Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

I am allowing my gun to recoil far too much.

I was told that once too. After reading Eno's book, I decided to relax my grip and allow the gun to recoil normally. Im not a student of recoil control. I like to be more focused on relaxation in the hands, arms and shoulders, floating the gun.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1/16/07

-Live fire [700rds/2.5 hrs]

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

Finally a day to myself!! I kicked it all off by spending 2.5 hours at the range today. I began with shooting groups at 30, 60, and 70 feet (the max @ this range). No problems there, so I went on to headshots at 30, 60, and 70 feet, remembering what I needed to see to make those shots. Throughout all of my practice, I was using my new grip...it will still take me some time to get accustomed to it, but the payoff is well worth it. Here are two video clips that I took today so that I could see the difference in muzzle lift between the two grip techniques...

Former Grip

New Grip

...again, I still need to make it subconscious.

After that, I got down to what I came to do...and that was work on one handed shooting. Utilizing the mechanics of my new grip, and conforming to a more aggressive shooting stance, I was able to gain more control of the gun. Spending the bulk of my time and ammo on weak/strong hand, I can say that I better understand the POA and the way the sights track. At the days end, I was able to get 11/15 shots in the A/C zone from 30 feet weak hand, and 15/15 shots in the A zone at 40 feet strong hand.

SH1-16.jpg

Sure this looks like buckshot, but in comparison to my previous foray into strong handed shooting, it is definitely an improvement, and that is all I can ask of myself.

Today was a great day of shooting and practice. I can say with 1000% accuracy that I am a better competitor today than I was on Monday :D:D

700rnds? wow....

When brass is free and you roll your own...and shoot 9mm, and have the day to your self...AND you are tired of getting your ass handed to you every time you need to shoot one-handed...700rnds isn't that much :D

1/17/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session.

My grip is coming more natural to me, and I feel that it will not take too long to make it second nature. After watching 3GM and trying several different methods, I have changed the way I turn and draw when I must start facing uprange. As opposed to pivoting on my left foot and swinging my right around, now I simply pivot on my right and step through with the left. This placed me in a more aggressive and stable shooting stance.

The match app for Area 6 is on it's way to Georgia! I am greatful for the time that I have now during the "off season" to make myself a better competitor. I will have time tonight to work on transitions in the gym here at work.

A though that makes me smile...I wanna be that guy that goes to a match, and when people see me they say "Damnit, Micah's here. I guess I'll take 2nd."

:D

Micah I really like the idea of pivoting on the right and stepping through with the left. That has been my trouble not ending up in a stable shooting position. Damn.....I am at work and now I can't wait to get home and try it in dry fire. I better get back to work and quit spinning around before someone has me committed. :wacko: Thanks for the idea. B)

No problem IE, but it belongs to Angus and Max. Using the step-through, I end up in a natural, aggressive stance...whereas beforehand, I was left with an unstable platform to shoot from.

Practice what you can at work man. The people here already know I'm f'in crazy :D

1/18/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

The only thing about working weekends is getting the odd weekday days off. After jogging and dryfiring this morning, I decided to load up my last 2000 bullets. 495 rounds into it, my primer decapper broke (again). Luckily I had one left, and called Lee and ordered 8 new ones. While replacing it, I completely stripped the bolt that holds it in the die, and thus I decided to go to Wal-Mart, get it unfunked, and change the oil in my truck. From there, I was going to go to the range and work more on strong/weak hand.

The wife got off work early (teacher) and wanted to meet up for dinner. Although I wanted to shoot, dinner was just the thing to grease her up for when I tell her that Area matches don't really cost as little as club matches :lol::lol:

All in all, another good day. I'll load up some more ammo, and get to bed early so I can sneak in my exercise and dryfiring before I go in at noon.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

1/19/07

-Full dryfire session

I did not get a chance to jog today before work, as the community staff are fixing up the workout room. I will attempt to exercise as much as I can today at work.

