Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the hot holster for S_I Limited?

tTito

I have a new SVI Limited gun on order. I've been using a Safariland for my open gun, the kind where the trigger guard "clicks" into holster.

Most guys seem to be using the locking type with a release such as the Ghost these days, however.

What are you using and why do you like it?

DOH!!!

I just shot with Manny and Ted and all three of us shot DOH's and standard position mags.

If you're going to be a dedicated Limited guy, and not swing back and forth to open, then the DOH is plenty fast enough (sub 1.00 regularly) and very secure. Best $65 you'll spend in this sport. :cheers:

If I didn't need a gun hanging out in the breeze I would still be using a DOH. It is FASTER for me than the CR I am using, possibly more secure (never had a problem with either holster) and just an AWESOME holster at half the price of all the race holsters.

I have a new SVI Limited gun on order. I've been using a Safariland for my open gun, the kind where the trigger guard "clicks" into holster.

Most guys seem to be using the locking type with a release such as the Ghost these days, however.

I've got a Guga Ribas for my Limited and Open guns...awesome holster, but pricey. I went that way so that I could use one holster for two guns....well that and it looks really cool :D

I got a good deal on the Ribas, but if I hadn't, I like the Ghost and the Limcat too. I had a Safariland 012 and while it was nice it didn't offer the range of adjustment I wanted (position wise) and you had to change stuff for different barrel length guns.

I've got a DOH for my single stack and a backup DOH for my Limited gun is on the way. You really don't give up much, if anything with them and you can't be the price. I'd expect that the better you get the less difference there is between a "race" holster and a DOH. In the beginning you might give up a couple of tenths, but there are more places to find that time than in the draw when you're getting started.

I have a Comp-Tac on the way for my 610 and I'm curious to compare it to the DOH, quality wise. I went with it because I could get one in a week rather than in the five weeks it takes to get a DOH.

Hello: For cool factor the Gugas is hard to beat. For security the DOH or the Comp Tac holsters. The quality is better on the Comp-tac than the DOH I have I think. Like some have told me just pick one and practice. I think a good belt does more than anything else. The CR speed is hard to beat. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Bart,

You can borrow my Ghost for a while if you want, preferably after Nationals.

Paul

Hey Paul,

You trying to make me a convert? ;) If I got a smokin' deal on another SSI or Ghost I'd probably do it just to have a backup, but then I'd probably decide I like one better than the other and have to buy a second one! You going to practice on Sunday?

Bart

Blade Tech DOH.

Secure and, according to my timer, just as fast.

Years ago, picking up a mag, my Lim gun hit the gravel. That was my old 010.

After that, with the CR, and 012, I was always holding the gun and picking up with my weak hand.

Now I don't have to worry about it.

DOH!!!

I just shot with Manny and Ted and all three of us shot DOH's and standard position mags.

If you're going to be a dedicated Limited guy, and not swing back and forth to open, then the DOH is plenty fast enough (sub 1.00 regularly) and very secure. Best $65 you'll spend in this sport. :cheers:

Big +1. Worst part of being an RO is having to issue a DQ; of those few DQs I have had to issue, at least 2 were for dropped loaded guns that fell out of race holsters. I've used race holsters (ghost, limcat & CR speed); still do for revolver. But if I had to do it again for limited, I'd use a Kydex. Its just as fast.

I :wub: my Guga Ribas. Fast, secure, lightweight, multi-positional, draw tension adjustment, and two locked positions. The quality and workmanship are exceptional. I have an open gun on order and I already have my 2nd Guga to set up that rig. I've used comp-tac and cr-speed. I didn't care for the comp-tac but the cr-speed is also a very good rig, just a little more bulk than I wanted. The Guga is pricey :unsure: and I'm just a work'n stiff like most but I don't mind paying for quality.

Just my opinion...hope it helps :)

Oh and BTW, I'm not a sales rep

I have a DOH set up for SS. Limcat for open

I have complete rigs of Safariland 011/012, Houge and Bianchi Hemisphere but I dont know why I always pick up the belt with DOH for L and L10

By the way they are all on CR belts except the Bianchi.

I like my Ghost cause its the exact same rig, Open, Limited, Limited 10.

+1 for the Ghost B)

I have seen guys use Velcro straps on their gun while in the Ghost ... and I have seen guys use a rubber-band on the locking lever (to keep it locked) ... and I see lots of people "hold it in" while picking up brass or mags ..... but I have shot 5 major matches this year (4 in open, 1 Limited) and have not had my gun fall out once. It's all about TRUST! I trust my holster just like i trust my sights, and I trust my gun. ;)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Open and Limited: CR Speed

L10 and 3 gun: Safariland 560 (can be adjusted for singlestack and doublestack, but it's not DOH)

IDPA: LE duty rig/Safariland 6280

Others I've used:

Safariland 012: bulky for me, not nearly secure enough

Limcat: like it a lot, but prefer the "pull-through" feature of the CR speed

I REALLY liked the Guga Ribas that I saw a SSI's booth at the Open Nationals. The ability to bag/unbag a holsered gun is very nice.

Open and Limited: CR Speed

L10 and 3 gun: Safariland 560 (can be adjusted for singlestack and doublestack, but it's not DOH)

IDPA: LE duty rig/Safariland 6280

Others I've used:

Safariland 012: bulky for me, not nearly secure enough

Limcat: like it a lot, but prefer the "pull-through" feature of the CR speed

I REALLY liked the Guga Ribas that I saw a SSI's booth at the Open Nationals. The ability to bag/unbag a holsered gun is very nice.

The problem with the Ribas, besides price, is getting one. I don't know why they insist on having only one supplier here in the U.S. but it seems like they're out of stock more often than not.

I really like my Guga Ribas for Limited. I never worry that the gun will fall out, but it is a possibility if one doesn't pay attention.

To me, the Ribas is just a refined Ghost that locks easier. I still use an old style Ghost for L-10 and my wife uses a new style Ghost for her Limited G35. She loves it and has used a Ghost since she started shooting USPSA, without mishap. A solid Pre and Post routine solves any problems with race holsters.

Is a race holster worth the effort? Only you can say. I like them because I can place the gun exactly where I want it, and the draw ends up being nothing much beyond gripping the gun and assuming my index. My wife likes them for the same reason. I have limited shoulder mobility, so drawing from a standard holster can be a pain.

I don't know about the coolness factor, as race rigs are old hat at matches, but damned if they don't attract attention the second you're away from a USPSA match.

I have a Ghost for my Open STI based gun that I really love. It is great for that purpose and very secure. I would buy another one again in a heart beat.

That said, if I were in Limited I'd go with the DOH without a second's thought. I have one for my L-10 1911 and it is outstanding. As several others have said, it gives up nothing on speed and is extremely secure. It doesn't need any levers to be set and is about half the price of a Ghost.

Edited by XD Niner