Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mag for .40 single stack

3gunnah

Does anyone know what brand of 10 round sstk mags Rob used at the L-10 Nationals? Does he shoot factory WW White box .40 ammo or handloads that are loaded long?

I just received two Wilson 47NX (10mm/.40S&W) mags the other day. They hold nine rounds and I can't wait to try them out this week.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Metalform 10mm ss w/basepad & metal follower is a very high quality magazine, and works flawlessly in my Trojan .40. Problem is...they are expensive! $40.00!!! They are beautifully made. If you are only shooting "short" .40, the Metalform .40 mags w/basepads are great also.

Larry

Shot a match Sat. with two stages over 30 rounds. Had to borrow a couple of Tripps from Ken A - bear... Not tuned for my gun and never tried in my gun prior to the match. Perfect. :cheers:

Kinda hard to improve on perfect....

If only I was worthy of a perfect mag,,, <_<

• 2 weeks later...
The Metalform 10mm ss w/basepad & metal follower is a very high quality magazine, and works flawlessly in my Trojan .40. Problem is...they are expensive! $40.00!!! They are beautifully made. If you are only shooting "short" .40, the Metalform .40 mags w/basepads are great also.

Larry

Are yours the 9 or 10 round version? It looks like they use different followers and the 9 rounder is a few bucks cheaper.

• 1 month later...
I don't have any personal experience with single stack .40 mags yet. I have a Wilson CQB .40 ordered. I was talking to Matt at Willson Combat the other day and he told me that they now have a .40 specific mag that would work on the CQB as well as 10mm's (Deltas, etc.).

FWIW,

Bob

I just bought one of the Wilson 40/10mm mags from Chuck at Shooter's Connection the other day but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. It's the Wilson 47NX.

• 9 months later...

For what's it worth: Tripps did not work in my frame (Kimber turned into a 40 with a Caspian slide) . During a speed reload when in slide lock the top bullet wanted to point to high, also the momentum of all the bullets would spread the lips and jam the mag in there. Chips mags worked real good but tough to clean. Wilson is making 40/10mm and have not had that problem although they are really pricey but if they work thats ok.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Tripp .40 mags in my custom STI single stack. They have run flawless for the past 2000 rounds. They have spacers in them and only allow max length ammo of about 1.160". If I would have known...I would have ordered the 10mm mags without the spacer in the rear and continued to run my ammo as long as I do in my limited gun which is 1.190". Also....the 10mm mags have a different type nylon follower than the .40 mags. The .40 mags have a spring steel type follower.

I have a bunch of the CMC mags but they are the shooting star type and I would rather have power mag type. I'm not a big fan of the wilson polymer follower so I'm going to start buying some Tripps as money allows and if they work phase out all my cmcs for all my 1911s.

Hello: You can install different followers in any of the mags if you wish. I found the Metalform 45 mags with the metal round top followers worked the best. Either the 7 round 45 mags(hold 8rounds of 40) or the 8 round Elite 45 mags hold 9 rounds of 40. Some around here are using Tripp followers in there mags. He makes a metel and a plastic/metal followers. Hope this is useful. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
I just use my Wilson 47D 45 ACP mags and don't have any problems in my STI 1911 .40. I have two of the new Wilson 40s and various others I got with the gun, they all work the same.

I wish I would have known this.

I just sold all of my Wilson 47D's to a very lucky guy and now I'm in need of getting some 10mm magazines for my new Fusion 40 cal 1911, so I did search here and what do ya know there is plenty of info to look at.

Looks like Tripp will be getting my business.

I just use my Wilson 47D 45 ACP mags and don't have any problems in my STI 1911 .40. I have two of the new Wilson 40s and various others I got with the gun, they all work the same.

I just sold all of my Wilson 47D's to a very lucky guy and now I'm in need of getting some 10mm magazines for my new Fusion 40 cal 1911, so I did search here and what do ya know there is plenty of info to look at.

I never had much luck with th whole 40 in .45 mag thing in my guns. I do like my Tripp System mags though.

How are you using a 45 rd. mag to shoot 40 cal. bullets from?

Please explain why the 40's will not fall out of the wider 45 cal. feed lips?

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

It seems that if the .45 feed lips are correct distance apart that its close but the .40 rounds won't fall out. Now if the feed lips spread all bets are off.

Hello: Most 45acp mags have the feed lips around 0.380" wide or so. A good distance for 40 on the feed lips is around 0.380"-0.394". So the stock 45acp mags will work in the 40 and will hold one more round. The real trick is the follower design in 40. I like the metal round top Metalform follower. It feeds very well and activates the slide stop better than most of the plastic or spring type followers. In the end it really comes down to what your pistol likes :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I"m a big fan of the Tripp 10mm mags for both my .40s. As mentioned previously though, only get the 10mms if you load long, otherwise go w/the 40 mags. I have ran some wilson 8rd 45 mags & they work but, I dont trust them as much.

What am I missing?

It seems that if the .45 feed lips are correct distance apart that its close but the .40 rounds won't fall out. Now if the feed lips spread all bets are off.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Tried it. I'll be darned, it worked!

Learned something today.

Thanks!

My order of Tripp 10mm magazines came in. I can't express how impressed I am with how these magazines look. I have the new hybrid follower that looks ROCK SOLID. Just gotta get a new bushing in my Fusion and I'll be trying those mags out. All seat nicely with the S&A mag well, and all fall out quickly as well.

These things look like they are built like a tank.

Nice job Tripp.