Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm on 1050 or 550?

I have a 1050 set up to do 38 Super and a 550 (with casefeeder) set up to do either 45 auto, 357 sig, or 50ae. If I wanted to start reloading 9mm, as I plan to shoot more of that, what would be the most economical:

1. Keep buying bulk packs of WWB at Wally World.

2. Set up the 550 to load 9mm. Cost of getting a 9mm setup with dies, conversion kit, casefeeder conversion etc? What would I need to get?

3. Set up the 1050 to do the 9mm. Cost of getting a 9mm setup with dies, conversion kit, casefeeder conversion etc? What would I need to get?

4. Which would be easier to convert to 9 mm, I assume the 550.

If I buy a setup for either 550 or 1050 will I really end up saving $$$ over the Wally World bulk packs (now at $15.70 here in NH). Brass would be basically free and I have a good variety of powders.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello: I vote to reload the 9mm. You find brass everywhere and it will cost less than WWB. How many rounds of 9mm do you shoot? If you shoot alot of 9mm I would get the dies for the 1050 and don't look back. There is a 1050 manual you can download on the Dillon site that gives the parts needed for the conversions of different calibers(very helpful). I am in the process of setting up 9mm on my RL1050 right now. It is going to be so much faster than my Square Deal B. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I switch from 38 Supercomp to 9mm and back on my 1050 every so often. Those two require changing the shellplate, but that's not a big deal since you have the toolhead off anyway.

It's about a 10-15-minute conversion if you have a separate toolhead.

So, in summary, if I already do 38 super (not comp) I can keep the same shellplate and buttons and just change the toolhead with a set of dies set up for 9mm. Would not have to change anything in casefeeder or KISS bulletfeeder. Is that the bottom line?

Is changing toolhead easy as undoing bolt? Is there any aligning to do when putting a new toolhead on?

Anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Glyn,

My 1050 was set up for 38 Super. When I shot 9x21 all I did was change the sizing die. and adjust the rest. No shell plate or button change. Now, it's churning out .40 S&W.....same shell plate and buttons! Change it over....load a ton of 9mm then change it back for Super.

Nice shooting with you at the Sectional too.

Dan

Changing calibers and shellplates in 1050's are a PITA. when i bought my RL 1050 i asked the guys in Dillon to set it up for 40sw , now i reload only 9mm on the press with a 40sw shellplate and the same toolhead ,all i have to do is change the dies ,powder drop and Locator buttons ....thats the beauty of having ONLY to load small pistol

Even though Glyn and I discussed this on the phone this morning... for the benefit of future surfers... The only difference between a 1050 in 38 Super and a 1050 in 9mm is the Dies in the machine. So if you have a 1050 in 38 Super and you want to load 9mm on it, get a 1050 Quick-Change Toolhead and 9mm Dies and you'll be all set.

be

So, in summary, if I already do 38 super (not comp) I can keep the same shellplate and buttons and just change the toolhead with a set of dies set up for 9mm. Would not have to change anything in casefeeder or KISS bulletfeeder. Is that the bottom line?

Is changing toolhead easy as undoing bolt? Is there any aligning to do when putting a new toolhead on?

You'll want to get an extra KISS die-- whatever they call the threaded metal part that goes in the toolhead-- makes swapping toolheads a matter of undoing the little setscrew on one, popping out the plastic parts, and reversing that on the other (swap the tiny setscrew for a socket-head cap screw in the right size and you can just finger-tighten it which saves a lot of re-adjusting time time and fussing around)

You might need to tweak the swager-- I only use it in 9mm, so I adjust for that and ignore it for Supercomp.

Yep,

Just get a new 1050 (if I had your money, I'd throw mine away), another Kiss die & use the same Kiss feeder to load both machines!

PS, Hope your loading 9MM 'cause your going production!

:goof::lol::yawn:

So what are you shooting 9 in?

Now that I think about it..............maybe I'll dust off the Glock 34 and give Elye a run for his money. I saw he was sitting in 37th place at the Production Nationals, pretty good for a GMPS guy!

So what are you shooting 9 in?

Now that I think about it..............maybe I'll dust off the Glock 34 and give Elye a run for his money. I saw he was sitting in 37th place at the Production Nationals, pretty good for a GMPS guy!

Where were you on Sunday

Had a bunch of stuff to take care of here in NH as I am leaving tomorrow to go shoot the Long Island Championship this weekend. Will catch up to you guys in October.

Now.............go make the world safe from all the criminals.