Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

1/25/07

-Full dryfire seesion

No jogging today before work <_< time simply got away from me...too many tasks to complete before noon. I'll see if I can make it up when I get home tonight.

Dryfiring without jogging was an interesting experiment though. It seemed as if it took me more time to "warm up". Everyone has shot their first stage "cold" before. When I jog, I feel like I've spent an hour at the range, and everything is grooved in and ready to be unleashed. That is certainly an advantage, but I am placing myself at a disadvantage lest I am unable to work out before a big match...

My wife asked me this morning, "What are you going to do once you make master?"

Me:"Work on becoming a GM."

Wife:"What's the difference between M and GM?"

Me:"Besides the G...about 10% B) "

She still thinks I'm bat crap crazy :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whew ............ I thought I was the only one B)

Brother, there's a line longer than the Beast and King Island of people who think I'm nuts :D

...and that's why I'm so likable! (...or is that annoying??)

After talking to Chris, Bob Vogel, and re-watching 3GM and a MB dvd, I am reworking my grip to be much more aggressive. Bob V pointed out that my grip was still too low to be able to contain recoil, and that my weak hand could be canted more, and Angus (like he was talking to me as well) pointed this out to me as well. You can see that my grip is not as good as it needs to be by watching the videos of yesterday's match. I am allowing my gun to recoil far too much.

Good to hear. After watching your match videos, I was about to get on you again about that (you might recall I mentioned this to you at Briar Rabbit).

I'd highly suggest getting this worked out in live fire before you burn something else in during dry fire (this is more important than one-handed shooting for now).

You also have your elbows down, as well as being bent quite a bit. Experiment with that some too.

Burkett's timing drills are the way to work this in live fire.

Good to hear. After watching your match videos, I was about to get on you again about that (you might recall I mentioned this to you at Briar Rabbit).

I'd highly suggest getting this worked out in live fire before you burn something else in during dry fire (this is more important than one-handed shooting for now).

You also have your elbows down, as well as being bent quite a bit. Experiment with that some too.

Burkett's timing drills are the way to work this in live fire.

Will do Flex. Thanks for the feedback! Barring a pandemic of epic proportions, I should be able to get range session in on both Saturday and Sunday.

A Glock question for ya Flex...when gripping the gun (34/35) how far does your weak hand thumb go on the slide? My old grip barely reached the 9x19...whereas the new grip extends almost to the left take down lever.

A Glock question for ya Flex...when gripping the gun (34/35) how far does your weak hand thumb go on the slide? My old grip barely reached the 9x19...whereas the new grip extends almost to the left take down lever.

The real key for me is to get cammed in...pressing the meaty "drum-stick" portion of my thumb/palm into the gun. Grip tape here is a great help.

post-690-1169757343.jpg

The real key for me is to get cammed in...pressing the meaty "drum-stick" portion of my thumb/palm into the gun. Grip tape here is a great help.

Groovy! Thanks for the pic. So long as it remains Production legal, I swear by Tru-Grip, so I've got that covered...

1/26/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

Tomorrow I get to test the new techniques that I have been refining during dryfire at the range. The main differences are my grip angle and posture, and weak/strong hand techniques. My next club match isn't for another two weeks, and I guarentee that if there is a stage that calls for w/s, I'm gonna kick its ass.

Some of you might think that yoga is only for dirty hippies, but it has excellent applications to shooting! Calming the mind, concentration, enhancing one's balance and flexability...all of these things are benificial. We have a yoga instructor that comes to our facility twice a week, and I look forward to participating in his class!

Big thanks again to Flex, Bill, and Keen for the coaching...again :D

1/27/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Dull dryfire session

-Livefire 2 hours/600 rds.

Oh the joys of having a day off! It all began with a great workout, then to the range. I can say with much pleasure that strong handed shooting had become a strong point in my game. Headshots from 40 ft came easily! Weak hand is still a work in progress, but I am better understanding the trigger mechanics of my left hand. It will not be long until I have that in my strengths category too!

The rest of the time at the range was spent on 4 inch plates at various distances...from 20 to 70 feet to refresh my memory as to what I can get away with at those distances. Now that my grip change has fully integrated, I am now tooling around with arm distance.

2007 is going to be one hell of a year for ol Pharaoh :D

keep it up!

Thanks Catfish...I know that most of my entries look the same, but without consistent practice, how the hell can I get any better?

I forgot to mention that I have been having issues with stovepipe jams for the past two range visits. I will try several spring replacements tomorrow when I go back to the range and see if I can remedy the issue.

1/28/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

-Livefire 2 hours/600 rds

This was an excellent weekend for refinement. At the range today, I continued to work on strong/weak hand shooting, and refining my more aggressive stance. I have concluded that having the gun farther from my body reduces the amount of felt recoil, and also allows me to make more accurate shots, as the sights appear smaller.

