Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ebay

Merlin Orr

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the blogsite "Shooting with Hobie", his latest entry is titled "GunsAmerica and Auction Arms Move to Exploit eBay's "Safety" Decision".

Apparently these folks took notice of eBay's decision and decided to prosper from it. The more agressive, the better.

Hopefully once all the gun parts and brass sellers have moved their accounts over, the prices may reflect the larger market.

Bill

http://home.comcast.net/~parslowb/blogger.html

Here is what I posted on the Ebay discussion boards.

Using your line of thinking, Ebay should no longer carry cell phones because some of the IEDs in Iraq could have been set off by cell phones sold on Ebay. Ebay has the right to restrict the items it sells and I have the right to NEVER buy another single item on Ebay.

Although, I loath Ebay and PayPal, they have to potential to reach far more customers than AuctionArms and Gunbroker. This will certainly affect sellers of gun parts and related items.

I have been involved in hundres of transactions with AA and GB for many years and have never had a bad experience.

Bottom line is we need to let everyone know of their existence and speak with our wallets!

Although, I loath Ebay and PayPal, they have to potential to reach far more customers than AuctionArms and Gunbroker. This will certainly affect sellers of gun parts and related items.

I have been involved in hundres of transactions with AA and GB for many years and have never had a bad experience.

Bottom line is we need to let everyone know of their existence and speak with our wallets!

Besides my site that I am working on www.AllThatIsGuns.com and the above who else exists? auction type or classified?

My father always tried to say something positive about all things... so here is my feeble attempt:

It should be noted that EBay did finally overcome their greed to follow their moral beliefs. They should be praised for that. (Even though they are wrong!!!)

Secondly the new EBay, GunsAmerica will be completed unreachable by my computer through my hardware firewall because "Click Through Advertising" is not allowed. Cool -- less chance of me spending money on any new guns or toys.

(Just for you all who don't know what this is...

Click Through Advertising has been around for a very long time. (DoubleClick or Gator might be names you know.) Most people who do "Free web sites" (ha ha) have it. You first usually see 3 columns with a header and footer sections. One column usually is the web site and all the rest is advertising.

Now every link you click any link or picture actually deposits some cookie file or picture file on your computer before you go to where you just clicked. These files or cookies have the ability to first determine who you are and where you are. Some files produced by various advertisers and spyware vendors can also extract your address books, favorites, install programs in the background or even bypass your virus program and install some form of download virus.

Now after all this is done the website that has the Click Through Advertising is paid $$$ for extracting your personal info or tracking your movements or sending you more pop ups or advertising in your email or on your computer directly.

If this forum was Click Through Advertising like some other gun forums are. Brian would make an extra $400 or so a month.

All Click Through Advertising is about one thing only.... GREED. "Money is the root of all kinds of evil." Ever hear that one?

Now to help protect yourself you should never use Internet Explorer to browse the Internet. Use Firefox, SeaMonkey or Opera. When in those browsers you start finding blank pages when you click on items abandon the web site before worst things happen.

Edited by ButchW

If they're going to ban all gun stuff then don't ya think well the shooter was wearing shoes and socks too. Ebay should ban the sell of those things too. He probobly drove a car , we better ban the sell of cars too. You know since the rules have to fit the masses. When will they ( the world) realize, there are nuts out there and unfortunate things like this happens. I bet if we were all armed he might not have takes so many lives. George Washing said "a free people ought to be armed". Its a fight that will never end. :ph34r: got to love america!

I need to retract my statement about Ebay overcoming greed to do what they think is right.

They didn't. Notice the Dell advertisements? They exchanged greed for even more evil and sold out the gun owners in the process.

Butch

Assault Rock was good but why not put up "The most Dangerous Weapon -- A baseball bat because everyone knows how to use it"

All Pro-Gun people can also take the other approach too...

Do what I have done..

Look up items you normally buy in the bullets & brass world...

Ask seller a question?

