Micah's Range Diary

Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey PB - something I noticed on the 2nd video - you look really tense in your shoulders. I'd be you can take a few tenths off your draw if you relaxed your shoulders and arms before the buzzer.

I put it to the timer and I'm easily 2/10ths quicker when I'm completely relaxed.

Give it a shot!

Fish, I clear my mind and take one more deep breath before the RU redy command and am usually calm, but I was tense as hell on that stage! It was my first one handed preformance since I have reworked my strong/weak hand technique.

Now that I've shot 4 stages of one handed stuff without any mikes, I know that it can be repeated again and again. Thanks for the tip Fish! I now know that I don't need to worry anymore :D

2/14/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

Instead of running the Burkett Reload drills twice in a session the way I usually do, I am changing it now to a "one step" reload. In the video of Sundays match, I am seen reloading in 4-5 steps, when the reload should be completed in 1-2. This will allow me to move faster and be ready to shoot the moment I enter my next position.

Watching yourself shoot is one of the best tools you can use to identify your strengths, weaknesses, and allow you to adjust accordingly.

2/15/07

-Full dryfire session

I wole up this morning at 7am to find all of the power out. Upon further inspection, the entire area was without power, so that killed my jogging routine for today.

Dryfire was excellent! My ability to keep my mind from wandering and simply experiencing the shooting has come a long way. When I work on the more intricate drills, everything flows smoothly and with balance. It looks like I'll be driving to Lexington next weekend for another club match! I always enjoy shooting with the regular crew, but also like competing against new people as well :)

Don't you mean the weekend after next. Lexington's matches are the first Sunday of every month. Somebody out there correct me if I am wrong. I would hate for you to drive that distance and no one be there.

Chris C.

Thanks for looking out Chris...It's not Lex per se, actually 50 miles away. Obviously I'm not the brains of the operation, rather the driver :) I do plan on shooting several matches in Lex this year however, as I used to go to college down there and miss that damn city!

2/16/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

Everything is grooving along well this morning. Jogging was smooth and fast, and the dryfiring was....well, smooth and fast (Flex-"Smooth IS Fast!)

Four months tomorrow I have been on by daily routine, and only two days in those four months were dryfire free. So far I have mailed out seven apps for major matches. The only way that I can justify spending the money on matches is by backing it up with disiplined training sessions. If I wanted to get my ass kicked, it would be cheaper to do it at a local club match :lol:

It really is going to be an excellent season! I look forward to meeting the rest of you Enos cats at Nationals this year!

I'm going to try to shoot at Wilmore next month myself. Shoot IDPA at Newburgh, IN on Saturday and Lexington on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will hold up this time. Last match got froze out and cancelled. They put on a good match and a good bunch of guys and gals.

Chris C.

Should be a hoot! I haven't been on Asbury campus since 2001.

I just got a call from my friend who's father is doing all of my embroidering...it appears that my stuff should be ready at least before next month's Miamisburg match...maybe in time for next weekend. If you see a moron wearing blue with the ol Pharaoh Bender logo at a match, stop me and say hi! I'll be going to a few big matches without my Dayton posse this season.

2/17/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

My one step reloads are beginning to pick up now. Although I should have been practicing them months ago, I consider myself fortunate to have all this time to work things out and prepare for the 07 season. Watching the vids of the Flordia Open here on the forums has me feelin' all frisky for my first big match of the season :D Less than two months from now...

Anyone from the tri-state area going to A5 this year? I need my fix of La Crosse beer! (and vindicate myself from the man-servant wager :P )

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

2/18/07

-One hour elliptical

-Full dryfire session

That's right...no jogging today, or for the time being. I gave the elliptical machine an hour of my time today and am convinced that it is a better workout because...

1) It was a much better cardiovascular workout

2) It worked the large upper leg muscles much more (think EXPLOSIVE movement!)

3) I burned a hell of a lot more calories in one hour

4) It was infinitely easier on my knees and ankles! I didn't have that Cathy Bates feeling when I was finished Misery04.jpg

My practice on one-step reloads is continuing to improve. Mastering said skill will trim seconds of my stage times where I previously took much too long setting up in new positions.

