Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everything we know about IDPA

This topic mirrors the "Everything we know about IPSC" topic. Share your experience, techniques, equipment, ideas, etc., in regards to IDPA.

Number your entries in order - 1-When shooting from concealment...............

Next poster's entry would be - 2-Reloads with retention should...................

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

2. Dont bother with rule book, Ask before you shoot the stage.

...and ask several SO's, or at least the one yelling the loudest. You often need "permission" to run the stage the way you think you want to.

Also if you plan on shooting a "sexy" gun especially if you might be "in the hunt", getting specific, prior approval will prevent match day headaches. My STI carry gun is bite-cho-lip sexy, and there is somewhat of an anti-S_I sentiment at most matches. It's never expressed in writing, but it's there and showing up with one drops you firmly in "gamer" catagory to be watched like a hawk. In fact having a truly game single stack might make life easier than shooting your real world carry gun, if it's something sexy.

Day 1 stuff I am guilty of flubbing -

Make sure your gun runs on match ammo.

Make sure it locks open ONLY when empty.

Make sure it's zero'd so you can edge in those tight -0's when needed.

Most shots are close, inside 10y, and at least down my way probably 57y on average. Know your timing on those so you can stitch sexy snake eyes 0's FAST. But also be able to shoot quick, two sight picture singles on partials, distant and limited exposure targets. They had a partial SWINGER with a no-shoot at the last big match I shot and it gave the "hammer guys" and their .15 splits..... FITS. Two aimed shots grasshopper. That means the second one too.

Make sure in addition to the afore mentioned "permission" that YOU understand what you're going to do at the beep. Don't get so caught up in being "tactically creative" that you forget to just shoot.

At the end ofthe day, if they are keeping score it's a game. Every game has it's rules. If you want your name up top, then learn the damned rules, and know them well enough you're not still arguing with yourself over how to shoot the stage when you take a beep.

Same as any other action shooting sport; shoot slow, do everything else fast.

The big one for scoring well:

Remember that you cannot shoot -1's fast enough to win. A .50 is a loooooong split, take .10 extra and shoot 0's.

Edited by dirtypool40

1: be sure to have your vest pockets opened up to store your mags ....<_< [guilty]

2: be sure ALL your mags on yourperson are loaded to division capacity [guilty]

3: be sure and to listen during the "walkthru" on specific points and traps available to you

4: you know the rules,so when on line and the SO asks any "questions",don't start a range lawyer manuscript,like you are pleading to a judge,just shoot it..

5: you know what a cover call is,especially when it's damp and they can see your foot print 3 feet beyond the wall...[guilty]

6:be sure to have your score sheet ready and not have to walk back and forth 4 times to your bag to get the right one..you know what stage your shooting...right????

7: be sure to draw fast and safe,then go into slow mo when unloading and showing clear..no extra time/points for a fast reholster.... <_<

8: be sure to know the difference between tactical sequence and tactical priority...so that when you shoot it wrong,at least you'll look good crying.....

9: be sure to do a reality check and realize that just because you have a #$#$%^&* rating ,it does not keep you from pasteing... :surprise:

10:be sure, be sure,to have fun and enjoy what you are doing and to give a little more to those who ask for help ...it's a sport.....

this list could probably go past the 100 mark....... :cheers:

Edited by GmanCdp

Points are everything. The winners of the big matches have very few points down. In every major match I try to average only 1-2 pts down per stage and less if I can do it. I once tanked a stage in a 17 stage match with -17 and I finished the match 2nd place CDP EX 1.5 secs behind first and I only had -23 for the whole match. IDPA is a big time accuracy game. Try to shoot like it is limited vickers if you can.

Get to know the MD before the match. It is good to know how the rules will be interpreted and how you will be treated. Best match I have been to was the GA state match. I had my gamer ESP gun and the director was just as nice as could be about it. He saw me put it in the box and said "it's leagl, have a great time shooting the match." (I did)

If you are a "gamer" own the title. Dont let anyone put you down for it. Play by the rules and dont ever purosefully break them and you will be fine.