In the question tell them where they can get free bullet & brass advertising. And ask them to pass it along. Many have already posted the question that gives other the opportunity to see.

Butch

Edited by ButchW

Here's what I sent:

I would like to express my disappointment to this new policy. Many good people have bought and sold firearms related items on your site. Most have been used for good. I know of law enforcement officers who have bought such items. I know of military people who have benefited from buying firearms related items such as magazines. There are competitive shooters that utilized Ebay to help them buy items cheaply. You let one pathetic psychopath dictate what thousands of law-abiding people cannot do? If not for your site, the VT shootings would still have happened. If not for VT policy, the number of casualties would have been significantly less (but that’s a topic for another discussion). Allow me to make some comparison as to what your policy equates to:

- Knives used daily in murders around the world. Should knives not be banned from your site as well?

- Baseball bats are also used in murders. I believe all baseball related items should also be banned. Metal cleats can really hurt.

- And automobiles kill more people daily than any other tool used by man. Shouldn’t automobile parts be banned as well?

Thanks,

Here's what I received:

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your recent email to Matt Halprin in regard to changes to our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. He has asked that I review your email and respond on his behalf.

Let me start by saying that I understand that this is a very frustrating situation. Like the rest of the nation, eBay was deeply saddened and shocked by the events at Virginia Tech and we felt that it was not only appropriate, but necessary, to revisit our related policies. While nothing purchased on our site was illegal in any way, we felt compelled to ask ourselves some tough questions and ensure we do everything possible to provide a safe and trusted marketplace.

We have always valued an open and transparent marketplace; if items are legal to buy and sell in an unrestricted manner we allow them on our site. However, there are some items that while legal, may not be safe for our marketplace. In these instances, our applicable policies go beyond the law to ensure that our marketplace is safe.

I understand your comparison to knives, baseball bats, and automobiles.

However, the main purpose, and use, of those items is different from the purpose of a firearm. We do not allow actual firearms on the site, and after careful consideration our executives and our Trust and Safety team determined that any item required to fire a gun has no place on eBay.

All of our policies are under constant review. As the Internet and the way our communities use the Internet evolves, our policies and our marketplace must evolve with it. We determined that this policy change was in the best interest of promoting a safe marketplace for all members.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for the inconvenience it caused you.

Sincerely,

Terri

Office of the President

Here's my reply:

Can you please explain how you came to the conclusion that selling firearms related item makes your marketplace "unsafe"? Are the people buying firearms related items the same people who are going out on killing sprees? Are all the firearms related items being used criminally? Can you “ensure” that the market place is safe by this action? Or are you just content to feel you are keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals AND people who need them to defend themselves. And the main purpose of firearms is not for murdering people – it is for the defense of lives.

Thanks,

Since the guy had clothes, shoes, underwear, watch, used shampoo, soap, brushed his teeth, drove a car, ebay should ban all those items on ebay though not illegal were used by this guy. This is just plain ignornant but does not surprise me, this is just someones anti gun agenda.

Flyin

Now this is priceless:

EBay auction for Assault Rock

WAS priceless...

This listing (170136134592) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled.

-Chet

HEHE...i use to do gun shows for a living...back when the ass/you/alt ban came out..2 brothers from Ga,came up with the idea..i saw them while doing a show in Atlanta...10 sleeves of rocks to a case...now don't laugh, i bought 50 case's.....now you can laugh...no joke i sold out wihtin 3 months...no telling how many got sent to Washington,addressed to Mr. Clinton...ended up selling another 80 cases,then the brothers had the phone disconnected,and i never saw them again... <_<

If they're going to ban all gun stuff then don't ya think well the shooter was wearing shoes and socks too. Ebay should ban the sell of those things too. He probobly drove a car , we better ban the sell of cars too. You know since the rules have to fit the masses. When will they ( the world) realize, there are nuts out there and unfortunate things like this happens. I bet if we were all armed he might not have takes so many lives. George Washing said "a free people ought to be armed". Its a fight that will never end. :ph34r: got to love america!

