Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought 6000 55 Gr .223, Now What Powder?

mkmckinley

Well I jumped on some of the Hornady FMJBT .223's while they were available and now I have 6000 of the little suckers that I need to load. I want to buy enough powder to load all 6000 of them and not have to worry about it again. What kind of powder should I get? I'm more concerned with accuracy than price. I was thinking WW2230 after reading some of existing posts but I wanted to ask the experts before I shell out for all that powder.

Also could someone check my math... by my calculation I should need somewhere between 20 and 24 lbs depending on powder. I've been loading .45 ACP and damn, that seems like a lot.

Thanks,

Mark

First, experiment with some powders. It easy for me to recommend H335 or W748, just 'cause they both meter AWESOME and just flat out work the bullets well (w/ bulk Winchester FMJ's, I get about .5-.75 MOA in my primary 3-Gun rifle).

So, try some powders out before locking yourself in. I imagine Varget will run great too. After that, some of the surplus powders aren't a bad idea either and you can't beat the price, if it works in your rifle.

Rich

ETA: I use varget with my 69's and get .25 MOA all day and SD's are single digits.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Your math is good. With 7000 gr./lb. at about 25 gr./ load that would come to 21.5 lbs required to load 6k rounds.

2230 is a good powder. When I first got into the AR rifle I messed with a bunch of rifle powders and bullets, and settled on the 2230 as being the best balance of price, flexibility, and consistency. Also, my pet accuracy load in the AR uses AA2230. Consistent nickel sized five shot groups if I do my part. There are other good rifle powders, but you can't really go wrong with 2230.

Hope you have some good CDs to listen to while reloading all 'dem boolits! :P

My 16" gun likes Reloader 15. It has always worked well for me with great accuracy and meters well also. It has never given me any reason to try another powder.....It does run between $15-$16 per pound though..

Edited by DrawandDuck

I have used H335 for decades. I can't think of a better powder for 55 gr bullets. Heavier bullets should work better with 2230 or 748. Back years ago when I shot HP Rifle Silhouette I used 748 in .308 and in a .223 for plinking. It worked well for both.

AA2230 is cheap and a good choice.

I use WW748 for my 55gr stuff because it's cheap and easily available in my area.

AA2520 is another good choice here.

Varget (and RE15) is a great choice for accuracy, consistency and lack of temp sensitivity, but it's expensive and meters like crap compared to ball powders. I only use it for heavy bullets in .223 because of how much it costs and what a PITA it is.

BTW, AA2230 and WW748 are limited to 69 grain projectiles and below as they are a bit fast for the real heavies in .223. AA2520 however, works fine under any weight projectile in .223 as does Varget/RE15.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

H335 and H4895 are my top two picks , H4895 has metered quite a bit better for me than Varget .

H4895 loads under 55GR. bullets are pretty much right up to the bullet base, or lightly compressed .

H335 meters perfectly .

Travis F.