Do not be the cause of an argument. It doesnt matter that much and you are only there to have fun. The fewer waves you make the more the SO will like you and if you are shooting and S_I then makeing friends with the SOs goes a long way to stoping them from penalizing you on calls that are way too close.

HAVE FUN

the difference between tactical sequence and tactical priority

:blink: .......oh....uh, k. :mellow:

Tactical Priority: A method of target engagement. For Tactical

Priority, targets are engaged by order of threat. If all targets are

visible, targets are engaged from near to far, as long as targets are

more than two (2) yards from each other. If targets are hidden by a

barricade, targets are engaged as they are seen (slicing the pie).

Tactical Sequence: A method of target engagement. For Tactical

Sequence, all targets are engaged with one round each before being

engaged again. In the case of three (3) targets requiring two (2)

rounds each, all targets would be engaged with one round to each

target BEFORE reengaging the targets with another round in any

order (1-1-2-1-1).

The big one for scoring well:

Remember that you cannot shoot -1's fast enough to win. A .50 is a loooooong split, take .10 extra and shoot 0's.

That is some of the best GD stuff I have heard. It's so simple, and makes so much sense. If my splits are .20 and I'm down 1, my split is .70, .30 -0 !!! I'm really not kidding.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't know to do that without being told the definitions.

Don't feel bad, I know casual shooters who have been coming out for years and cannot remember the difference between Tactial Sequence and Tactical Priority from month to month.

Not to mention MDs who think there is such a thing as Tactical Order.

Likewise Vickers Count scoring. I mean it is like Comstock, shoot all you want to and the best x number count. But putting it in a course description seems clear over the head of a substantial number of shooters. The usual term around here to get the concept across is "not limited."

Don't feel bad, I know casual shooters who have been coming out for years and cannot remember the difference between Tactial Sequence and Tactical Priority from month to month.

Tactical order WAS used in the 2001 (green) rule book. I.e., (page 17) "Targets should be engaged in tactical order whenever possible, i.e. either near to far or shoot the first target that's visible when you lean from behind cover (some common sense should be used here)."

I'm not surprised some people still use it.

For that matter, I'm not convinced that everybody actually understands the 2005 change to the failure-to-neutralize rule.

I've seen posted CoF descriptions at local matches that mixed up "tacticla priority" and "tactical sequence". Better to ask the MD or SO, "so that means slicing the pie?", or "so that means near-to-far?" or "so that means 1-1-2-1-1?"... Even at the risk that someone may think you look like a dunce, better to make sure you know what they want.

Of course for an old blonde... as soon as the buzzer goes off I've got at least a 50-50 chance of forgetting tactical sequence and double-tapping myself a procedural right at the outset :rolleyes:

Edited by Jane

Likewise Vickers Count scoring. I mean it is like Comstock, shoot all you want to and the best x number count. But putting it in a course description seems clear over the head of a substantial number of shooters. The usual term around here to get the concept across is "not limited."

I had a hard time until someone pointed out that sequence and single both started with 's', and you always shoot a single round into the first target. Of course that doesn't really help to know that you need to go 1-1-2-1-1 and when the buzzer goes off you double tap the first target.

Bruce

I had a hard time until someone pointed out that sequence and single both started with 's', and you always shoot a single round into the first target.

LOL. The way I remember it is that Priority and pieing both start with a "p". :lol:

Not real sure where we are for numbering of items, so re-number as needed...

10) Practice drawing from concealment

11) Practice drawing from concealment, using different cover garments. Examples: vests,(fishing, photographers, 5.11 styles, or insulated/down filled type), coats, zipper front sweatshirts, rain gear etc.

12) Practice drawing from concealment, from different starting positions. Examples: sitting in chair or on bench, sitting behind a desk, kneeling, prone, etc.

13) Practice reloading from concealment. Cover garments can and will get in the way of spare magazines and speedloaders.