He also used a chain to chain the doors locked - are they banned on Ebay as well?

Apparently if you are not a user of ebay you can't post a question. With the current recalls I was going to ask if they would remove Furniture, TV's, ranges, TV stands, shelves, bookcases, dressers, desks, and chests. Acording to the CPSC:

#3 Furniture, TVs and ranges can tip over and crush young children. Deaths and injuries occur when children climb onto, fall against or pull themselves up on television stands, shelves, bookcases, dressers, desks, and chests. TVs placed on top of furniture can tip over causing head trauma and other injuries. Items left on top of the TV, furniture, and countertops, such as toys, remote controls and treats might tempt kids to climb. [*]

This averages in 22 deaths per year!!!, in addition to 3000 injuries. We are talking children here! But of course I guess people would just buy their TV's from Walmart then... :blink:

Ira

[*] http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml07/07256.html

Edited by iweiny

Changing the subject just slightly: eBay just announced that they're also coming down harder now on sellers with 95% (or less) feedback ratings. It sounds like they're going to be restrictive on people who can't seem to do business well or intelligently. I rather welcome this. Time to weed out people who have chronic customer service problems--no matter how big or small a seller they are.

The deputy that is my boss (re: my volunteer gig) at the Jail was appalled to hear about the ban on gun parts and gun-related items on eBay. He kept using the word "stupid" over and over...... :D He agreed that people will just take their business elsewhere. <_<

He agreed that people will just take their business elsewhere. <_< [/color]

WHERE?

I can't tell anyone about free advertising for bullets & brass because that is advertising.

So why don't some of the rest of you "Step up to the plate" and set up free advertising and tell the rest of us about it.

The Ebay thing did a great blow to the gun people as a whole. It will run some pro-gun people out of business. Other hunting or weapons will be next, just a matter of time.

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... they still sell tons on reloading parts from Dillon/Lee/RCBS etc, but no components such as brass or bullets. What the hell is the criteria for these kooks to determine what can and can't be sold? OTOH, I did in fact find an auction where the guy was selling tracer bullets (!), primers (!!) and powder (!!!) along with a press for a .50 cal. The shipping was $650, so I just giggled and moved on. I'm not ratting him out.

What the hell was I doing on the site, you ask? The wife is a 'bay junkie, and was looking for a die set for me. She let me know that they still had reloading parts for sale, so I looked and reported. Scout work over.

• 2 weeks later...

I only occasionally use ebay, but today I was looking for .45acp brass and found you can't buy it on ebay anymore. That sucks! That was the first and last straw with them, I will cancel my account with them and encourage my shooting buddies to do the same.

Does anyone know of a site that auctions goods like ebay does?

Hi All!

Well maybe I am starting to mello out (that statement alone would have some of close friends rolling) but alas this eBogus thing really isn't blistering my BB's too much.

I think GB or AA will fill the gap. I did a quick google and they showed up. I vote with my wallet. Guns and all that go with it (shooting, matches, time with friends n family, being able to protect self,friends,family, etc etc etc) are very very near and dear to my heart, if you attack that and make no mistake this is an attack, then you are attacking me. As this is the case I closed my account and take my money elsewhere. I know I will still the things I need to shoot, however the other things I found cheap and easy on eBogus I may now have to look a little harder for. So be it. The right choice is not always the easy choice.

On a lighter note. Will I be a hypocrite if I sell boycott eBogus T-shirts on ebay? :rolleyes:

Did anyone notice that while Ebay removed all the component sales, they are still selling all the reloading equipment?

I'd push for people selling reloading equipment and hunting supplies to move their auctions to someone else.

Of course a really crafty person could post a question of "So, do you have any auctions on (Gunbroker, Auctionarms, etc) for brass and bullets to use with this?" on all the auctions of reloading equipment on ebay so they show up in the Q&A sections of the sales. A little free advertising never hurt anybody ... but EBAY.

-TT