2/18/07

-One hour elliptical

-Full dryfire session

That's right...no jogging today, or for the time being. I gave the elliptical machine an hour of my time today and am convinced that it is a better workout because...

4) It was infinitely easier on my knees and ankles!

I don't want to say I told you so, but ..................... I told you so. B)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

2/18/07

-One hour elliptical

-Full dryfire session

4) It was infinitely easier on my knees and ankles!

My practice on one-step reloads is continuing to improve. Mastering said skill will trim seconds of my stage times where I previously took much too long setting up in new positions.

The Elliptical machine is very easy on the knees and back. They don't get that pounding that comes with jogging.

As far as having the reload completed by your first step can cut time down. I started working on it last week. I just set up 3 targets through a doorway. I stood so I could only see one target from the start position and had to take 3 to 4 steps to be able to see the other targets around the corner in the room. Its a good feeling to hit that reload by the first step and step into the doorway already bringing the gun to the target.

Flyin40

2/19/07

-One hour on the elliptical

-Full dryfire session

Jake made some excellent suggestions for improving my overall fitness...one of which is training with a heart monitor. This will allow me to keep my heart rate at the appropriate peak levels when doing cardio. I'm not good enough to make 40 yard shots while huffing and puffing.

Flyin40, I dig your practice routine with one step reloads. I am doing 80...20 in each direction currently, but will implement your strategy soon.

Still winter, and still almost two months away from my first big match...I changed my tag line around a little to exemplify my method of staying focused and creating immediate pay value for my training efforts. All day, I truely do dream about shooting...in a few months, those dreams will be realized, and I will begin to witness the effectiveness of my "off season" program.

2/20/07

-Full dryfire session

If I can shoot a match with the speed and precision that I practiced at today, my M card will be in the mail shortly. Fast, smooth, and groovy!

A true definition of irony...I was working out and watching Office Space when my phone rang..."I'm gonna need you to come in early today mkay? Grrrrrreat." I don't mind the extra money, since I delegate it to my "USPSA Slush Fund". After this week, I can add Area 5 to my list of majors :D

One more thing: I just received a call from the cat that's doing my embroidering...It's all finished and my wife will pick it up at 6 tonight. I'll post some picks just for s's and g's when I get home :)

2/21/07

-Full dryfire session

While working out today I watched the first hour of one of my favorite films of all time, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". I have not seen it since I began my voyage into serious competition, and was amazed at the many principles from the movie that can be applied to USPSA. Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) states that "True sharpness comes without effort", and this is shown in his fighting style. Moving with perfect fluidity, he never makes a movement that is unneeded. His speed is derived from his economy of motion.

"Like most things, I am nothing. It is the same for the sword. All of it is a state of mind." That quote struck chords as well.

I took a quick photo of some of my Bender gear...I will have the opportunity to wear it at a match this Sunday. Another big thank you to BritanUSA for submitting such a groovy logo :D

DSCN0789.jpg

2/22/07

-Full dryfire session

I have made several new changes to my routine. Instead of Burkett drills, I am not preforming 60 complete reloads at Tai-Chi speed. I do enough "at speed" reloads in the rest of my drills. Being the second drill in my session, this gets me focused and re-alligned.

Also instead of preforming 60 one step reloads at the end of the session, I now shoot two headshots on the move, then do a 1 step reload and engage the target in the next room with two headshots on the move. It had occured to me that I have been neglecting on the move training with my actual gun, rather just training at work with the blue gun. Obviously now I will do more at home with it.

I worked out today watching the first hour of "The 40 Year Old Virgin"...not too many quotes that I would apply to the actual shooting...maybe partying in downtown LaCrosse however! Place the seed and wait for it to grow into a plant... :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

coolness!

Have you read The Book of Five Rings?? If not, many things apply to our game.

I have not, but will now look in to it. Thanks for the recommendation Fish.

I read my copy annually; at least. Every time something different becomes clear. It seems to follow my shooting career - each step I have taken unlocks a previous riddle.

Kinda cool, if you ask me.