Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just put my application in the mail, this morning.

Thinking about flying into Fort Myers/St Augustine. Any traffic issues twixt there and Frostproof? Skybus (www.skybus.com) has ridiculously low prices ($40 each way), if I'm willing to drive an hour from Raleigh to Greensboro....For the past matches I've flown into Orlando, but always seem to get stuck in road construction or congestion.

st. augustine is about 3 hours away, no traffic issues if you don't mind the drive. I am just south of st. augustine and it took me about 2 hours to get there.

st. augustine is about 3 hours away, no traffic issues if you don't mind the drive. I am just south of st. augustine and it took me about 2 hours to get there.

That is flying, its about 180 miles between the 2.

Mikes timing looks about right????

It will run a bunch quicker with dedicated RO's and the normal helpers.

If we could only get the Winghouse and Hooters girls to paste? :surprise:

I am thinking Friday.

As has already been mentioned, confirmations will primarily be made via e-mail so please write your e-mail addresses clearly.

I hear that they have recently received several applications that did not include an e-mail address, or had an illegible address.

If you sent in an application, more than a few days ago, you should have received an e-mail confirmation. If you have NOT received an e-mail confirmation, you should contact Wadette (wadette@embarqmail.com) to confirm you application has been received.

Leo

Big Guy,

Didn't you learn your lesson when shooting the Monster Match all in one day?

Yes, I know.

However, between shooting the match in one day vs. spending two half-days at Frostproof with all the excitement that goes along with it, I’ll take the first option.

This one should go smoother, as the squads and stages are a lot smaller.

By the way, I did received the brass today.

How can you say that? A bunch of us are planning to buy a six pack of Pepsi and spend Saturday night chugging colas, chewing on some beef jerky and watching the oranges ripen. You're going to miss all the fun! :surprise::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by XD Niner

• 4 weeks later...

A few folks have inquired about the match fee going up on 1-1-08, as that was the date listed on the published application. The correct date for the fee increase should be 1-15-08 and all applications received by 1-15-08 will be accepted at the $200 rate. After 1-15-08 the fee will increase to $225.

I am told that 50+ guns will be up for grabs and rumors have circulated that the numbers of guns awarded could rise to as high as 70 or 80+ if all of the sponsor commitments come through. This should be the biggest prize table in Florida Open history.

A few folks have inquired about the match fee going up on 1-1-08, as that was the date listed on the published application. The correct date for the fee increase should be 1-15-08 and all applications received by 1-15-08 will be accepted at the $200 rate. After 1-15-08 the fee will increase to $225.

I am told that 50+ guns will be up for grabs and rumors have circulated that the numbers of guns awarded could rise to as high as 70 or 80+ if all of the sponsor commitments come through. This should be the biggest prize table in Florida Open history.

I can hardly stand the wait!!! It'll be here before we know it though. :cheers:

To any Minnesota shooters.... I'll bring copies of my FFL so if we are some of the REALLY luck ones and win a pistol, you'll be able to take it home with you and avoid the shipping charges.

Edited by Zerwas

Hi Guys, I will be shooting the Florida Open this year.

It is my fist time in USA and so I have no idea about a things in Florida and the Florida Open.

I tried to book a room at the Hotels previously mentioned in this thread, but all of them were booked up.

So I booked at one from Franks list:

The Green Gables Inn in Lake Wales.

Does anybody know this Hotel?

Is it good, bad or average in cleanliness, comfort and cost???

Also, what sort of weather will it be like in Feb?

Will it be a t shirt and shorts weather?

and

Are the Ranges built on sand or Gravel or???

i.e. what type shoes?

and if there is any general advise that I would not think of in comparison of shooting in Europe?

But whatever, I am really looking forward to it.

Hi Guys, I will be shooting the Florida Open this year.

It is my fist time in USA and so I have no idea about a things in Florida and the Florida Open.

I tried to book a room at the Hotels previously mentioned in this thread, but all of them were booked up.

So I booked at one from Franks list:

The Green Gables Inn in Lake Wales.

Does anybody know this Hotel?

Is it good, bad or average in cleanliness, comfort and cost???

Also, what sort of weather will it be like in Feb?

Will it be a t shirt and shorts weather?

and

Are the Ranges built on sand or Gravel or???

i.e. what type shoes?

and if there is any general advise that I would not think of in comparison of shooting in Europe?

But whatever, I am really looking forward to it.

Yaarr -- I'll let the natives answer the Florida weather questions, but I've stayed at the Green Gables 3x -- twice for the Open, and once for a class. Thought it was a decent enough motel for the price. Rooms were reasonably clean, and there's a free continental breakfast, so you can at least grab a cup of coffee and a doughnut or something. It's about 15-20min from the range, but an easy drive. There are a couple restaurants a short drive from the motel, and a pretty, uh, bland restaurant and bar adjacent to the motel.

Ranges are grassy-dirt: I'm bringing cleats, myself, this year.

Thanks for the info.

I had tried quite a few other places both online and on the phone, but all are booked up on the 8th.

I will shoot the Sat/Sunday, as I figured that although the Friday will have less waiting time between stages, I figure that a 300 round match will be pretty tiring, so I wanted to split that up.

What do you guys think?

Last year was pretty chilly - below freezing at 7am when the shooting started. But, my understanding is that's not typical... But, "Frostproof" is perhaps a little misleading :D