Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

It was a good day today. It started by learning that I won my office's "Biggest Loser" contest. Everyone chipped in $20 at the beginning of the quarter and weighed in weekly. The person that lost the highest percentage of body weight won the money. Apparently working out twice a day (which I did again today), and eating unprocessed, whole, and low carb/no corn sugar foods that you cook yourself is healthy.

I gotta know man... what was your total lost and percentage? We've got 5 weeks to go on my office's Biggest Loser and I'm trailing one other guy. I'm down 28 lbs for 10.1% right now, but he's still leading. I feel great though!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another day of the same routine, and another great day at work. I bought my first lottery ticket today...I am not religious but simply do not gamble...but evidently today I do.

Is it bad that after I purchased the ticket my second thought (my first was on paying off the billions of dollars in student loans) was on all of the things I would do in shooting?

Fun match and great weather today in Oxford. I shot the first two stages with a total of 3 light strikes...once my Zero bullets come in I plan on loading up my match ammo with Federal primers, but all of my ammo until then uses Winchesters. Not a problem though...I switched out the 4.5# striker spring with a 5# spring and had no issues for the three remaining stages.

I started to feel "back" on the third stage. With only a handful of days until the BITB, I will need all of my mojo back.

th_4-1-12OxfordUSPSA.jpg

Micah, how many rounds until you started getting light strikes? I know I have over 1,000 rounds, but less than 2,000, on my challenger kit and it still lights off my CCI small pistols without an issue. I have the original spring ready to go if I do start getting light strikes.

Brian

Brian,

I've put 4-5k rounds through the gun since switching over to the Challenger trigger from glocktriggers.com, and I only get light strikes when I use too light of a striker spring. It's all the spring and none of the trigger bar. Hell, with a stock spring I can set off Wolf primers.

It doesn't look like I will get my Zero bullets in time to load up and chrono them before BITB, so I am going to shoot a Monday league match tonight and make sure that the 5# spring gives me 100% detonation. If the weather holds up, I might even be able to go to my "range" for the first time and shoot some more.

It doesn't look like I will get my Zero bullets in time to load up and chrono them before BITB,

I stand corrected:

2012-04-02_13-44-01_603.jpg

The bullets came at noon today, so I loaded up two hundred rounds and darted off to the Monday shoot:

th_4-2-12MburgMonday.jpg

The new loads were significantly less smokey, and maybe felt a little softer. The chrono was not working (although I know you tried Pete!) so I will just use my regular major match ammo at the BITB. I don't think that there is a chance that the new ammo is subminor, but I wouldn't trust an unmeasured load.

Another two-a-day at the gym, another great dryfire session, and I even had time to inspect that place where someone offered to let me shoot at. Unfortunately it is not going to work...no backstop. Sure there is a huge grain field behind it, but it simply is not safe. So my quest continues.

I gave the G34 a good scrubbing and packed up all of my gear for the BITB. lcs was exceptionally kind in offering to chrono with me before I go, and that will put my mind at ease. I'm bringing 500 rounds of my new ammo and 500 rounds of the old match ammo with Winchester primers just in case. If you're going to be at the Wilmore range tomorrow or Friday, I'll see you there. I'm the guy wearing the DUKE shirt :devil:

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that put the BITB match together! It was my pleasure shooting with the staff today in Kentucky.

In my video I can see myself warming in to my game...but transitions seem sluggish and splits could be faster. I had serious reloading issues early in the day, but that is probably due to the COLD weather in the morning.

I was talking with someone on the way home who asked me if today's match was a success. If the criteria for success is improvement from my last match, then I would say that it was successful.

It will be a weekend full of shooting...tomorrow I shoot a club match in Circleville.

th_4-6-12BITB.jpg

Hey Micah,

What program do you use to edit your videos? Im gonna start a range diary with some videos from the Battle In The Bluegrass that my wife took. I see a few things I did wrong but I'm sure there are other things i haven't.

Thanks Greg

Pickles, the death jam was a bizarre anomaly. It was almost as if I had bulged brass that chambered but would not let go. Pretty disappointing.

