Micah

Shipping estimate for these items: February 28, 2007

Delivery estimate: March 2, 2007 - March 5, 2007

1 "The Art of War (Shambhala Classics)"

Sun Tzu; Paperback; $4.95

Sold by: Amazon.com

1 "Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy"

Miyamoto Musashi; Hardcover; $9.99

Locked and loaded. The gods are smiling on me today as I received a $20 off promotion as well :D I needed another copy of The Art of War as it was loaned out never to return. Karma brought me another copy :)

Thanks again Fish for the recommendation. I needed something else to add to my reading rotation of Enos/Kirsch/Bassham/Plaxico

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2/23/07

-One hour on the elliptical

-Full dryfire session

I worked out today to the Space City Challenge created by competitiondvd. I got so pumped that I didn't notice that my hour was up.

Dryfire was equally great. I have set up a simple stage upstairs that tests shooting on the move, one step reloads, headshots and poppers. Instead of doing 60 one step reloads, I ran this stage 60 perfect times. I must say that I am happy with my reloads and on the move stability...I've been practicing on the elliptical keeping my upper body completely stable with my arms in a shooting position.

Thank God for having the weekend of! I'll load up a bunch of practice ammo for the weeks to come tonight.

^^^^^^^

-Live fire!

I had the opportunity to sneak in some livefire this afternoon, working on smooth transitions, one step reloads, and barricades. I am relatively pleased with my outcome, but need to maintain visual patience throughout live fire practice.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

2/24/07

-Full dryfire session

Went to Uncle Bill's party tonight and had a great time seeing old friends. Unfortunately it dumped ice and slush by the bucketfulls and I was forced to leave early, lest I endanger my wifes life in my rear-wheel drive S10. It looks like I will be unable to shoot the KY club match tomorrow :( . Worst case scenario, I have 2-3 dryfire sessions and spend the remains of the day loading ammo and working out.

Went to Uncle Bill's party tonight and had a great time seeing old friends. Unfortunately it dumped ice and slush by the bucketfulls and I was forced to leave early, lest I endanger my wifes life in my rear-wheel drive S10. It looks like I will be unable to shoot the KY club match tomorrow :( . Worst case scenario, I have 2-3 dryfire sessions and spend the remains of the day loading ammo and working out.

2-3 dryfire sessions in a day is your WORST CASE scenario ???

What's the matta ? Don't want to "bond" with the in-laws ??? :lol:

Sorry I missed Bill's party; I was working the gun show and couldn’t make it sucks.

Gun show ..... Smun Show! How often do we have a shooters party ??? How many gun shows are there in a year ?

2-3 dryfire sessions in a day is your WORST CASE scenario ???

What's the matta ? Don't want to "bond" with the in-laws ??? :lol:

Okay...the TRUE worst case scenario is visiting the in-law. Entering a crotch-kicking contest would be preferable...

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Gun show ..... Smun Show! How often do we have a shooters party ??? How many gun shows are there in a year ?

A lot, but not that many I reserve a month in advance and have to work,

If I have too I will give up my spot on Team ... "Uncle Pimp Daddy" in shame.

2/25/07

-Full dryfire session

I actually had an excellent time today with my wife. Her family is bat crap crazy, but it amazingly brings us closer together.

Dryfire was smooth tonight. After looking at the posted stage diagrams for Summer Blast and the SC Sectional, I have a deeper sense of desire to prepare myself to compete at my very best.

Edit to add-I finally picked up a Polar F11 training system for my cardio workouts. Thanks to Jake for making the suggestion!

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

2/26/07

-Full dryfire session

My copies of The Book of Five Rings and The Art of War arrived today with perfect timing, as I am working a damn 4-4 shift today. My routine was disrupted today as I was unable to work out before dryfire. During dryfire, I found myself becoming exceedingly fustrated and had to take a break. Obviously this is something that I need to work on, as I will not have the option to take a break during a major match.

I believe that re-reading Saul's second book will help reallign my attitude for such occations.

2/27/07

-Full dryfire session

I spent most of my day off doing little things around the house, loading ammo, and spending plenty of quality time with my wife. This tranquility carried over into my dryfire this evening, as my reloads, draws, and transitions were flowing and precise.

2/28/07

-Full dryfire session

I am including more and more skill sets into my additional dryfiring. In addition to one step reloads and shooting on the move, I have added entering and exiting shooting positions. Last day of February...it looks like the local clubs have thawed out and will be set to have matches in March! The "off season" is almost finished. How did you spend your off season?

I jogged yesterday and its so much harder on the knees.

