Micah's Range Diary

Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ I just checked out the Bear Creek website and it states that they are sold out of all 9mm bullets. Bummer...the prices looked pretty good.

I might just break down and order 5k from Montana Gold, and load up a ton of new match ammo. Then I could use the 3k of match ammo that I already have for local shooting.

There was a big turnout for the Miamisburg match today, and it was very nice seeing some faces that I have not seen in over half a year. As for my shooting, I'm knocking the rust off my game at a snails pace...but this match was better than the one last month. Penalty free but sloppy.

th_3-18-12MRPC.jpg

Bear Creek does not have an official website. The website most people get is from a dealer for Bear Creek who has not updated his website in years. It does confuse people.

The Owner is really old school and prefers to work by phone and work through his dealers. I know it's irritating to those of us in the modern internet age, but good quality bullets at a good price is worth the hassle.

I've seen 300k of bullets go through our local dealer the past few years in all sizes with no back order. I don't have the number for Bear Creek, but if you PM me I can give you the number of our local dealer and maybe he could help.

Having a local dealer has really been a great boon to shooters here. Hopefully you could get hooked up like we are.

Edited by ShootsinRain

Gene is a very good guy to deal with. I know he will ship flat rate boxes of bullets if needed which would be what you need Micah. Also reminds me I need to get more .40 bullets from him....

Good video, looks smooth (cant see your body movement) Dont beat yourself up to much, your up north where you cant shoot year round.

I found a place to hold livefire training!

I have been looking for somewhere to do so. The parameters were that it needed to be 30 minutes or closer from home, I would be able to set up drills (instead of shooting from a single location), and under $250/year. I found a teacher that has land that she shoots on with her husband, and they were more than happy to give me open access to their range in exchange for some training.

It has become abundantly clear to me that my shooting game has been dogged by my lack of livefire practice...especially now when I haven't shot for some time.

ShootsinRain, sent you a pm. I'm going to need a lot of boolits ;)

Thanks guys :) (Spiders....*shudder*)

I've mentioned having the trust before...and after watching my video I can tell that I lost the trust during my sabbatical. My splits seem to all be the same even when the targets are easier or harder. There should be a variance in my splits times. Instead, I am on autopilot cruising through stages. It is my goal to fix that. I will have some time to work on this before the BITB in the first week of April, but will make it my goal to livefire at least 2x a week, not including local matches.

Oh crap watch out!! If Micah live fires half as much as he dryfires, the podium is gonna get crowded.

Unless, of course, someone puts spiders on the podium.

Wait am I the only one that carries one with him? :devil:

I am a Bear Creek dealer but I basically only sell by word of mouth. Sometimes the lead times are a little long, but most of the time, I can get any bullet (if I don't have it already) in a timely manner and the prices are pretty much unbeatable.

Thoughts on a Better Dryfire Trigger

I have been kicking around ideas on how to get a better dryfire trigger. We all know the paper-in-the-breech method, but I wanted something better than that. What I was encountering with the paper method is a light trigger pull. I wanted something that was heavier and closer to what my trigger's actual pull weight was. Here is what I came up with.

DISCLAIMER: Don't be a moron! Dryfire is an ammunition-free method of practice. Make sure that you pistol is unloaded. Modifying your pistol can disable safeties, make it go full auto, or cause catastrophic consequences when combined with live ammunition.

I wanted something that didn't need to be reset after every pull. To achieve this, I took my Dremel and removed the top ledge of a spare connector that I had in my parts box. In this instance, it is a Ghost Rocket connector. The picture below shows a stock 3.5# connector next to the connector with the top ledge removed:

2012-03-22_15-48-00_139.jpg

After putting the newly modified connector in the trigger housing, you can see that trigger bar moves freely against the connector:

2012-03-22_15-50-12_86.jpg

Once reassembled, I have a free moving trigger. The problem now is that the trigger is too light. To fix that, I took out a spare striker assembly (because I didn't want to use my competition striker assembly). To give my trigger pull enough weight to match that of my competition trigger, I added a portion of another striker spring in the striker assembly. The extra spring added the needed weight to my overall trigger pull:

2012-03-22_16-02-54_335.jpg

What I have now is a much better dryfire trigger. Although there is no reset feeling, the pull weight is right at what my competition trigger affords. I can now more accurately ascertain if I am yanking my sights off target, and dryfire until my finger falls off without having to constantly rack the slide. The picture below is a video...click it! :

th_2012-03-22_16-04-36_92.jpg

Using this method, there is a change to how one separates the upper from the lower You will have to rack the slide back, remove the backplate and then remove the striker assembly. Then remove the upper as you normally would:

2012-03-22_15-59-50_482.jpg

Um...not to rattle a cage...but I actually beat you on a stage. Yes, you need to live fire. I never thought that would happen. Not sure how it did. Watching you and Chris is helping me a great deal.

Dave, If you think watching me is helping you, wait till we start training together ..... then you will be beating Micah on ALL the stages!!! :rolleyes:

Um...not to rattle a cage...but I actually beat you on a stage. Yes, you need to live fire. I never thought that would happen. Not sure how it did. Watching you and Chris is helping me a great deal.

No cage rattle taken Dave. You shot very well on Sunday. I have seen significant improvements not only in your speed and accuracy, but also in the way you break down stages and attack them. 2012 is going to be YOUR year bro :)

I am taking the RO course over again this weekend. THANK YOU Gary and Jay for spending your time teaching the next generation of ROs for our great sport! Your wealth of knowledge is only exceeded by your hatred of reshoots!

Been going over some old videos of mine...and I stumbled upon the very first outdoor match that I had ever shot in USPSA...on my birthday no less in 2006. So much has happened in my life in the past six years...

Anyway, I thought that I would post the video. Enjoy...and if you are in the RO class, I will see you tomorrow at the range.

th_firtoutdoormatchmay62006.jpg

PS-I love how Bob Faun, who is the nicest, gentlest man in the sport, shakes his head in shame in the video as I continuously miss steel! Thanks Bob! :roflol: Look for it at 1:05.

It was a good day today. It started by learning that I won my office's "Biggest Loser" contest. Everyone chipped in $20 at the beginning of the quarter and weighed in weekly. The person that lost the highest percentage of body weight won the money. Apparently working out twice a day (which I did again today), and eating unprocessed, whole, and low carb/no corn sugar foods that you cook yourself is healthy.

Dryfired, loaded 1000 rounds, got an email that my district is going to send me to an expensive 4 day training on writing effective behavior plans with persons with autism...got a call from my mom, and her mammogram came back stellar (she's a breast cancer survivor).

A good day man. Oxford this Sunday, a league shoot on Monday, hopefully some range time Tuesday and Wednesday, spending some time with my cousin in Wilmore on Thursday, shooting the BITB on Friday, and a match at Circleville on Saturday...good times on the horizon too.

It's nice to feel content every once on a blue moon.