Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

I feel like there should be some kind of reward for those brave enough to read this entire thread...perhaps some bourbon to calm the nerves.

Someone mentioned to me the other day something about the weird Glock tumor that I was toying with on my G24. The shooting certainly has been a odyssey in trial and error.

Haha its been a pretty exciting read.. Between Mr. Keen's humor, Mr. Anderson's insight and your knowledge and AHA moments its been really great for a new shooter to thumb through.. Ive been taking notes of pretty much everything.

I have really enjoyed it. Thanks for keeping up with it.

*Being quite honest.... I now understand fully about the blue gun... I thought it was a blue practice gun, not a full on blue gun.. Yea im a little slow some times.*

Edited by inkballedtarget

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new job has started, and the commute is killing me, so I will be moving at the end of next month. The bummer is that I will not have a basement to dryfire in anymore, but the upside that it will free up 50 minutes a day for me to work on drills when I get home. I was able to dryfire in a one bedroom apartment, so there is no doubt that I can accomplish what I need in a townhouse.

Going to be at the Miamisburg match this Sunday...the first time that I've had to shoot since the Indiana match. Damn I'm looking forward to it.

My new job has started, and the commute is killing me, so I will be moving at the end of next month. The bummer is that I will not have a basement to dryfire in anymore, but the upside that it will free up 50 minutes a day for me to work on drills when I get home. I was able to dryfire in a one bedroom apartment, so there is no doubt that I can accomplish what I need in a townhouse.

Going to be at the Miamisburg match this Sunday...the first time that I've had to shoot since the Indiana match. Damn I'm looking forward to it.

Moving sucks, I am glad that you are cutting your commute by almost an hour... I hope that your bedroom is big enough for the dojo... I have to dryfire in my little reloading room, so I made real small targets to make them seem farther away. I crashed a burned at Area 3 this year so I am remotivating myself to dryfire more.

post-13920-0-44638900-1313780178_thumb.j

Thanks bro! I will be shooting with the Vogel TriggerSystem from glocktriggers.com tomorrow for the first time. Feels amazing in dryfire, and now it's time for the true test.

I read about that trigger. Its the one with the over travel that you can adjust, can you adjust the pre-travel or is that just the edge? Let us know how it runs!!

Tear'em up!!

The smoke is due to Titegroup. It is a dirty burning powder, but runs fine in my Glocks and I do not notice the smoke, so it is of little consequence to me. I just load 'em and shoot 'em.

The smoke is due to Titegroup. It is a dirty burning powder, but runs fine in my Glocks and I do not notice the smoke, so it is of little consequence to me. I just load 'em and shoot 'em.

And you shoot them well! I had read what you were shooting but I had not watched all the videos.... That is some serious gun smoke! We had an IDPA stage in a match a few months back where we were shooting through windows that had sheer curtains over them and I did well, maybe I need some molly bullets and tite group.... :devil:

Truth be told, if money was not a factor, I would shoot Montana Gold bullets and VV320 powder and nothing else. Although I am still feeling the fiscal crunchwaves from my divorce, the future forecast is looking better and better. I will change the powder during the winter months and take it from there.

I feel ya, I did not get a divorce but money is tight... I was able through some stroke of luck buy a new/used 2011 limited gun I ponied up and bought some MG's and as weird as it sounds I have not been able to bring my self to load them up because shooting them in a local match seems like a waste.... They sure are pretty though :cheers:

Well, I shipped off my G34 slide and barrel, and G17 slide to get hard chromed. The 34 really, REALLY needed it. I've been blasting away with that thing since 2006! Had it Duracoated blue, then buffed it all off. Throughout the use, abuse, and removal of coatings I apparently removed the Tenifer which has brought on rusting issues. I'm chroming the 17 just cuz I can I suppose :)

I plan on being buried with my G34, as it will always be my first competition gun, and always my go-to heater.

In the mean time, I'm just going to borrow someone's upper until I get my slide back...and box up everything in preparations for my move.

Well, I shipped off my G34 slide and barrel, and G17 slide to get hard chromed. The 34 really, REALLY needed it. I've been blasting away with that thing since 2006! Had it Duracoated blue, then buffed it all off. Throughout the use, abuse, and removal of coatings I apparently removed the Tenifer which has brought on rusting issues. I'm chroming the 17 just cuz I can I suppose :)

I plan on being buried with my G34, as it will always be my first competition gun, and always my go-to heater.

In the mean time, I'm just going to borrow someone's upper until I get my slide back...and box up everything in preparations for my move.

How many rounds do you have on your 34 now? I think I am getting close to 30K on my 35, I would also like to be buried with my G35, haha. Keep up the great shooting and diary.

post-16694-0-67459800-1314373349_thumb.j

Edited by L-10_shooter

I truly have no idea how many rounds I have through that gun. Waaayyyyyyyyy more than I can count. That being said, I have done most of my daily training at home via dryfire, and use weekly club matches to verify what I have learned though the week.

Hey Micah!!

I shot my first match yesterday! I had a fantastic time! My ultimate goal was to just be safe and take it slow. I had some good shots and some bad shots, it will come with time. I cant wait for the next match!

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help!

Cal

I am glad that you had a great time Cal! What you did is what I ALWAYS recommend to new shooters. Be safe, get your hits, and have a blast.

yea dude for sure!! there is another club match in New Mexico that i think i will go to, so im looking forward to that!

hope everything is goin good on your end sir!

Micah,

Big thanks for the 5 years of diary entries. Just finished all 65 pages. The first year or two are in my mind extremely helpful to people that are intent on moving up in class.

I started reading this in an effort to glean any knowledge I can about how to improve at this sport. What would be the top three resources you recommend for teaching the proper way to shoot? I have a large number of bad habits that I need to work on and the only way I know of breaking them is to start over from the beginning with proper technique.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. :cheers:

Thanks for the praise maddox! I don't feel that there is anything exceptional from my voyage to GM, just dedication and the right resources. Speaking of which, here are my recommendations:

*Books For Shooting Technique

-Steve Anderson's two dryfire books (Can be found in the Enos store here on the forums)

-Saul Kirsch Thinking Practical Shooting (Again, check the Enos store)

*For The Mental Game

-Lanny Bassham With Winning In Mind -an amazing book on goal setting and staying focused

Surround yourself with the best shooters in your club. Ask them questions. If they are dicks about it, well, just ask questions here! You have GM's like me on the forums, then you have a handful that are International rockstars. We hang out here on the forums to help!

Have people film your shooting, and post it up here to get feedback. Once you know what to look for, you can critique yourself accurately and identify what needs the most work.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN! If you lose this, you simply will not shoot well. Avoid negative self-talk, avoid negative shooters, and protect yourself from burnout.

That really stuck out to me when I was reading your earlier posts. I am bad about being negative. Saying things like "I am as ready as I will every be" when asked "shooter ready?". I also let mental fubars on a previous stage stick with me. I started working on it last weekend at the local match I shot. We will see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Well dude.. I shot my second club match today... As you told me you can never have too many mags on you, because "stuff" happens thats can not be anticipated.. Lets just say one classifier, one jam and three mags on the deck equated to one bad stage...

Many lesson"s learned..

Hope you are doin well!!