Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

What an excellent weekend of shooting with friends. Saturday was Circleville, where it rained 80% of the time and the stages were tricky. Sunday brought sun and heat in Oxford, which for the first time in it's history had 5 stages. FIVE! Thanks to the Ox crew for getting that 5th bay up and operational!!

Here is the video from Cville. I am a moron and left the camera on my computer desk today, so there is no video of the awesome Oxford match:

th_CvilleJuly3rd.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with Jeff Wilson, head honcho of glocktriggers.com on Monday. We talked shop, shooting, and Glock...three of my fav topics. Even had the opportunity to check out his new Vogel trigger system. Gotta be honest, I thought my diy trigger was good, but the Vogel system felt ALOT better, particularly in the reset and overall distance of the trigger pull.

No shooting for me this weekend, as I am taking a much needed no-tech vacation: Out in the middle of nowhere in a log cabin :) I should be able to sneak in one more club match before shooting the Indiana State.

hey micha,

would it be possible for you to post a picture of you grip from both sides?

Sure! I will need to wait until someone comes along and can take the pix for me, as both of my hands will be busy, so if you can wait a day or two, I will post them up here.

Just got back from a groovy mini-vacation from Hocking Hills here in Ohio. Hiked the majority of trails there netting 15+ miles. Those miles are INFINITELY more difficult than the trails found here in the Dayton area to be sure...I am aching right now, and being someone that pushes the cardio here at home that means something!

I joined IDPA over the weekend as well. After shooting matches here and there, I felt that it was in the best interest of myself, glocktriggers.com, and the shooting community as a whole to enlist in this great shooting sport!

There is not alot of shooting going on during this week, but the weekend provides the monthly MRPC match, which will be my last match before the Indiana State Sectional Championship match...a match that is notorious for being hardcore. I plan to really buckle down and put in the reps to ensure that I give my best performance for that match.

The grand signing of the new contract for my new teaching position happens sometime this week, and after that I can map out the rest of my major matches for the remainder of the 2011 shooting season. Area 8, MI Sectional, TN Sectional are just a few that I desire to add to my list. Just gotta wait and see what days I can take off.

Thanks Micah!! No rush at all. I really appreciate it! Glad you had a nice lil vacation.

As always ill be checking back.

Thank you for your patience. The gf came over tonight, and per the sticky note on my laptop, put her to work immediately. Here is my grip from four angles:

2011-07-19_19-14-26_125.jpg

My left hand is cocked at a 90 degree angle with my thumb riding the side of my pistol. My left hand does the vast majority of the heavy lifting...contributing about 80% of my overall handle on the gun. My left hand is the driver of the gun: it dictates the speed of my transitions when I snap my attention.

2011-07-19_19-15-03_953.jpg

My right hand completes the lock on the pistol, locking in with the fingers from my left. The right hand's responsability is to pull the trigger cleanly rearward without disturbing the sights. Depending on the target, my right hand may have little grip on the gun at all...such as 30y+ targets. In those cases, the only thing that I want to feel in my right hand is the sear disconnecting, then resetting.

2011-07-19_19-14-42_675.jpg

My right thumb rests on the ridge of my left hand comfortably while applying a little tension on the side of the gun.

2011-07-19_19-21-35_295.jpg

From the front you can again see the lock that my hands form on the pistol. This allows maximum hand-to-gun contact and reduces the overall felt recoil, as well as allows me to snap the gun to the next target accurately without having to readjust.

Thank you for posting these awesome pictures with the notations!! Tell the gf I do appreciate it!!

I have a few questions!

- your left pinky finger is locked in under your right hand. with your left hand cocked like that is your left pinky finger pushing up and in on the right hand fingers or is most of the left pinky pressure on the frame?

- how much of your trigger finger do you use?

- the 90 degree cant of the left hand will reduce muzzle flip?

Once again that you very very much for alllllll of your help!

My left inky finger is locked into position just under my right pinky finger and does apply pressure on the frame.

I use the tip of my finger on the trigger, about half a centimeter from the beginning of my nail.