For whatever reason, dryfire practice today began to feel clumsy with fumbled reloads and missed shots. I made the decision to take a different approach and turned off the timer and allowed myself to take my time, completing each drill in almost a Tai-Chi manner.

1/20/07

-Full dryfire session

I overslept this morning, bust still had time to take the dogs for a quick jog and dryfire before work.

Last night I was loading up the rest of my ammo when my last decapping pin snapped. That's two in two days <_< Luckally Lee is sending me 8 new ones (I had to buy them though). Remind me again why the hell I bought a Dillon 550, but Lee dies?

On a happier note, only three months until my first major match of 2007!

1/21/07

-Full dryfire session

It seems like one full our of running dryfire drills is my maximum. Without taking a break, my wrist and fingers start to ache, and my accuity drops.

I really can't think of anything else to say right now...I'm just looking forward to the SC Sectional :D

More reflection on today...

My new grip is continually becoming more natural, but not quite reflexive. Looking at my work schedual, I should be able to live fire two-three times in the following week...and pending the arrival of my replacement primer decapping pins, roll up the rest of my bullets.

I am trying to decide as to which division I should shoot in next months special classifier match. I am currently unclassified in all other divisions, and last month made B+ in Production. Should I go ahead and shoot it in Production again? There are certainly positives and negatives to jumping two classes in two months...

1/22/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

Everything about today is grooving along amazingly well! My dryfire is consistantly better after I exercise, and I will use that to my advantage at larger matches. My senses are sharpened and my body loosened up. My new grip is almost second nature at this point, which has me very happy. With strong/weak hand dryfire, there is no par time, rather I am focusing on the sensation of gripping the gun as high as I can, and focusing intently on the front sight. I won't be masterclass by just getting one handed shooting down, but it sure as sh!t will give me back a ton of match points.

Thanks again to everyone that has submitted a design for my logo. As you can see, I have adopted one submission as my new avatar..."Bender in man-thong" :D By all means keep them coming!

1/22/07

Thanks again to everyone that has submitted a design for my logo. As you can see, I have adopted one submission as my new avatar..."Bender in man-thong" :D By all means keep them coming!

Your a sick sick man :o

1/23/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire session

Another great day of training! I loaded 400 rounds @ 3a when I got come from work, and killed the rest of my bullet supply loading up the remaining 1200 or so. My 4 gallon bucket is finally full of ammo, so now I get to do the fun part of it all and shoot it.

Dryfire was again supernaturally smooth and precise. It was almost three months ago that I went to Steve, Kyle, Bill and Chris for help with my reloading technique. After getting the information that I needed, I implemented it into my daily dryfire routine. Three months ago, I couldn't do an accurate reload to save my life, and it was hindering my overall performance. Now, it's one of my strengths!

I have many more months before my first big match to turn more deficiencies into strengths. I can honestly say now that I am ready to take the next step into A class…

1/25/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

While jogging today, I watched the first half of The Last Samurai, and was quite interested as to something that I saw. While competing against a skilled warrior, Tom Cruise's character is given the advice of "no mind". Upon hearing this, Cruise allowed his mind to stop forcing the technique and his swordsmanship flowed from his body naturally and unabated.

No mind...making my shooting flow without awareness, rather just standing back and watching the shooting. Brian talks about catching his keys if thrown at you. There is no thought of technique, nor is the task of catching the keys broken down into smaller components. Without thought...without mind...your hands and body flow.

1/25/07

-Jogged for one hour

-Full dryfire drills

While jogging today, I watched the first half of The Last Samurai, and was quite interested as to something that I saw. While competing against a skilled warrior, Tom Cruise's character is given the advice of "no mind". Upon hearing this, Cruise allowed his mind to stop forcing the technique and his swordsmanship flowed from his body naturally and unabated.

No mind...making my shooting flow without awareness, rather just standing back and watching the shooting. Brian talks about catching his keys if thrown at you. There is no thought of technique, nor is the task of catching the keys broken down into smaller components. Without thought...without mind...your hands and body flow.

"Use the force Luke, use the force"

Great movie, just bought it last weekend. B)