Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&w With Titegroup

Jaxshooter

I am changing from N-320 to Tite Group in my Limited gun. I am using Zero 180 gr JHPs and loading long 1.180. Approximately how may grains of Tite Group will I need to make major loading long?

Edited by Jaxshooter

My little recipe book shows my load to be 5 gr of TG with a Montana Gold 180 gr FMJ. I load to 1.16 with Federal primers and Winchester brass.

This gives me about 945 fps for a 170 or so PF in my STI with a 5" Briley barrel.

YMMV and you really need to work the load up for your gun using a chronograph.

Be Safe

dj

Took me 4.7 in a Nowlin barrel with Zero 180 JHP loaded to 1.180" with rifle primers in warm weather. Needed over 5 grains if the temperatures dropped more than about 25*.

Do be careful with it in the cold, it gets really slow. I had huge swings in velocity with it with weather changes. I really don't think it is a good powder at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I played with TG as an alternate to N320.

It appeared it just about always took .2 grains less of TG to do what N320 did

but I doubt it's that linear...

I ended up with 4.7 under a 180 @1.160"

You're really gonna have to work it up yourself --- you've already got answers ranging from 4.7 to 5; and I can get there with about 4.3 grains....

Agreed. My TG/180 JHP load w/ my gun (SV w/ KKM barrel): 169 PF. Same load, same day,chrono, conditions, etc in my friend's Para P-16 w/ stock barrel: 160 PF. Can't explain it other than:

guns vary - quite a bit.

• 3 years later...

just for S&G's I run 4.2 grn behind a 185 grn LRN out of my glock 24 @ 1.135 and I make major with it. so I would assume you need at least that with the longer OAL.

Mat

You run 4.2 Titegroup under 185LRN.

How much smoke are you getting?

lets just say its not an indoor load LOL! l&n rail road aint got nothing on me. its wayyyyy smokey. but its not bad at all outdoors. even with no breeze i never loose sight of a target. but its cheap! light! and shoots GREAT!

Mat