Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micah's Range Diary

Micah

Haven't missed a day in the gym or Dojo 2.0 yet during winter break. I am literally dryfiring to the point where I have to bandage my hands up and use Corn Huskers Lotion (an old trick i leaned while baling hay in my teens).

Reloads are becoming more and more smooth, and wide transitions are starting to tighten up. My SS is much heavier than my Prod gun, and early on I was having issues with overswinging my transitions.

I rearranged my target arrays to better suit the training needs of an 8 round division, and maximize each drill. Although some of my drills are 2 reload 2 and the like, the majority of them are 8 reload 8 on a variety of arrays.

The one thing I never thought I'd get used to is now completely automatic: disengaging the thumb safety on the draw.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one thing I never thought I'd get used to is now completely automatic: disengaging the thumb safety on the draw.

Of course it does the 1911 is a natural part of the human anatomy!

Your going to make me start practicing harder I guess....:sight:

Corey, I may just have to visit my old college in Lex, and shoot one of your matches in the same weekend...just to give you a taste of what you need to do to change divisions ;)

Oh I'm not changing divisions...I relish new blood!

Haven't missed a day in the gym or Dojo 2.0 yet during winter break. I am literally dryfiring to the point where I have to bandage my hands up and use Corn Huskers Lotion (an old trick i leaned while baling hay in my teens).

"He's not human. He's like a piece of iron." - Ivan Drago (Rocky IV) :roflol:

Crazy good read Jake, thank you very much for that!

My fav quotes:

The kind of iron that get sweaty with the slightest humidity and has a thin coat of dirt, rust and dust. The kind of plates that make a comforting jingle on rep 10…11…12…and so on.
I always looked to the Rocky movies for direction. In Rocky III, Rocky got his ass beat by Clubber Lange in the first fight. Rocky was training in a hotel ballroom…Clubber a basement. After he lost he moved to South Central to train “hard”, he came back and crushed Clubber. In Rocky IV, Rocky skipped the glamor and heads straight to Siberia to train in a barn in the cold and snow.

There is nothing glamorous about the way that I train. Many top competitors have their own range in year-round warm climates with unlimited reloading resources at their disposal. I merely have a basement with targets placed strategically on the walls for thousands of dryfire "rounds" to be shot at them daily.

Call me Clubber, I train in my basement....the fire in my belly will carry me through...

Corey, I may just have to visit my old college in Lex, and shoot one of your matches in the same weekend...just to give you a taste of what you need to do to change divisions ;)

Oh I'm not changing divisions...I relish new blood!

I think you can take him Corey. He's so scared of getting beat by other SS shooters he chickened out, and didn't even show up to his own clubs "Fun Shoot" last night. Sad, sad, sad.

Crazy good read Jake, thank you very much for that!

My fav quotes:

The kind of iron that get sweaty with the slightest humidity and has a thin coat of dirt, rust and dust. The kind of plates that make a comforting jingle on rep 10…11…12…and so on.
I always looked to the Rocky movies for direction. In Rocky III, Rocky got his ass beat by Clubber Lange in the first fight. Rocky was training in a hotel ballroom…Clubber a basement. After he lost he moved to South Central to train “hard”, he came back and crushed Clubber. In Rocky IV, Rocky skipped the glamor and heads straight to Siberia to train in a barn in the cold and snow.

There is nothing glamorous about the way that I train. Many top competitors have their own range in year-round warm climates with unlimited reloading resources at their disposal. I merely have a basement with targets placed strategically on the walls for thousands of dryfire "rounds" to be shot at them daily.

Call me Clubber, I train in my basement....the fire in my belly will carry me through...

Man that's a great line - I'm getting all pumped up to skip out of work early to dryfire. Thanks, brother.

Alabama

Hmmm Thinking about this one....you ready yet?

Sounds GREAT!

Man that's a great line - I'm getting all pumped up to skip out of work early to dryfire. Thanks, brother.

Glad you got inspired!

Keep up the good work Micah. Do you find that having the range diary helps keep you on track? I have a hard time staying focused after a few weeks of either exercising or practicing.

The range diary here on the forums is nice, but I keep a paper one here at home where I hash out more stuff. Above all else, setting goals is what keeps me on track more than anything else. If you have not read it yet, With Winning In Mind (link) will give you the tools needed for setting perfect goals and guiding you toward your personal finish line.

Good bye 2010. It was the best of times (lie) it was the worst of times (truth).

All hail 2011! I trust that it will usher in new adventures with my newly found 1911 platform, as well as strange, new worlds of chicks who will boldly go where they have probably gone before, but pretend that it is their first time...

But seriously...divorce is a complete mind f*#k. Leaving that familiarity, that safety, that comfort is difficult. But when it is not meant to be, it is merely not meant to be. I dare say that it takes more fortitude to say goodbye than it does to say I do.

Little of this has to do with the shooting...but I maintain that if I can survive this, I am battle ready for any mind games that could potentially come my way in the future.

You'll make it and be stronger afterward! Trust me, I too had a starter marriage. When it's not meant to be, it would have never worked.

Good luck on a successful, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Having to go through something like that and still have the fire inside you to push on and remain focused is an accomplishment in and of itself. Whether the worst of that is over for you, I can't say. But, like you recently told me, the secret to success in this game is PERSEVERANCE. I think that is true in many of life's situations. Persevere and you will find the light at the end of the dark tunnel. Be awesome.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :cheers:

Edited by alpha-charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Daily dryfire has allowed me to be comfortable with the different grip angle, weight, reloads, draws, and safeties of my single stack. What dryfire has not prepared me for is the utter joy of shooting a 1911. I find myself giggling subconsciously at how the new gun shoots while I am shooting it. I need to get past that...as it lends to a lack of focus, and a lack of aim.

Here is the video from the Mburg league match tonight:

th_01-17-2011MburgMonday.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Great steel match today in Cville...even shot it twice! I have the Mburg indoor match tomorrow...with any luck this will be the last indoor match of the season as the weather will hopefully lend itself to more outdoor activity.

Chris designed the indoor match yesterday for Miamisburg, and it was excellent. There are so many constraints when utilizing only one indoor bay to accommodate an entire match, but Chris made it work. Thanks bro :cheers:

Here is the video from said match. My dryfire continues to improve, as does my physical fitness. I will be more prepared for this season than any other to date:

th_02-20-2011MburgUSPSA.jpg