Greg, I simply use Windows Movie Maker for my videos. Old cams that I have used have needed conversion software, but the one that I have now drops in perfectly. Editing and adding title cards, end credits, music and transitions takes no time at all. There are more fancy programs, but the videos are really for me to archive my matches and analyze them for areas that need improvement rather than presenting them to others. I feel that WMM creates something presentable for presentation however.

After shooting Circleville on Saturday and having a crap-ton of light strikes, I have gone to a stock striker spring. The weight feels very heavy in livefire, and I actually feel trigger finger fatigue when dryfiring, but I know that every round will go off. There were two instances in the Cville match where going to eleven even with steel was an advantage, and in both instances I cleaned the steel but was plagued with a light strike, eliminating the advantage.

Since I have gone to a stock spring, I have only used my modified connector. This VERY accurately simulates the complete trigger pull, and am slapping my forehead for not coming up with it sooner.

I have been dryfiring now in the morning before work, and after I get back from the gym in the evening. I can feel the ebb and flow of good shooting flowing back into my game.

Joined a shooting range tonight, and the owner gave me a tour of the facility asking me questions about bringing USPSA to his range. It would be amazing to be able to direct a match so close to home. For the time being, I will be driving down the plate racks that they have, and bringing my game back to where it once was.

Feeling more in the groove after today. I would upload the video but I got hammered on a copyright thing.

Transitions look slow, a botched reload or two, and splits are cumbersome. After going to the full power striker spring, even though I have been dryfiring with it all week it still feels heavy. A small price to pay for reliability though, and I will eventually adjust.

I've been doing two-a-days in the dojo, and painted tuxedos on my dryfire targets. The speed will come back to me, but my hits have been garbage in matches. The tux outfit on dryfire targets provocates me to see more of the front sight.

There is something to be said about persevering in both speed and accuracy at the ass-crack of dawn after the gym, and after getting back from the gym in the PM and dryfiring. I have found that much of it is mood related.

Saturday is livefire training day at my new range, and Sunday is a classifier match at Milford.

Saul, Brian, et al have stated that shooting is a quickly depreciating skill. I never would have thought that by taking six months off that I would struggle so hard...

David, I will absolutely let you know when I am at the range again. Working the white off the plate rack is first on the menu! Chris, you are so right. It has been a humbling experience.

I did actually dryfire and go to the range today for some lifefire. Worked out some weird one-handed shooting deals that were costing me massive points. I also had my first ever primer detonation while loading major match ammo this evening! There was a little rock that slipped under the primer pocket.

I am shooting the Milford classifier match tomorrow...mostly because I am picking up a G26 from CMV! I have owned one in the past and LOVE that little blaster! There is something to be said about carrying a pistol that you have complete faith in.

The two-a-days continue, as does the shedding of pounds. Eating whole foods is the way to go. I only eat the things with ingredients that I don't need Wikipedia to do research on. At Sam's Club I picked up a ton of broccoli, chicken, beef, and almonds. I'm not at my median recommended bmi yet (and if I meet the a_-hole that developed that chart he is in trouble) but I am easily under 200 now.

Match video to follow after the shoot tomorrow. I might even shoot the 26 in the match!

Thanks for RO'ing today. Everyone in our group had a fun and safe match. :D

It was my pleasure! I am always very happy when we go dq free...especially with so many new shooters. You shot a bamf of a match bro :cheers:

Like stated above, I shot the MRPC classifier match today, and had a blast! Sold off a bunch of stuff to replace my dead laptop, picked up my Baby Glock from CMV (Thanks a million Colin!!!), and didn't shoot a terrible match. Big props to Dan Carter for running another successful BIG TURNOUT match at MRPC, and to my excellent squad. My voice is shot, so on to the match video:

th_4-22-12MRPC.jpg

That bright Glock looks pretty sweet Micah. Dont know what was up with that back left steel on 2A. I had to wing a couple extra rounds at it...Nice speed on Lefty's Revenge. I might have tried that, but I have had enough mikes/no shoots on that stage in the past I just took it slow and steady. Looks like you are getting back in form!

Addict

Thanks man, I have alot of work to do to make those reloads look as fluid as yours. I talked to the other shooters that came with us, They had two DQ's in their squad, one being the RO on the first stage.

P.S. everytime i look at your avatar, the video for "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys pops into my head.

Edited by Alexd29