14) Practice using a barricade (Bianchi barricade as used in the Classifier) for cover only (firing unsupported) and for cover and support also.

15) Practice firing around both sides of the barricade, both kneeling and standing. This prepares you for firing around corners.

16) Practice moving into a firing position (example: kneeling behind barrel) setting up and engaging targets, then moving from that firing postion to the next as smoothly as possible.

17) Practice firing through windows or ports. If possible, avoid sticking the pistol into the port, because you will have to pull it back out of the port, to go to the next firing position.

18) Practice strong hand only and weak hand only firing. This pays off on stages that require you to carry something like a briefcase, baby, or wounded partner.

19) Practice picking up your pistol, from a drawer, table top, inside a briefcase, etc. Not all stages begin with your weapon holstered. ;)

20) HAVE FUN!!!! (I know, previously mentioned, but I thought I'd say it again)

Help the SO. Make sure you paste. Stage runs much faster with everyone helping. Here's a biggie- offer to help tear down the stages after the match. Volunteer to design and set up a stage on occasion.

There are those that think they are exempt from pasting the targets.

21) For SSR shooters - Make sure all your speedloaders are loaded at the beginning of the match.

22) Also for SSR shooters - Work up/choose a load that doesn't require brushing out your chambers for the entire match...and brush out your chambers every chance you get.

23) Get a rhythm for the match that keeps you involved and helping. Mine goes like this: Paste until I'm on deck; right after shooting, go back and load/top off speedloaders/mags; then go back and help with pasting for the rest of the stage.

24) Don't look for your brass while someone is waiting to shoot.

25. Don't throw (intentionally miss) rounds due to the perception it will give you a more advantages slide lock reload position later in the stage. It does two things:

1) A sharp SO will catch you and award a FTDR penalty (ouch)

2) Your on demand reload skills will become "dumb downed".

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

26. When the SO asks you if you have any questions about the stage, don't repeat the whole briefing to him. He already knows the COF. If you want to clarify something feel free to ask. Pay attention during the brief, step up to the line and shoot.

27. Have your ammo ready to go when you step up to the line. Use a spare mag to charge the gun (CDP or low cap mag shooters). Keep the match moving by not fumbling with individual rounds when it is your turn to shoot. It makes you look like a rookie.

28. In a sanctioned match, always thank the SO's when you are done shooting a stage. Working the match is a big commitment of time and letting the SO's kow that they are appreciated will keep them working matches.

29. At a sanctioned match, please try to not interrupt the SO while he is giving his briefing. That way he doesn't forget to include anything.

30. Don't go on and on about how something is or isnt "tactical". Keeping score= game. End of story.

31. Make sure your gun fits in the box.

This topic mirrors the "Everything we know about IPSC" topic. Share your experience, techniques, equipment, ideas, etc., in regards to IDPA.

Number your entries in order - 1-When shooting from concealment...............

Next poster's entry would be - 2-Reloads with retention should...................

IDPA is a simple game.

LAMR and shoot the course of fire more accurate and faster than the other competitors. :rolleyes:

pat

Rule #1: Depending on the level of competition, it is quite possible to win an IDPA match while dropping a lot of points if you're enough faster than everyone else you basically outrun them. In other words, your raw score is so much faster than everyone else it flat doesn't matter you've dropped an immense number of points.

Rule #2: That works right up until you run into someone who's nearly as fast as you and more accurate.

Rule #3: Knowing that, stay just as fast but become more accurate, and you can still outrun everyone.

#98 ?

While rehearsing the stage is verboten, you can sometimes get a feel for the positions when pasting, or while on deck. If nothing else, *visualize* -- with 18 rounds max, there simply aren't that many targets and shooting postitions to remember.

How many times have you seen (typically MM and SS) shooters come around a barricade, and not *know* where the targets are, and jerk the gun around, as they hunt for them?

Never leave a long target without calling the shots. Two -3 hits plus the 5 second FTN penalty is a killer.