Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Warm Up

Airic

Do you warm up for a match? Stand at the safe area and do draws and reloads? I never have...for fear some range nazi would walk up and bite my head off for doing it. (Ive seen it done before, even thought the rules allow you to do this)

You can do this in the safety area as long as you don't handle ammunition.

If you have a small safety area that can only accomodate one or two people then the MD would be within his/her rights to get you to move out of the way so others could bag or un-bag their guns.

In IPSC matches (particularly large ones) they have two types of safety area, Primary and Secondary. You can practice draws, work on your gun etc. at the primary and the secondary is just for bag/unbag... Usually the secondary is a small one-person type affair as most people just need a place to swap out their gun.

I don't know if it's a chicken or the egg senario...

Does a "Range Nazi" act that way because they don't get much help in putting on the match, or do they not get much help in putting on the match because they act that way ???

Regardless...take the high road.

Anyway...

Yes, most certainly...after the work is done...get some warm-up.

I don't know if it's a chicken or the egg senario...

Does a "Range Nazi" act that way because they don't get much help in putting on the match, or do they not get much help in putting on the match because they act that way ???

Regardless...take the high road.

Anyway...

Yes, most certainly...after the work is done...get some warm-up.

I my experience, the "range nazi" is not usually the MD or any of his staff, but those guys at the match...we all know them....the ones that are always the quickest to point out someone else doing something wrong.

The guys who are screaming for a shooter to get a procedural before the shooter is done with a stage. I have not had that experience here in Texas, but when I was shooting in AZ, at rio salado...they were everywhere.

The guys who are screaming for a shooter to get a procedural before the shooter is done with a stage. I have not had that experience here in Texas, but when I was shooting in AZ, at rio salado...they were everywhere.

Had one of them in Michigan last year ........... I could literally see him pointing & yelling at the asst. RO out of the corner of my eye *while* I was shooting the stage. :angry:

I'll practice a few draws, but no reloads as all my mags are loaded at that time.

I don't care to warm up much. My new bit of success has come from "performing" at the matches with no thought of mechanics if I can help it. I now trust in my training and show up as prepared as possible.

I'm probably backwards from a lot of folks here from what I've read. My best run in practice will be my first run. Only if I have a bad plan will I improve during later runs. I treat each stage in a match as my first stage, and it seems to help.

I'll find out for sure at the SC Sectional next month.

I like to do technical warm up in my home/hotel before I leave for the match, then I run visualization drills on way to match. I mostly shoot IDPA and wish I could get away with that on-site, but I don't chance it. But, I try to do some light PT and some stretching at the match site instead.

Will

Airic,

Those guys ?

I don't see them too often, but they are easy enough to ignore...especially with your hearing protection on. :)

If they keep giving static, have them go get the Match Director. (They can go make their errant case, while you can finish warming up. ;) )

Really, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as you aren't handling ammo (no dummy ammo either) and are pointing the gun where you are supposed to, then it's not an issue.

Do you warm up for a match?

I try, but still struggle with the realization that I must not be doing it correctly. My first stage tends to be my poorest performance at a match.

I never have...for fear some range nazi would walk up and bite my head off for doing it. (Ive seen it done before, even thought the rules allow you to do this)

I'd bite back. B)

I do like to get to the match a little early and help if possible. I find that is a good way to loosen up my muscles after a long 75 or 90 minute drive.

When I get to the safety area, I do a few draws just to get in the groove. I don't do any reloads because I don't want to see anyone get nervous.

More importantly, I try to stretch and sprint (relatively speaking) a little to get used to moving fast (again, relatively speaking.) :rolleyes:

Edited by XD Niner

Wait until you are as old as I am and warming up to shoot is getting out of bed, dressing and driving to the match and arriving on time.

That's great, didn't know that anyone else felt the same as I do!

I like to get to the range before the match staff and get in trigger time making sure I am seeing the front sight lift and return without forcing the gun around. One bay has some gas bottles @ 50 yards that I love to practice on.

I build a stage, drive some trailers around, try to find all the missing props the other stage builders need, safety check new shooters, and then I'm too tiered to warm up. But I do get warm. :P

• 3 weeks later...

New here, but I guess I gotta start posting somewhere!!!!

I don't do more than 2 or 3 draws when I unbag my gun. But I generally do try to do some stretching exercises focused on back, legs, and shoulders.

If the match is at my home club, I'll sometimes go to an unused pit and run a magazine or 2 through my gun before I sign up. Mostly just focus on sight tracking and getting a feel for things.

I guess it hasn't helped too much though, because as a general rule if I'm going to blow a stage it will be the first one :(<_<

I've recently started doing match warm up and I really like it. It helps me get in the "shooting mode."

Steve Anderson has a great match warm up that is in his new book. You can see it on the preview he has on his web site. I use his warm up

process.

I also cut some small metric targets from grocery bags and stapled them to the safety area to warm up. Here's a pic.

http://jerrythegeek.arpc-ipsc.org/gallery/7a3s/HPIM2615

You can see a print out from Steve's preview on my range bag.

It's always good to see if you can find the gun again after putting the holster back on.

I think I see most folks making sure they have the gear on right by making some draws in the safe area.

I still can't get used to playing with a magazine in the Safety Area, and some clubs/matches don't allow it. Ask before you act in this case.

As for Draws, do as many as you need to feel comfortable. But too many can get you stressed or worse, not focusing on that bump at the end of the gun. I try to take 3 or 4 to verify that my gear is in the right spot.

Taking someone to task for a safety violation is not necessarily being a "Range Nazi". A true Range Nazi will treat you badly/rudely and see infractions that aren't there. Seeing, and calling, an infraction no matter how minor is what an RO should do for everyone, fairly and respectfully.

Guys, if you don't warm up a little, you're cheating yourself.

The key is to find a balance.

The warm up referenced above has been my routine forever and works well.

It gets you used to the timer and gets your eyes and body in sync.

Would a runner not stretch before a race?

There may be some personality types who don't need to warm up, but I bet they're rare.

On mags...If the club is running a USPSA match, the rules allow empty mags in the safe area. I would politely say, "if it's a uspsa match, I'm legal."

I got scolded once by Momma Rayner before she knew me, now she hears my timer going off and knows who's over there aiming at flowers and whatnot...

Oh...I use the Burkett reload instead of a full reload. They are better, easier and mentally safer.

You do not want to blow a full reload in the safe area and then go shoot a classifier. the burkett reload gets the mechanics going without risking the mental junk of a blown reload.

SA

(btw, I changed load to reload beacuse typing blown load was making me giggle. ;))

I have thought this was one the single most neglected thing on match day that I see 95% of shooters not do. You practice, dryfire, read books, load ammo, drive 3 hrs to a match or farther. Then on match day, you grab your gun, throw it in your holster and go shoot and expect to do well. You can do just fine but how many times does it take 3 stages to get warmed up or get in a groove???

Flyin40