Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling and Paint Job For STI

mjbine

Who does stippling, undercut and grip paint jobs? I have been trying to get a hold for advanced preformance shooting but every attempt has failed. Is there anyone that you can recommend? What is the usual lead time for a grip and paint job? Thanks is advance.

Mike

I believe the guy from APS is deployed in support of the Global War On Terror, oops, excuse me Congress :rolleyes: , I mean the War On Terror. This place does similiar work....

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/APS.htm

Thanks for the referral but unfortunately, we don't. We use the guy (Jim Shanahan) that's currently deployed and are anxiously awaiting his safe return home around October.

I believe the guy from APS is deployed in support of the Global War On Terror, oops, excuse me Congress :rolleyes: , I mean the War On Terror. This place does similiar work....

Thanks for the referral but unfortunately, we don't. We use the guy (Jim Shanahan) that's currently deployed and are anxiously awaiting his safe return home around October.

OOOPs! :blush: I tried!

Who does stippling, undercut and grip paint jobs? I have been trying to get a hold for advanced preformance shooting but every attempt has failed. Is there anyone that you can recommend? What is the usual lead time for a grip and paint job? Thanks is advance.

Mike

The stippling and undercut are easy enough to do yourself if you're even reasonably handy with tools. There are some threads that detail the process. Essentially, remove the grip, sand down the checkering to get it pretty smooth, and then sand the undercut into the shape that feels good. Then you can use a soldering iron with a variety of shaped tips to melt the stippling into it. I read the threads and then did mine and it came out really nice.

Let me go see if I can find him again Chet, it has been a couple months since I talked to him.

Hmmmm, not finding him. Clarks and Dawson both still list his grips. I can look in my notes and see if I can find more info tomorrow.

Edited by HSMITH

Just to let you know.

Got an e-mail from Jim today, he is doing well and should be home around the first of November

Marty

A-7424

Is Alfaro still around?

Funny, I asked Rene exactly that just last week in Missoula. He said no (actually, he said he's still around, just not doing gun stuff any more).

B

I've got a stippled SV grip that was done very professionally. I would be all too happy to trade for a new, stock, unaltered S_I grip.

If you're stippling to improve traction. Painting it afterward is sort of self-defeating as the paint will make the grip slicker. Just my opinion...

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

Mike, If you haven't found anything yet send me an email. You can check out mine at East Huntingdon next weekend.

Put paint on your walls, your car, or on your fingernails if you're into that kind of thing. Not on the grip.

Edited by MTrout40

most paint is very slick, hence the ability to wipe it off.

Now the thing would be to put the traction sand in the paint. That would only work though if you were using paint on type and NOT spray paint.

most paint is very slick, hence the ability to wipe it off.

Now the thing would be to put the traction sand in the paint. That would only work though if you were using paint on type and NOT spray paint.

TRACTION SAND in the PAINT? No no no, I have an STI Edge that I painted a couple of years ago in a blue marble finish. I purchased the blue hand grip from Don at STI and then did the marble finish on it and it is NOT SLICK and there is no TRACTION SAND and it does not WIPE OFF, in fact it looks awesome and I get lots of compliments about it. The gun is so cool anyway, I do want to redo it soon, I also painted my husband's grip in black and green, it looks like camo. Of course I'm a Faux Finisher (very fancy walls, finishes and pilars) so it's what I do, but trust me it can be done! :D

Sand in the paint doesn't help as much as you'd think since the paint tends to 'gloss over' the sand.. Better than nothing, but still not great. A sugar-coat might work, though I've not tried it-- slap on a layer of clear epoxy or clear-coat. Before it dries, roll it in sugar (probably the big-crystal kind). After the whole thing dries, soak it in water to dissolve out the sugar crystals and check out the cool negative texture. We used to do that to windsurf boards long ago for better foot traction and it worked pretty well.