Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait as well. I will be in Vegas on Friday working for NASCAR so I will have to wait till early next week.

The training the actors did for the movie was absolutely SICK!!!!

They trained with Mark Twight owner of Gym Jones and his training regimens are unreal.

Edited by smokshwn

I can't wait as well. I will be in Vegas on Friday working for NASCAR so I will have to wait till early next week.

The training the actors did for the movie was absolutely SICK!!!!

They trained with Mark Twight owner of Gym Jones and his training regimens are unreal.

I'm gonna do the tire training thing....with bicycle tires :P You can bet those abs in the big screen won't be CGI

Athena,

The little bit of training on the 300 website doesn't do Mark justice. His website has a video page and just watching some of the video's gives me enough lactic acid buildup to get nauseous ;)

Edited by smokshwn

The whole visual aesthetic of the movie just gets me motivated to see it. CGI has finally reached a point where you can do things that were not possible solely on film - Sin City was like that, Sky Captain was like that, too... This movie looks like it will be better than those two in that department, though... Exciting stuff (for a photography and computer geek, anyway...)

Oh, the historical story line is epic, and (while I haven't read it) Frank Miller's adaptation is reportedly awesome, as well (I really dig Miller's work - totally redefined Batman, for me, into a character I could believe...). The eye candy is too much to resist, though.... though maybe this is more like "eye heroine"... :D

ETA - all I know is that the trailers make me want to get ripped abs and go hack up swarthy Persians with a sword... :lol: :lol:

Edited by XRe

Looks like it's gonna be a good one but don't get carried away with any historical aspects.

It makes a great visual story but Sparta had one of the most screwed up societies in human history.

True enough, Sparta was hardly a bastion of liberty, freedom and democracy in our sense of those words (just look at their horrific treatment of the Helots) but it sure beats the heck out of Persia, a slave state where EVERYONE is subject to the whims of the Great King. Spartans (and the always forgotten Thespians) were CITIZENS fighting for their freedom as opposed to the armies of subjects and slaves that they faced. The Persian Wars were of critical importance and if 300 gets people thinking about them, I'm all for it.

If not for the Greek resistance to Persian domination at places like Marathon (where I have been, a powerful place with a funeral mound containing the 192 dead Athenian soldiers who stopped Persia's 1st invasion), Thermopylae, Salamis and Plataea, our world would be a VERY different place. No voting, civil rights, civilian control of the military, right to assemble, freedom of speech, seperation of church and state, right to bear arms, free market, legal system etc. etc. We would all be living in places like Fallujah.

So go get em, Leonidas. Molon labe.

I must be the lone soul here that isn't eagerly awaiting this movie. I was rather hoping that Michael Mann's adaptation of Steven Pressfield's book "Gates of Fire" would have been the one to get to screen first.

The battle of Thermopylae is such a great story in and of itself that I worry that Miller's fixation with gore, and the overuse of CGI generated effects will ruin an otherwise great story.