Flyin40

Brother that is the truth! My routine used to start an extra hour earlier, when I would have to stretch, take a HOT bath, strech, rub Icy Hot on my knees and ankles, strech, THEN go jogging. Now it's a quick 15 minute strech and straight to the workout room. My Polar watch should be arriving any day now, and I look forward to training with it. I may not be the best Production shooter at the big matches this year, but damnit I'll be the fittest :D

3/1/07

-Full dryfire session

I had the opportunity to use my Polar F11 today while working out. There is a staunch learning curve that I intend on mastering in the next few days...but what I do know already is that I burned 955 calories, and my average heart rate was 156.

Dryfire today was smooth and precise. This is the last month of the off season for me, and looking back, I can say that I have spent it well. Although I dabbled in dryfiring a year ago, it wasn't until after the Ohio Sectional that I made the decision to set my goal of making master, and backed it up with my daily routine. Below is a pic of my old dryfire diary, and the one that I currently use...

DSCN0790.jpg

Here's a pick of the Burkett drill sheet. Although the date begins on the 16th of October, I had begin my program on the 7th...a day after the OH Sectional.

DSCN0793.jpg

I spend an hour a day working on this array of three targets, then I shift to my "field course", which has targets and poppers in the upstairs bathroom, laundry room, and my reloading sanctuary :D

DSCN0794.jpg

18 months ago I was a goofy bastard looking for a range to test fire my CCW.

18 months later, I have made outstanding friendships through this sport. My two mentors in the game continue to guide me, and my resolve to achieve my goals has never been stronger. I'm still a goofy bastard, but by the end of this season, I'll be the one with the M card :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Good deal on the heart rate monitor. A few lifetimes ago, I used to race road bikes and compete in triathlons. I'd do one or the other for a couple years, get bored and switched to the other and this went on for some time.

Long story short I used a HR monitor quite a bit in my training because the monitor never lies. After a few years, I got to the point that I'd not have to use it because I would always pay attention to how it *felt* at a certain degree of putting out. I couldn't tell you my exact heart rate, but largely through discomfort level, I could gauge pretty damn close to where my HR was.

So, learn to *feel* what it's like to be going hard and learn what it feels like to be taking it easy. You'll be amazed at the feedback from your body that you can pick up by just paying attention. The more in tune you are with your body, the better off you will be; and this applies to a day at the range as well....

Keep it up PB!!

Thanks Fish. Working out with it today, I was "pushed" to keep my heart rate within my goal setting. The end result was a more intense workout, more calories burned, and in the long run, better fitness and a lower resting heart rate. I will eventually use it at matches early on in this season in conjunction with relaxation techniques to assist my match nerves. It's stupid...I can be attacked by a 300lbs crackhead at work and be fine, but tell me to load and make ready and my heart leaps out of my chest :wacko:

How's that Saul book working out for ya? I've read my copy 5-6 times and consider it to be one of the finest pieces of shooting literature on the market.

3/2/07

-Full dryfire session

Another excellent workout with the heart monitor. It's like having a coach saying "Faster you bum!" I exercised today to the first hour of "Freddy VS Jason"...heh :D

The weather is excellent outside today, and it's got me all frisky and ready to shoot outdoor matches. Dryfire was also smooth...my shooting on the move is becoming more refined and my one step reloads are coming together nicely. One handed shooting is in the box and no longer a hinderance. It's nice being able to check off weaknesses. Once everything else is up to par, obviously I will want to up my skill level in one handed-ness, but for now, it is solid.

3/3/07

-Full dryfire session

Another killer workout, I am continuing to better understand the heart monitor.

I have added two new drills from Steve Anderson's book to my daily routine:

24. Upper 6 on the Move

25. Forward 6 on 3, 3 on 3

These drills will assist me in shooting on the move, as well as one step reloads. I gotta be honest...right now I am rather terrible at drill #24. Saying that, I look forward to capitalizing on this opportunity point in my game.

Some days my mind wants to wonder when I am dryfiring, like today. When that happens, I think about all of the matches that I am going to this year, and the skills needed to win said matches. Visual patience, smoothness, economy of motion...these thoughts keep me on task.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

3/2/07

The weather is excellent outside today, and it's got me all frisky and ready to shoot outdoor matches.

Enjoy your EXCELLENT weather today, and think about how much fun you'd be having at Circleville right now ! ;) I'm at the Airport waiting for a plane to Florida B) B) B)

Should I bring you some sunshine back ???

3/2/07

The weather is excellent outside today, and it's got me all frisky and ready to shoot outdoor matches.

Enjoy your EXCELLENT weather today, and think about how much fun you'd be having at Circleville right now ! ;) I'm at the Airport waiting for a plane to Florida B) B) B)

Should I bring you some sunshine back ???

That's right! I totally forgot. Have a safe trip Chris, and tell your folks I said "What up yo" :D True enough, the temp plummited and the snow resumed. Spring is coming...I'm just not sure when.