feel like my trigger is not nearly as good as it was before. <_<

I've had the same problems with my Edge Mark. I tried a couple of things at the recommendation of my pistolsmith, and what seemed to fix it ( temporarily ) was backing the overtravel screw out just a touch. I don't like that fix because I feel like my trigger is not nearly as good as it was before. <_<

+1 had to do the same thing and at the same time i put a new main spring in it. Every since then it hasnt done it again. Now that i said that it will probably start fallowing <_<

There are several things that can cause this problem. The easiest to try is sear spring. If that does not work a heavier main spring and adjust your sear spring after you install the main spring. And if it is bad enough the sear or hammer will have to have the hooks reshaped or just replace them both. I have tried all and each gun is different setup. I can run 18# main spring and with a 1# trigger pull all day long when everything is setup right. I used my gun six months with a 14 ounce trigger pull and no failures. I just had to many trigger freezes; trigger not keeping up with me.

The below probably won't fix your problem (it sounds like something else), but...just in case....

Before you go changing anything, do this check (not for the meek):

1)

- Lock the slide back

- Drop the slide on an empty chamber

- Repeat 10X

2)

- Lock the slide back

- Pinch the trigger so that your fingers are against the frame. The idea being to physical pin the trigger in its most forward position.

- Drop the slide.

Repeat 10X

If the hammer "follows" during 1 and not during 2, what you have is an issue where the intertia of the trigger is firing the gun. The fix is more trigger return force and/or additional pre-travel. You really need at a minimum of 0.050 of pretravel. I like a bit more than that for peace of mind. If you can't live with the pre-travel (pre-travel is pretty transparent to me) then you'll have to add trigger return and sear weight until it stops.

The below probably won't fix your problem (it sounds like something else), but...just in case....

Before you go changing anything, do this check (not for the meek):

1)

- Lock the slide back

- Drop the slide on an empty chamber

- Repeat 10X

2)

- Lock the slide back

- Pinch the trigger so that your fingers are against the frame. The idea being to physical pin the trigger in its most forward position.

- Drop the slide.

Repeat 10X

If the hammer "follows" during 1 and not during 2, what you have is an issue where the intertia of the trigger is firing the gun. The fix is more trigger return force and/or additional pre-travel. You really need at a minimum of 0.050 of pretravel. I like a bit more than that for peace of mind. If you can't live with the pre-travel (pre-travel is pretty transparent to me) then you'll have to add trigger return and sear weight until it stops.

If the hammer wasn't following routinely before that test, it will be afterwards :surprise:

Not with a properly built gun with good parts it won't. I'm not recommending it as a dry fire technique, but it did get my "following" issue sorted out 100%. I know people are going to have a cow over it, but it beats the shit out of AD'ing when you're loading up. ;)

I've had this problem. I put just a little more tension on the sear finger of the sear spring. This solved my problem and didn't really add any perceptible weight to the trigger.

Chris

With a relatively light trigger ie:sub 2.5 lbs the tension on the sear finger is likely to be causing your problem. Either add tension or replace, but either way you will likely add a couple of ounces to your trigger pull. My trigger is set at 1lb 13oz and the sear spring tension is very critical. Either way this is a simple repair/test that can be done in minutes.

I've had this problem. I put just a little more tension on the sear finger of the sear spring. This solved my problem and didn't really add any perceptible weight to the trigger.

Chris

With a relatively light trigger ie:sub 2.5 lbs the tension on the sear finger is likely to be causing your problem. Either add tension or replace, but either way you will likely add a couple of ounces to your trigger pull. My trigger is set at 1lb 13oz and the sear spring tension is very critical. Either way this is a simple repair/test that can be done in minutes.

I didn't really think about the light triggers. Mine is probably closer to 3.5 #s. At my weight it wasn't noticable but probably would be for someone with a better trigger.

Chris

Appreciate the info and comments.

I put 150 rounds of 175 powerfactor ammo through it today, and it didn't hiccup once. EricW, tried that, didn't drop once either way. The only differences between shooting the gun the first time and today are recoilmaster swapped for steel guide rod w/ 12lbs recoil spring, and ammo PF going from 125 up to 175, and just cleaning everything up.

I read the Brazos tuning tips:

Brazos Trigger tuning tips

The gun passes on those tests. Right now the trigger is about 1 1/2 pounds, and crisp. I really like it. It's obviously not far from going south though, don't like that idea. The only part of the trigger group that didn't look 100% is the sear spring. I think I will order the Brazos trigger group package (2 friends have put it in and it's awesome). I'll test it out and have it as a backup. Probably also get another sear spring and see if we can make this group happier.

By springtime I'd like to have 2 trigger groups for the gun that are gonna be hiccup free :)

Not with a properly built gun with good parts it won't. I'm not recommending it as a dry fire technique, but it did get my "following" issue sorted out 100%. I know people are going to have a cow over it, but it beats the shit out of AD'ing when you're loading up. ;)

I do the same thing .

I just read the 9page thread on hammer follow.

Here is what I've found that can lead to hammer follow.

Pin holes too large or crooked, not parellel

Hammer strut contacting sear spring causing a loss of tension

Ramp angle too steep cause a momentary hault of the slide during feed

Barrel lugs hitting slide stop too soon, again haulting the slide during feed.

Too strong recoil spring, too low hammer spring.

Plus all the usual sear hammer spring stuff.

Running a light trigger means everything else has to be perfect.

Gunsmithing is an art and science.

If the hammer follow on the half cock just give more tension to the half leaf of the sear spring

If the hammer follow on the slide start to give more tension to the left leaf (sear leaf) of the sear spring, if it continue to follow give more tension also on the half leaf.

If and when I get a hammer follow I look at the middle finger of the sear spring first.

If it's not pushing the disconnector up fast enough (or at all) the bottom won't catch the sear feet

and if the sear doesn't catch the hammer then....

Look at that middle finger for wear marks from the hammer strut. If you're rubbing the spring with the strut you're loosing tension on that part of the spring and it's not pushing the disconnector up like it should.

It also soundslike that gun had allot of gunk in it's works that may have prevented it from working correctly. Shavings from the ejector etc can have an infuence on those parts.

If and when I get a hammer follow I look at the middle finger of the sear spring first.

If it's not pushing the disconnector up fast enough (or at all) the bottom won't catch the sear feet

and if the sear doesn't catch the hammer then....

Ditto, another little trick is to angle the sear spring lock tab (the tab at the base of the sear spring) so that it allows you to raise the contact height of each leaf on the sear and disconnector. This applies more leaf surface area/force to the disconnector and sear without increasing the trigger pull weight.

Had a very intermitent follow in My 6" Fat Free. Plagued me for about a year anda half. Benny recut EVERYTHING, Benny Replaced ALMOST everything. I tried a new disconector after talking with Kevin Toothman, and It is now 100% after about 2000 rounds. Don't forget the disconector! KURTM