Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Framed 5 inches Limited pistols

Julien Boit

Hi all,

I'm currently thinking about switching to a short framed pistol.

If you guys got pics of that kind of pistol, please feel free to post them.

I'm leaning on a 5 inches SV /STI with three sided slide, maybe a sight tracker with railed short frame.

Thanks in advance.

Julien,

After such a strong finish at the European (congratulations!) I am surprised you'd be thinking of changing platforms??

As long as you are going lighter... :cheers:

Hi all,

I'm currently thinking about switching to a short framed pistol.

I wondered how long it would be before someone posted a Glock!!! :lol:

Flex :

I noticed on practice that I had a tendency to drive the front of the pistol slower that the back.

This happened especially on transitions. At the Europeans, the transition were not that important as there were very few stages with targets close to each other.

Maybe I'll try a steel guide rod for a while and see what's coming out of it.

But I also really like the look and a rail short framed pistol.

I handled Even's pistol at the Match, and it swings pretty good.

:unsure:

Don't know what to do.........

Julien-

Here is one from my web-site. This one is made with a Commander length slide, but it could just as well be a Government length (5") slide. BUT the interesting thing is that IT IS a shorter (grip) framed gun, built to Officer's Model grip height. Now, if it was built with a full/standard length slide ... It does have the "rail" (abreviated) you mentioned.

Does it give you any ideas ???

RadCatSamples025.jpg

Julien-

Here is one from my web-site. This one is made with a Commander length slide, but it could just as well be a Government length (5") slide. BUT the interesting thing is that IT IS a shorter (grip) framed gun, built to Officer's Model grip height. Now, if it was built with a full/standard length slide ... It does have the "rail" (abreviated) you mentioned.

Does it give you any ideas ???

Yep, gives me an idea....wish they would let me carry one!

Julien,

don't listen to that bloody Norwegian, I talked to him and was convinced I needed to cut half my long dustcover off, but I still can't do a sub 4 El Pres!

It cost me $10 to get the gunsmith to do it, but I reckon I could have done just as well with a hacksaw.

I do think that, within reason, mucking around with guns is time and money better spent practicing with what you've got, though it is fun and a lesson I seem to need to relearn regularly.

In Beyond Fundamentals Brian mentions an optimum weight range for IPSC guns, I think he nailed it, my choice around 41 oz.

Regards,

P.D.