Micah's Range Diary

Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the kind words fellahs...now for the entry...

12/27/06

-Jogged 4 miles

-Dryfired

My feet are freaking killing me, but I gotta get cardiovascularly in tune...it can't be easy hitting poppers at 60 yards while gasping for air :)

Just a thought on some additions, Micah - jogging is great for general cardio, but make sure you mix in some sprints, and maybe even stair sprints. Think about what we do in shooting - we don't do endurance, constant rate, slow effort stuff. We do bursty, haul ass, sprint work - and the conditioning between the two is different. Sprinting will help with building lung capacity, as well, I'm told, if you insure that you're breathing deeply the whole time - that will help a bunch w/ keeping the body supplied w/ O2.... At least, that's the theory I'm currently working under :D

Just a thought on some additions, Micah - jogging is great for general cardio, but make sure you mix in some sprints, and maybe even stair sprints. Think about what we do in shooting - we don't do endurance, constant rate, slow effort stuff. We do bursty, haul ass, sprint work - and the conditioning between the two is different. Sprinting will help with building lung capacity, as well, I'm told, if you insure that you're breathing deeply the whole time - that will help a bunch w/ keeping the body supplied w/ O2.... At least, that's the theory I'm currently working under :D

Good suggestion, but I'm already ahead of ya. Cardio in the mornings before work, and at night when I'm trapped here at work until 2-4am, I am working on box-to-box movement, sprints, and most of the exercises in the ladder drills video that Flex posted on my thread. Because I have am entire gym to myself, I will be doing these over a line, not a ladder.

I know that it isn't marathon skills that are needed for our great sport, but rather explosive speed with control. Explosion and control...sort of like speed and accuracy...and I plan to harness them all :D

12/28/06

-Jogged 4 miles

-Dryfired

There are exactly 106 days until my first major match (South Carolina Sectionals). I feel very good about how I am shooting now, and the practice schedual that I have been following, and it gives me warm fuzzies just knowing how prepared I will be 106 days from now.

With every day that passes, I become a better shooter :D

12/29/06

I was called in to work early, so I will dryfire at 10pm tonight.

I've also been re-reading Brian Enos' book, and it has placed me into a very rich experience of savoring everything around me. Two years ago, it all went over my head, but this time around, the book is influencing how I perceive my interactions with others, as well as my interactions with shooting.

Edited to remove super sappy content, and to mention what I noticed during practice tonight...

Focusing on snapping my left hand to my next magazine is going very well for me! I love the way my reloads are forming up :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

12/30/06

Dryfired...but after my wife honked me off something awful. I think that is the closest that I have come to simulating match stress during dryfire practice. It's a good thing that she knows how to piss me off...I'll have her do it again sometime :P

Even though I have 10k primers coming soon, I located 5k today and picked them up. I might as well load up as much as I can now...there doesn't seem to be much sense in waiting until the last minute, or until my press breaks in a time of need.

I went to a family gathering tonight (and went off my diet :huh: ) and told them all about the wonders of USPSA. By the end of the night, I had them duckwalking with me :D

1/1/07

Happy freakin' New Year!

-Overslept, so no jogging was done before work, but I did get all of my dryfire in.

There is a club match (yeah!!) next weekend that I am looking forward to...it's difficult to get ones competition fix here in Ohio after October <_< ...I gotta move to AZ!

1/1/07

Happy freakin' New Year!

-Overslept, so no jogging was done before work, but I did get all of my dryfire in.

There is a club match (yeah!!) next weekend that I am looking forward to...it's difficult to get ones competition fix here in Ohio after October <_< ...I gotta move to AZ!

That was one great thing about living in AZ, I could shoot 3-4 matches a week, even in winter. Kinda miss that...

1/1/07

Happy freakin' New Year!

Happy New Year!

Don't feel bad about sleeping in. I didn't get up until 9, lol..

Drew,

Miamisburg Sportsman Club has matches year round every 2nd Sunday of the month. They have an excellent selection of bays outdoors, and also have a nice indoor range-ergo the year-roundedness.

Hope to see you there! PM me if you need more info.

DanM,

Damn Metalpocalypse marathon on Adult Swim kept me up :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

That was one great thing about living in AZ, I could shoot 3-4 matches a week, even in winter. Kinda miss that...

Just got back from our New Years day match here in Maine.

Freezing rain changing to just rain... 34-39 degrees. 2" of snow, slush and ice.

Who says you can't shoot in the winter in the NE?

B)

Drew,

Miamisburg Sportsman Club has matches year round every 2nd Sunday of the month. They have an excellent selection of bays outdoors, and also have a nice indoor range-ergo the year-roundedness.

Hope to see you there! PM me if you need more info.

DanM,

Damn Metalpocalypse marathon on Adult Swim kept me up :D

I thought that might be the range you were speaking of. I was confused though; wouldn't the second Sunday actaully be a week from this Sunday (the 13th)?

The 2nd Sunday ..... is always the 2nd Sunday. Nothing changes that.

The match will be held on the 14th, but Micah if you come early, you can help setup. ;)

Amazingly enough, the f-ing jail is letting me loose that weekend, so if you need a hand Chris, I've got the time to spare :D

Rumor is that IE will be making a guest appearence :ph34r:

1/2/07

Hurrah a day off!

-Jogged for an hour on the treadmill while watching Matt Burkett Vol 7

-Dryfired 2 full sessions (two hours)

The range closed at 2pm today, so no livefire on my day off <_<

While cleaning out my filing cabinet, I found an old binder from a year ago when I was just getting in to USPSA. Inside the binder were printouts of scores from the now defunct Tuesday league at Sim Trainer. In the beginning, my times were horrible, my penalties were numerous, and my points were non-existent. People were beating the hell out of me then.

Flash forward to now. I have a diet, exercise, and practice regiment that I adhere to. I no longer see winning D class at the Tuesday league (something that I documented much about on those score sheets) as my peak goal, rather it is making the rank of master and kicking ass at Area matches. I know now what I need to do to achieve my goals. Every morning before work, the immediate pay value is there.

Looks like a good way to help your goals out, what are you doing in the dry fire sessions?

Thanks Steve! I am working with Anderson’s dryfire book, following 14 of the drills. My dryfire setup is 1/4th sized targets at 15 feet away with a trimmed business card in the upper portion of the A zone. At the beginning and end of every session, I perform 70-100 reloads without a timer, focusing on smoothness, and as you told me, stopping the sewing machine long enough to thread the needle.

I just put together my third shooting box, and plan on doing box-to-box drills sans my pistol at the gym, focusing on explosive energy and balance.

1/3/07

-Jogged 1 hour

-Dryfired

There is a dramatic difference in my visual acuity after I jog. It seems that the increase in heart rate and blood flow sharpens my senses and reduces the fatigue in my arms.

Anyway, is it freakin' spring yet? I'm ready to start shooting :D