The reduction in muzzle flip comes from properly gripping the gun, applying the correct amount of pressure but not fighting recoil, and maintaining a proper stance. Grip is a big player in this equation, so yup...this grip will inherently reduce muzzle flip :)

My left inky finger is locked into position just under my right pinky finger and does apply pressure on the frame.

I use the tip of my finger on the trigger, about half a centimeter from the beginning of my nail.

The reduction in muzzle flip comes from properly gripping the gun, applying the correct amount of pressure but not fighting recoil, and maintaining a proper stance. Grip is a big player in this equation, so yup...this grip will inherently reduce muzzle flip :)

Thanks Micah!!

Im stoked to try this!

Hey Micah!

Congrats on being the team captain. I have a challenger in my 35 and could not be happier. I am sure you will be a great representative for Jeff and his products!

Brian

Thanks Brian! Jeff sells an amazing product and I am very proud to use and represent it!

Hot , hot, HOT match today here in Ohio! It is only a sample of what I have waiting for me next weekend at the Indiana State Championship!

th_07-24-2011MRPC.jpg

I have come to acknowledge that my first stage at any match is shot VERY slow and conservative...almost as if I need to warm up and get into a groove. In a match with 5, 10, or 15 stages, every stage counts, and I cannot afford to have a warm up stage. Looks like a gap in my mental management program, and I will address it immediately.

First off let me convey the disappointment that "we" are now sharing you with IDPA. It may be a selfish view point but I am not liking it.

Looking forward to seeing you next weekend even if we aren't exclusive any more.

I appreciate that Aron, but shooting IDPA will not interfere with my major match schedule. I might miss a few USPSA clubs here and there, but in the end, I am shooting two great sports :) I'm looking forward to catching up with you too next weekend bro...if you see Jake, tell him that I'm gonna slash the tires of his gold GOLF cart in retaliation of him narrowly beating me at the OH Sectional :devil:

Edited by Micah
Mie spalink iz knot gooder

Hey Micah,

In your early post you reference practicing with your blue gun at work. Im in search of something similar in design, however it may not even exist. Is there a glock training aid out there that allows for magazine changes and trigger work.. I have found the SIRT, and the red and blue LE trainers, but is there anything else? Or would my best bet just be a G34 blue gun?

Thanks,

Cal

Cal,

The plastic training gun is a good tool to train others on gun handling, and maybe practicing draws if you don't have access to your Glock...but other than that there is NO substitute to dryfiring with your competition pistol. None. Nada. I feel that buying dryfire guns or dryfire triggers is a huge waste of money that could go to bullets and powder.

Yea that would be the point of it, I may not have total access to my Glock. A blue gun may be worth it just to have for practice draws.. I absolutely agree, there is no substitute for dry firing, I love it. Sadly though its not up to me and I will have to make due..

On another note, have you decided on a plan of attack for your mental training in respect to your pre-match/warm up regime?

Thanks for all the info,

Cal

I am going back to the Lanny Bassham mental program approach and making an affirmation on the matter. In a nutshell: "The first stage is one of my best stages of the match! I have done all of the training beforehand, and once I hear "Make ready", I am more ready than ever. I feel myself grooving into the match the moment I load up, and smile knowing that I do my best on my first stage!"

I appreciate that Aron, but shooting IDPA will not interfere with my major match schedule. I might miss a few USPSA clubs here and there, but in the end, I am shooting two great sports :) I'm looking forward to catching up with you too next weekend bro...if you see Jake, tell him that I'm gonna slash the tires of his gold GOLF cart in retaliation of him narrowly beating me at the OH Sectional :devil:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph:

I come driving up to the hotel this evening in Warsaw, In after a hard day of set up and in the hotel parking lot is a dead ringer for Micah. The only red flag is that the man is carrying an infant child. Down deep I know that ain't Micah because his boys cannot swim. But I do a double take and it sure looks like him. I roll down the window to hurl some well intentioned profanity his way and decide no that is not him. And I don't want to offend another innocent bystander today. (My quota is three)

I have to ask Jake after he parks if that was Micah. It was a dead ringer. Except as Jake pointed out that this man in question had medium sized hands.

Edited by Coach