Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 Lbs Mains Spring, Wlpp And A 1911

ATMester

Thought I would share the experience and save some head ache for some of you Guys.

Kimber 1911 .45 with a recoil master (heavy) and 17 lbs (ISMI) main spring and WLPP (winchester large pistol primer) is a NO -NO!!!

Two range session 350 rounds each with several (dozens) light primer strike.

I go back to the 19 lbs (ISMI) mains spring.

However the 17 lbs main spring allows a light but creepy trigger pull.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put an ultralight hammer in it and a long firing pin. WLPP go bang every time with a 15 pound mainspring. I run 17 pound mainsprings in most of my guns, no problems with light strikes on anything including rifle primers.

Remove the titanium firing pin, hammer strut and or mainspring cap if you're running them and replace with steel. I run a 15 lb mainspring with Clark UltraLight hammer with 100% reliability.

Just for giggles also check your trigger overtravel screw, if adjusted too tight it will catch the sear (barely) on the half-cock notch and slow the hammer fall to a creep at the most important moment (just before firing pin impact).

I run 17 and 15# IMSI mainspring (depending on gun and caliber) and have never had a light strike with either WSP,WLP, or CCI provided the primers were set to appropriate depth.

Edited by Crusher

What press do you reload with? 1050s usually set the primers the best.

550s and 650s do it on a different stroke.

They may need to be flattened a touch to be more sensitive.

I've used 17# mainsprings for years!

I have a Kimber Target II in 9 mm that is used for steel plates and IDPA. I installed a 15# mainspring in it and did not notice any difference from the stock spring. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through this pistol with Winchester primers. Main load is 147 grain LRN, WW231, WSP primers @ 142 PF and is very soft shooting. I have shot a few cases of Blazer aluminum case bullets and a few Wolf's, too. Never had a problem with ignition or anything else for that matter. Oh, I did have to change the rear sight to a Bo-Mar.

Buddy

Buddy

I've had a few light strikes with my Kimber using a 17lbs MS, 'cause I wasn't depressing the grip safety all the way, thus not disengaging the FPB. A series 70 FP solved the problem, not to mention a proper grip. ;)

Edited by Franksremote

svi pistol. koeinig hammer, titanium cup and strut. sv firing pin (non extended), 15 pounds ismi mainspring and 40000 rounds without a failure to fire.

same setup did not work on some para framed guns on some of my buddies who wanted my setup thinking it will raise their scores.

the solution was a M2M extended firing pin or a limcat extended firing pin.

Honestly this sounds more like a loading problem to me than a mainspring problem. I've put almost 30K through my Wilson .45, and one of the first things I ever did was install a 17-pound mainspring. I run a 15-pounder in my 9mm Nighthawk Talon. No misfires with either gun, and I've fired beaucoup Winchester. Of course that was factory ammo with fully seated primers. ;) For reloads I switched to Federal primers years ago, and I've never looked back.

What reneet said,I have a 17 lb ms with steel ignition parts and have never had a light strike.This includes 8 or 9 hundred hi primered rds that my Glock 21 would fail to fire about 20% of the time.

When I went to the spare parts box to replace a cracked firing pin stop I discovered 2 of them were radiused on the back side & I had 4 different length firing pins. Put all the short parts together with an extra strong firing pin spring and light strikes are possible with a 19# main spring.

That was my last BoMar cut firing pin stop, does anyone know who sells one precut?

What are your other components? Anything weird in the hammer/firing pin arena?

Extreme Engineering hammer, sear and disconnector

titanium strut and mainspring cap

C&S oversized hammer and sear pin

C&S trigger

• 6 months later...
What is the advantage to using a lighter mainspring on a 1911?

Less force on the hammer, thus, less friction for the sear to overcome as it moves, thus, lighter trigger pull.

Also has an effect on the force needed for the slide to move rearward & recock the hammer. Think about it.

Regards,

C.