Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meopta Specific Questions?

dghboy315

so i've done my research and i've decided to move from my aimpoint and magnifier to the Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 - RD. it seems like the best reasonably priced variable power scope for 3gun. i have not had a chance to look thru one, but from my searches, i am hoping it is clearer and has a better field of view at x4. however, i still have a few questions.

1) is the K-Dot the only available reticle? is it the best one for 3gun?

2) how do you sight in with the reticle? for instance, do you use the top of the dot for 50 yards, the bottom for 100yrs, the top of the line for 200 yrds, etc... i use mostly georgia arms .223 55gr FMJ canned heat, although i may be switching to their heavier bullet.

3) what mount should i use for a nose to the charging handle check weld? i prefer larue mounts.

4) is benny hill the best source for this scope?

thanks for the help.

Edited by dghboy315

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sight in at 200 yd. with the center of the dot. The dot does'nt cover much. Hold dead on for everything from 35yds to 235yds. At 300 yds use the top of the small post below the dot. Remember we are shooting 10" plates at long range & the dot does'nt cover much of it.

1) K dot is not the only reticle, but it is the only daylight reticle. Yes, it is the best one to use for 3-gunning.

2) Mine is sighted for 250 yds with 55 gr. Similarly to Benny's answer, dead on with everything out to 300. At 350 laRue, put the dot on the head and at 400, I used the top of the vertical hash mark. Distance between the bottom of the dot and tip of this hash mark is about 4 moa :)

3) Armalite mount and A2 stock length. Not as sexy as the laRue mount, but works for me (and $100 less :) )

Edited by PacMan

JP mount for mine, lovely. Illumination is SUPREMELY visible in the daylight. I switched from a Leupold 1.5x5 illum to the Meopta, and pardon the pun, but the difference is night and day.

Good move, you won't regret the purchase.

I don't really "zero" my rifle. I set it up to shoot +1.5" @ 100 yards with 55 FMJBT Winchesters or +2" @ 100 yards with 69 Noslers. Or at lease as close to those figures as I can.

With the Meopta you have a reference point out to 400 yards with the above settings.

With 55's I think:

DOT as reference... 0-325 ish yards

POST as reference... 325+ yards

0-25 yards: Dot at TOP of target.

25-250 yards: Dot at CENTER of target.

275 yards: High 8 ball.

300 yards: Dot's center at the TOP OF TARGET.

(transition to top of POST as reference)

325 yards: Outside lollipop or 6 O'Clock hold.

350 yards: Inserted lollipop.

400 yards: Post at top of target.

I'm very visual so I did these graphical representations.

55_Win__1.5_inches.pdf

69_Nosler__2_inches.pdf

All above info is accurate, I zero mine like Benny and use the same holds, have the same mount as Hung (Armalite). When you first look through it you'll think we are all nuts but it does work as advertised. Very fast scope, screams on the close stuff. I also shot 6 yotes with mine. Keith

Ok I think I have to have one of these scopes. Have heard all the good stuff, and now just have to have one. I have been switching off and on between a C-more Tactical (built in rear sight) and a Weaver 1x3. Nice little scope, just ready to get bumped up. Where is the best place to buy one and how much?

Meopta USA ( the importer) has not had any of these scopes since before the Shot Show, last time we talked to them. Personal belief is that the sudden popularity over the last year caught the factory by surprise and overwhelmed their production schedule.

You might find someone who has one in stock by luck, anything is possible. Otherwise, you will have to wait until they start shipping them out again. We were told 2 weeks 5 weeks ago, so I have no idea when they will actually come back in the country.

Edited by Cactustactical

thanks for the info guys. i made the plung. i found a slightly used meopta on an spr-s larue mount on ar15.com for $825 including shipping. it's on its way. it supposed to be in perfect condition w/ only 80rnd fired thru the gun it was mounted on. hopefully, it will be as described to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a Meostar with the plain plex reticle. Non-illuminated. Very nice scope. The cross hairs are a bit fine, though, which is great for the long shots. I hope I don't lose them on the fast/close targets. I switched also from a Weaver 1-3. That's a very good scope for the money, but just a little lacking on the longer shots. If the Weaver was a 1-4 I'd probably still be using it.

(thread drift on)

Okay, I'm a tight wad. Now that we have that out of the way, I did stop by the Meopta and Leupold booths yesterday at the NRA show. The Meopta rep said that their scope is price pointed at $750. He did go on to say that they were surprised at how much demand for that one scope has shot up. I told him to thank the Brian Enos forums for that.

Then I made my way over to the Leupold area and asked about their CQT (or CQB scope?) and their rep said it price points for $550.

Do you all really think there is 200 bucks worth of difference between the Leupold and the Meopta red dots?

Plus I don't know how that Leupold attaches to an AR, if it needs a separate mount and rings or if it's good to go as is. That would save at least an additional 100 bucks vs. the Meopta right there.

(drift off)

Much grass!

Edited by Chills1994

Eric,

we are still waiting on a new shipment of the 1 - 4's. If you would like, I can have you notified when they come in. We aren't doing back orders, not real good business, IMO, to hold peoples money on an item where the delivery keeps slipping. So, when they come in, it will be first come, etc.

Spaceghost, it is fair to compare the two as you are looking for the optic that will best suit your needs of engageing targets from contact to 400 yds. Thanks to my friends I was an early adopter of the Meopta and it has served me well, also have the Eotech mounted on a short AR that goes with me in the tractor and combine for varmints. IMHO the Meopta will do anything the eotech will close in and a lot better when past 100 yd. Have never used the 3X magnifier but people I trust tell me it gives a tube effect and limites FOV. You also have the advantage of running the scope at any power between 1 and 4, which happens more than one might think. Have run mine on 2X several times for midrange targets that were spread out. If anyone gets the chance to talk with the Meopta people again impress upon them the purchasing power of the competition shooting community, and have them pony up some prize table scopes. Keith

Is the Meostar as fast in the 3-50 yd range as an EoTech?

To me the Meopta isn't as fast as a true red dot from 0-15 yards. For me there's some "distortion" at 1X that I don't find in a red dot (C-More from personal experience).

But the difference in performance at 0-15 yards is not that big a difference when you compare the difference (for me) between a non-magnified optic vs. a 1-4X at the 15-350 yard targets.

From 15+ yards on I prefer magnification. I have a much easier time in calling the shot with magnification than without.