I believe that my stovepipe issue is from my gun having 3000 rounds through it since it's last cleaning. I just gave it a good scrub, and hopefully things will be as good as new. Strong handed shooting is officially a strong point in my game, and I continue to understand the visual patients and trigger control needed for weak hand.

1/29/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

I went back to the range last night to function fire my gun...everything seems to be back in order. Drills today were very smooth and natural, as is quickly becoming the norm. Tonight is my loooooooonngggg night at work, so I hope to do some transition drills.

Although I loath it being the off season, I consider it a good thing as it is making me hunger for competition! Even though I am practicing every day, it still feels like I am taking a break from it all. In the long run, I hope that this staves off burnout <_< (And until I have my f-'in M card...there is no possibility of burnout here!)

1/30/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

Today was drop day for my dryfiring...on every 30th, I drop my par down a tenth in almost all of my drills. I was definately ready to make this change. Jogging was groovy too, as I am getting further and further with less effort!

I had a chance to visit my cousin in Lebanon this evening. Poor guy just finished up his divorce, and I haven't been to his house in several months. When I walked in, I noticed a tampon sitting on top of his television...after chatting with him for a while I finally asked

"Aaron, why the hell do you have a tampon on top of your tv?", to which he responded,

"To remind me of the :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: that took my VCR."

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

1/31/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

The job hunt is on! Horrible hours and pay, and a lack of appreciation has driven me to find a new place of employment. Not being one to burn bridges, I still have my current job, but hopefully not for long. The one downside that I currently see in changing jobs is that all of my big match vacation has been approved. If I work somewhere new, and tell them that I need all these days off, things could get ugly.

I am taking the MAT this Saturday...I may *gasp* not have time to jog or dryfire that day, since I rush to work once the test is completed.

Picking apart the littlest things in my technique is what I have been up to lately. Why do I do that? Why does Angus do it that way? Analysis of the why's is taking me down a new scale of learning that I have never known!

Care to share your "full dry fire session"?

I'd be happy to!

From Steve's book, a basic dryfire session consists of drills 2,7,8,9,10,11,12,15,18,17,19 and 20.

All drills are done to par times, with the exeption of the Burkett reloads, which are par-less. At the end of each session, I end it with another complete run of the Burkett drill. My reloads during this drill are at half speed, beginning and ending each reload with a sight picture and two shots to the lower A zone.

On some days, time permitting, I do additional "field course" training, setting up 1/4th sized targets with no-shoots around my tiny-assed house.

My dryfire setup is 1/4th sized targets at 15 feet away with a trimmed business card in the upper portion of the A zone.

Being curious one day, I looked at my dryfire daily routine and broke it down into three numbers. These are the minimum amount done throughout every dryfire session:

231-the number of draws preformed

291-the number of perfect reloads (imperfect ones are redone)

1803-the number of "rounds' fired

What dryfiring has done for me is provide a free method of training each day. My familiarity with my gun and gear is now that of my own hands, having practiced with said gear on a daily basis. Fundamentals of draws, reloads, sight pictures, grip, stance, transitions, splits, and visual patience have been refined through repetition, and verified through trips to the range. I just recently picked apart my draw, grip, and stance, and am able to reherse these changes to the point of them being second nature.

All of this began with a goal. This season, I am going to make master, I am going to be a much better shooter, and every night, I can go to sleep a better competitor than when I awoke that morning.

2/1/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

A very groovy thing happened to me while dryfiring...allow me to set this up:

I dryfire to music. There is an amazing website (pandora.com) that will play music from an artist and similar styles based upon what you want to listen to. Today I was in an existential mood, so I turned it to my Aphex Twin station, which consists primarily of ambient/new age/techno-ish music.

It started when I was working on drill 10 (El Prez). In addition to performing this drill to par times, there are 10 total (five at the start, and five at the end) times where there is no par. Usually I try and go at the par pace, but for some reason, decided to go in super slow motion. As if professionally synced, each repetition fit perfectly with the music.

I continued this Tai Chi approach through the rest of the drills, and saw/felt/sensed things in my form that I had yet to witness before. Hopefully, I will be able to have this same type of experience in livefire...and one day, at the match level.

2/1/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

A very groovy thing happened to me while dryfiring...allow me to set this up:

I dryfire to music. There is an amazing website (pandora.com) that will play music from an artist and similar styles based upon what you want to listen to. Today I was in an existential mood, so I turned it to my Aphex Twin station, which consists primarily of ambient/new age/techno-ish music.

It started when I was working on drill 10 (El Prez). In addition to performing this drill to par times, there are 10 total (five at the start, and five at the end) times where there is no par. Usually I try and go at the par pace, but for some reason, decided to go in super slow motion. As if professionally synced, each repetition fit perfectly with the music.

I continued this Tai Chi approach through the rest of the drills, and saw/felt/sensed things in my form that I had yet to witness before. Hopefully, I will be able to have this same type of experience in livefire...and one day, at the match level.

How many times have we told you to stop smokin that stuff!?!?!? :lol: