Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

3/4/07

-One hour on the elliptical

-Full dryfire session

I believe that I have the hang of my heart monitor now, and am excited to use it to keep track of my cardiovascular improvements over the coming months. Today's workout movie was the 2nd half of Star Wars Ep1. Why the hell was Yoda a damn muppet in Ep1, but CGI in 2-3?

Today was bump day, as I went down a tenth on all my my drills that I have given par times. My new focus is on shooting on the move. For the next month, it will be my goal to obtain the skill set for this important part of USPSA. I added the two moving drills to my daily routine, and will do additional work while @ work. (Blue gun, water bottle, duck walking to piss off the inmates :) )

6 classifier match in exactly one week! RO class and the end of the month...and the Mother Funkin' SC Sectional April 13th! :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3/4/07

-Full dryfire session

I believe that I have the hang of my heart monitor now, and am excited to use it to keep track of my cardiovascular improvements over the coming months. Today's workout movie was the 2nd half of Star Wars Ep1. Why the hell was Yoda a damn muppet in Ep1, but CGI in 2-3?

Today was bump day, as I went down a tenth on all my my drills that I have given par times. My new focus is on shooting on the move. For the next month, it will be my goal to obtain the skill set for this important part of USPSA. I added the two moving drills to my daily routine, and will do additional work while @ work. (Blue gun, water bottle, duck walking to piss off the inmates :) )

6 classifier match in exactly one week! RO class and the end of the month...and the Mother Funkin' SC Sectional April 13th! :D

Gettin a little woody thinking about that match now are ya??? :D:D

Hey PB, You going to the RO class at Miamisburg? If so I'll see ya there. I've got all my classifier matches (including Miamisburg) marked down in my calendar. Sounds like your keeping your workout schedule pretty good. Keep it up. As far as Yoda, I have no idea except that you see him do a lot more "moving around" in 2 and 3. See you on the range.

Hey PB, You going to the RO class at Miamisburg? If so I'll see ya there. I've got all my classifier matches (including Miamisburg) marked down in my calendar. Sounds like your keeping your workout schedule pretty good. Keep it up. As far as Yoda, I have no idea except that you see him do a lot more "moving around" in 2 and 3. See you on the range.

I will be at the RO class. It's high time I give back more to the sport, and give a break to the hardworking RO's in my area.

Yesterday at work became the day from hell, as I had to deal with three inmates that knew that they were being revocated the next day. Today will be different, as I will have more staff to handle any unforseeing issues. I WILL do as much additional on the move training today as possible in addition to my dryfire routine. I really, REALLY don't want to be awake right now, nor do I want to work out at 8...but I will suck it up.

3/5/07

-Full dryfire session

I worked my ASS off this morning in the gym, maintaining 78% of my max hr over the hour-long workout. Today's workout movie was the 1st hour of Star Wars Ep.2

All last night I was thinking about ways to make the absolute most of my dryfire sessions, and I wrote down two things on a note card: "Snap the focus" and "Visual Patience". Today’s dryfire, I focused harder than ever to perform these tasks to the best of my ability, and what I found was astounding. I was seeing perfect, PERFECT sight pictures, and still beating my new par times.

Basically (and I know that it's been said before, but being told something and experiencing it yourself are two different things) the use of acute visual patience DOES NOT take any additional time, rather simply a sharper level of focus. Literally, today I have found out how to pick up free points that I've been missing out on :D

I do have tomorrow off, and seriously intend on going to the range. I'm not kidding :lol:

3/6/07

-Full dryfire session

-75 minutes of livefire!

Thank God I have a day off...work was starting to get to me. Although I had planned on sleeping in today, my body naturally woke up at 7am, so I went with the flow. I had a great workout today to the 2nd part of Episode 2...my average hr was 79% of my max!

Dryfire was again smooth and precise. I am noticing now that things are becoming more automatic. Instead of thinking "reload", I naturally perform the entire task. I find myself looking at the magwell every time, as opposed to thinking "magwell". My on the move work is improving...I am trying to find my body types best approach in terms of stride length.

Although the range closed at 2pm today, I still managed to get my ass down there and shoot 450 rounds. I began with 3in. plates at 45, 55, 65 feet, than plate transitions at 45, 55, 65. Weak/strong hand is looking great-I just need to keep in mind that I cannot miss fast enough. Perfect sight alignment is needed for one handed shooting past 45 feet. I hope to improve on that as the season progresses.

The asshat shooting his Hi-Point left at 3:15, and having the range to myself, I set up an array of three targets and went downrange. I was VERY pleased with my livefire performance of Steve's dryfire drills...particularly my ability to shoot headshots with speed. For the remaining time, I worked on shooting on the move. (And from now on, I will refer to this as SOTM ;) ) Although it doesn't make sense right now, I can say that I did better with SOTM at the range than when I dryfire.

The next time I go to the range, I will try to pick a random day that nobody shoots...and exclusively work on SOTM.

Today was a great day of shooting. I am going to tear down my pistol tonight and give it a detailed cleaning and inspection...and if the wife doesn't complain too much, load up some more ammo. I have decided to shoot Production at the 6 classifier match this Sunday. If I happen to stumble into A class, than that's were I need to be.

I will be at the RO class. It's high time I give back more to the sport, and give a break to the hardworking RO's in my area.

Yesterday at work became the day from hell, as I had to deal with three inmates that knew that they were being revocated the next day. Today will be different, as I will have more staff to handle any unforseeing issues. I WILL do as much additional on the move training today as possible in addition to my dryfire routine. I really, REALLY don't want to be awake right now, nor do I want to work out at 8...but I will suck it up.

Hey PB,

I don't know if you knew that those Revocators come to me. I work in the State Prison, our facility is the intake facility for the State of Ohio. I'm going in tonight for a 16hr shift, I'll stop by and say hello for ya.................

Flyin40

Hey PB,

I don't know if you knew that those Revocators come to me. I work in the State Prison, our facility is the intake facility for the State of Ohio. I'm going in tonight for a 16hr shift, I'll stop by and say hello for ya.................

Flyin40

Heh :D I kinda knew what your line of work was...I remember Uncle Bill telling me a story about how you "Can pick out the punks" ;) Simone Epps is the DYS Parole officer for my area. I was so short staffed this weekend with every f*#king kid going off :angry::angry: We are both batshit crazy being in this line of work!

You don't have to be an RO ............ to RO at the local level.

What are you waiting for ? Your Birthday ? ;)

You don't have to be an RO ............ to RO at the local level.

What are you waiting for ? Your Birthday ? ;)

Nah. We'll be kicking butt and taking makes at Area 6 over my birthday. Becoming an official RO will make me a better Level 1 RO. I don't want to harm someones score/give them a competitive edge just because I didn't know something that I should.

Are you back from sunny Flordia?

3/7/07

-Full dryfire session

Ave hr was 78% of my max today during the workout *pant*. Watched the first hour of "Collateral" and got a kick out my me shouting at the movie. "Don't double tap, rather two controlled shots" :P

Another exceptionally smooth day in dryfire. Again I am focusing on visual patience and effortless transistion via snapping my attention. SOTM drills were also smooth, as I am getting in tune with my own way of doing it.

Only a handful of days left until the 6 classifier match...I already have TWO bets on that one ;)

3/8/07

-Full dryfire session

I really, REALLY did not want to get up early today to workout. When my alarm went off, I weighed out the pros and cons. Then I remembered that while I lay there in bed, my competition is already hitting the gym...so I got off my ass and worked out. Another killer day in the gym, my ave hr was 77% of max. Watching the 2nd half of Collateral, I just don't understand why the good guys don't shoot the baddies IMMEDIATELY! :P

Dryfire started off rough...I allowed myself to get pissed off and caught myself swearing loudly at my reloads. I sat down for a minute and looked at all of the matches that I am going to this season, took a deep breath, and regained my focus. SOTM continues to some together...I added 3 PP's in my den and 3 targets in the laundry room. Basically on the start signal I shoot the 3 targets with 2 rounds each on the move, then dash (reloading while I dash) to the den and "knock down" the steel.

I'm f-ing tired today, but am making every attempt to think positively about work today. Come on Lanny!

Hey PB, how long dose your Full dryfire session take on an average session?

It used to be around 80-90 minutes...but now that it's been smoothed out, around 60 minutes flat. I do additional "field course" drills depending on how much time I have left until I need to run to work.

3/9/07

-One half-hour on the elliptical

-Full dryfire session

The weather today is amazing! Having the chance to take the boys out to see the neighborhood for the first time in months without falling on ice, I finished out my cardio.

Dryfire went well today...I have a desire to hit EVERY reload, and find myself fustrated at times when this is not the case. I push myself in practice to test my speed limits and should be more understanding when I exceed them.

I dryfired an extra 20 minutes today working purely on SOTM and running reloads. I can tell a difference in just the week of focus on these techniques.

GSSF "match" tomorrow, and classifier match this Sunday. Let's hope that the weather stays this beautiful throughout the weekend :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

3/10/07

-Full dryfire session

Today's workout was smooth...I find that I do not lose my breath as easily anymore, which is obviously one of the main reasons that I am investing time into cardio workouts. After a quick shower, I was off to shoot a GSSF match with Keen. While we waited (and waited and waited....) to shoot, I was amazed at the amount of stupidity that surrounded me. There was a guy TEACHING another guy how to shoot, using what appeared to be the Helen Keller technique. My score was 478, a personal best, so I was pleased.

Came home and dryfired. SOTM continues to show improvement, as well as one step reloads. All the movements are automatic and without thought.

I am super pissed about one thing though...I set a weight goal for myself a month ago, and didn't even come CLOSE to making it...looking back through my journal I certainly worked my ass off in the gym... <_< . The best thing that I can do now is appreciate that I am in much better shape, and set another goal for one month from now. <Cathartic moment> Now I feel better.

Tomorrow is the 6 classifier match in Miamisburg, and I am looking forward to shooting at my top level. If I upclass in Production, than my resolve will be all the more focused. I also plan on re-shooting in Open with my G34! I won't change a damn thing, I just need some classifiers so that I can obtain a class! I'll have videos and pics of the whole damn thing tomorrow...Rumor has it that special guests Matt Cheely and Steve Moneypenny will be coming out as well :)

3/10/07

.......I was off to shoot a GSSF match with Keen. While we waited (and waited and waited....) to shoot, I was amazed at the amount of stupidity that surrounded me. There was a guy TEACHING another guy how to shoot, using what appeared to be the Helen Keller technique.

I think Helen calls it the Tea-Cup grip combined with the Masaad Ayoob stance. I couldnt tell if he was honestly trying to make us laugh, or he was bleeding from the wrist & was trying to hold the blood in.

3/10/07

-Full dryfire session

.......I was off to shoot a GSSF match with Keen.

........... Came home and dryfired. SOTM continues to show improvement, as well as one step reloads. All the movements are automatic and without thought.

If you did a FULL dryfire session this morning ....... how can there be anything left to do this afternoon ???

Please tell me you're going to take tommorow OFF from dryfiring :unsure:

3/11/07

-MATCH!

-Full dryfire session

Match day! Miamisburg set up a challenging 6 stage classifier match today, and it was my first time shooting a match outdoors for the 07 season. Needless to say, I was happy to return to the great outdoors. I was very calm and focused throughout the match, and as a result experienced some things that are new to me.

Watching the masters shoot, I was always amazed that they could place two holes about an inch apart from each other right in the middle of the A zone, and be FAST at it! Today, I was the guy poking the tight groups in the A zone, and it felt effortless.

On two of the stages, I completely saw my sights lift out of the notch and float right back down, only to rest on the A zone of the next target. The classifiers that we shot, and my hf's were...

99-23 Front Sight (9.98)

03-08 Madness (6.01) <Zero points down>

th_MicahMadness-1.jpg

06-04 Fluffy's Revenge 1 (10.101) <Zero points down>

th_-MicahFluffy1-2.jpg

06-10 Steely Speed VII (6.553)

th_MicahSS-2.jpg

06-05 Fluffy's Revenge 2 (9.75) <Zero points down>

th_-MicahFluffy2-2.jpg

03-03 Take 'em Down (4.554)

Next time I will be sure that the video includes the steel shots (and avoid the spaz attack on my reloads) :D

It was a great (long) day of shooting! Although I was tired, I still found the energy to dryfire once I got home from the match. I enjoyed seeing the usual Enos suspects, as well as meeting some new friends. I am very pleased to see that my practicing is paying off and giving me the results that I am looking for. I have a feeling that I may find myself in A class once the USPSA classifiers update this week.

I got to see my sights move in a way that used to be foreign to me. I look forward to seeing them do that again...again...and again :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

The results are in...

Miamisburg (Club OH04)

3/11/2007

Division Name USPSA Competitors

Limited Chad R. L2690 10

Limited_10 Bob V. A49056 7

Open John F. A40907 5

Production Micah B. A55030 16

Total: 38

I'll be damned :D A BIG special thanks to KEEN, who not only coached the stupidity out of me, but after setting up, staying all day, and tearing down, STILL makes the time to process 40 scoresheets and post the results in a few hours :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Outstanding PB, I'm going to need to practice a little more. I always seem to end up in the middle of the pack and thats just not good enough for me. This was my first match at Miamisburg and I got to say "Great Range (a little muddy) and Great People". I will be back! And a big thanks to Mr Keen. I guess there is a little more to Master class than just good shooting. You are lucky to have someone like him to work with.

Edited by dcarter