Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best place to get 123A batteries?

splashdown

I'm in need of more 123A batteries for my M3 light. I've bought the 12 packs of surefire batts in the past, but wondered if anyone here has any other recommendations. Rechargables would be awesome, but from my brief search it doesn't look like they're available. I found a brand called Pentagon lights and they sell their batts cheaper than surefire. Any others? Does Duracell or Energizer sell the 123A size at the local mega marts? Who sells the 123A at the most reasonable cost?

splashdown

I've ordered from Surefire in the past as they had the best price I could find and I know that's what we buy as an organization...hadn't heard of Pentagon lights before, but I did work at the real one for a while ;)

Keep an eye out at your local 'corner drugstores' too. A while back I found Energizers at CVS drugstores for $2.99 a 2-pack with a manufacturers coupon attached for $3 off. :surprise:

Yes you read that right. They actually owed me $0.01 back at the end of the transaction. I picked up all they had at that store, and then moved on to 5 other stores in the Dayton area. I ended up with 10 2-packs for something like $10 (not ALL of them had the coupons attached)

B)

Be careful with some of the cheaper brands of batteries. The office just switched to a cheaper brand and they suck. I'm getting lights back all the time with "new" batteries that don't work. Drop in a couple SureFire's and they light right up. Some of the cheap imports don't include a thermal cutoff and can explode if left on. Ever notice how hot a SureFire gets if you leave it on in your pocket?

Splashdown,

If you get the rechargable 123's, let me know how they work. I've got numerous Surefire lights for work and would be interested in how they hold up. I bought a pack of 100 a few years ago for $75 and they are an off brand, something like Lisun or Alisun. I think they might have even been from Amondo Tech. They are decent, but not Surefires. They last about 2/3 or 3/4 as long, but I have quite a few, so I don't mind so much. I know traditionally Surefire does not recommend their rechargable lights as of now and until they improve their rechargable technology, but I don't know if that would apply to those rechargables. I do remember Surefire stating that the technology needed for dependable rechargable batteries and lights is just not out there right not, but they were working on it.

Also, a little caution in dealing with Botach. Ive ordered from them several times and their cust service is a bit to be desired. They take their time and are in no rush to get you your stuff. Plus, some of the items listed they don't have, but they don't say anything until you call. They have great toys and looks great, but realize you're going to wait a while to get it. They don't rush.

Also, a little caution in dealing with Botach. Ive ordered from them several times and their cust service is a bit to be desired. They take their time and are in no rush to get you your stuff. Plus, some of the items listed they don't have, but they don't say anything until you call. They have great toys and looks great, but realize you're going to wait a while to get it. They don't rush.

That is the most generous thing I've heard anyone say about Botach. It's a heck of a lot nicer than what I would say about them if this wasn't Brian's forum.

+1 with Chuck on Botach

Also stay with a quality battery. We just had two lights fail that had only been on about 5 minutes. They were powered by second rate chinese batteries. The batteries got hot enough in that time to not only rupture but also put enough heat into the flashlight head to cause the lenses to shatter.

I would stick with surefire batts.

Unless you are going to carry a standard set of batteries as a backup to rechargables, I would avoid them. Other than the memory problems (which is being avoided by not using NiCad any longer but nickel-metal-halide) they do not die gradually, warning you that they are going, they just quit. If you look at a discharge graph there is a "knee" where the battery current drops to near-zero when the voltage gets to a certain level.

FWIW

dj

Unless you are going to carry a standard set of batteries as a backup to rechargables, I would avoid them. Other than the memory problems (which is being avoided by not using NiCad any longer but nickel-metal-halide) they do not die gradually, warning you that they are going, they just quit. If you look at a discharge graph there is a "knee" where the battery current drops to near-zero when the voltage gets to a certain level.

FWIW

dj

Lithium cells have a pretty good knee to them as well... why scope dots seem to just go out all of a sudden..

discharge-chemistry.gif

LA Police Gear sells the Battery Station 123's which seem to always end up in the upper end of the rating spectrum. Good value and little purchasing risk, unlike that other place in LA.

Eric's tip about lapolicegear is interesting: They offer two bulk 123-battery packages (50-count and 30-count) for $1 each and a-little-over-a-dollar-each*, respectively. That's pretty affordable! :surprise:

(that's per-battery, folks.)

Eric's tip about lapolicegear is interesting: They offer two bulk 123-battery packages (50-count and 30-count) for $1 each and a-little-over-a-dollar-each*, respectively. That's pretty affordable! :surprise:

(that's per-battery, folks.)

extremely affordable. I spent $2 per battery yesterday at a gun show for sure fire batteries and thought I was getting a deal :(

dj