Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between B and C hit?

mscott

While scoring targets a shooter had what I thought was a high C, but turned out to be a B. My thought was that it wouldn't really matter, but he got irritated and told me that Bravos were used to break ties. I've never heard of this. I realize the shooter needs to get credit for what they shot, but how would the B count be used in a tie breaker with full targets? I could understand with head shots, but we were shooting full metric targets. If the B is farther away from the A than the C zone how can it be used as a tie breaker?

I don't think there's any real difference, we run scores out to how many decimals?

They dumped the "B" zone on the "CLASSIC" :rolleyes: target, maybe the only smart thing about it.

Just one guy's opine, but I think major should get an "A" for anything in the "head" and the "B" should score 3 for minor. Give you a reason to use it sometimes. Right now it's just an extended C-zone with a slim chance for some extra A's.

I don't think there's any real difference, we run scores out to how many decimals?

They dumped the "B" zone on the "CLASSIC" :rolleyes: target, maybe the only smart thing about it.

Just one guy's opine, but I think major should get an "A" for anything in the "head" and the "B" should score 3 for minor. Give you a reason to use it sometimes. Right now it's just an extended C-zone with a slim chance for some extra A's.

It's a total thread hijack, but I agree that for minor, "B" hits should score 4 points.

Edited by 996fan2007

I have yet to see a tie happen for a match. I suppose in theory it could. It happens for STAGES once in a while, especially if it's something like "steely speed".

I saw an IDENTICAL hit factor for a three string, paper and steel course at our local a few months back, an open shooter and I put up EXACTLY the same hf.

As the the "B-zone", I still don't think we need it if it's going to count the same as a "C".

It's a total thread hijack, but I agree that for minor, "B" hits should score 3 points.

Right now they do, I'm just saying that I think major should get the "A". Right now both get a "C" for any "B" hit, so 4/3.

Edited by dirtypool40

Is it in the Rules?

Not in my green book. Rule 9.3 on page 60 states something to the effect, in the event the match director determines a tie exists a shoot off of sorts must take place. (My words not USPSA'S) I could find no mention of scoring area hits as a determining factor for tie breaking.

Edited by mpeltier

It used to be a rule years ago. If there was a tie then the total number of 'A's would be counted, the higher number would be declared the winner. I think there was something to the effect that if this was also a tie then they would go to B,C,D etc. to make the determination.

It used to be a rule years ago. If there was a tie then the total number of 'A's would be counted, the higher number would be declared the winner. I think there was something to the effect that if this was also a tie then they would go to B,C,D etc. to make the determination.

This is correct. Number of hits in each scoring zone used to be used to break ties. That's no longer in the rules, and, AFAIK, was never used.

However, you should always score a target correctly, recording the competitor's hits accurately, therefore, if it's a B, score a B, regardless of the fact that the points are identical.

Troy

Last reference was in the 2001 (Red, I think?) rulebook:

"9.3 Scoring Ties

9.3.1 Any tie shall be broken by comparing the number of “A’s” each

competitor scored. If a tie still exists, the Stats Officer would then

compare “B’s” and so on until the tie is broken. If at the end of

this process, there is still a tie, the Match Director will design a

course of fire which the competitors shall shoot to break the tie.

Ties may not be broken by games of chance."

As was already stated it no longer applies to tie-breakers.

That is probably a good take on it. But, I like the idea of B-minor = 4pts.

Just for comparison, GSSF, NRA Action Shooting, and most other shooting sports that use the NRA D-1 target have A, B, C, D, but normally A and B are both -0 or max points. A's are like Bullseye X's and could still be used to break ties, but this will rarely happen, especially for the whole match. Since there are 4 scoring zones, using all 4 letters keeps all scorekeepers uniform.

If USPSA went to A, B, C us old guys would occasionally forget and give a shooter a C instead of a B. The current system is fairly reliable and changing it would likely result in errors, at least during the transition.

I'd like to see the "B" zone score 4 points major/minor as well even if I'll probably never shoot minor. It's a more difficult target area and the scoring should reflect that IMHO.

Unless the upper A zone is the only part of the target available then a B zone hit is a C zone miss that hit high so why should it be worth more. If we continue this B zone scoring squabble we are providing more ammunition for those that want to shoot the Classic target only. There is nothing worse than a swinging Classic with only half the A zone visible covered by a Metric No Shoot.

Unless the upper A zone is the only part of the target available then a B zone hit is a C zone miss that hit high so why should it be worth more.

Hmmm, nope I'll disagree with that one. I've on occasion had just a head, or even a shoulder, and engaged that in order to eliminate significant movement. Freestyle means that not everyone shoots at the lower A-zone all the time, even if it's available, among other things....