Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that have seen Sin City and 300, which do you think was better movie?

I think Sin City was a better movie.

300 is a hard story to tell.

500 years before the Bible...everybody has been copying them for centuries. The story can't be fresh and have twists. The one-liners. Arnold didn't make them famous...the Spartan's did. (they named the style after them).

It's a great documentary. ;):)

One for Athena ---> DaybyDay

His abs should have top billing.... :P

As for Sin City, I loved that movie too (and yes, I hit the gym for about two days thinking I wanted to have Jessica Alba's abs. Didn't happen). It was a different genre, I guess. I have not read either graphic novel but the movies were pure entertainment. I'm always eager to see what new stuff they have CGI-wise. Of course there is no substitute for a good story like The Departed and Pan's Labyrinth (which I can't stop raving about and which I can't believe I haven't started a thread on) but hey, we go to movies just to switch the brain off and be entertained, well, at least, that's what I do.

This movie kicked Troy and Alexander's butt. I think it's up there with Gladiator. What do you guys think?

P.S. Watch Pan's Labyrinth. But don't bring the kids!

Edited by Athena

http://www.gymjones.com/

As far as abs go, I have started some of these training regimens. I have a tire similar to the one they used in the Spartan training, and most of the other equipment at my work center's gym. It is a very intense workout, and not boring. Most of the time I fine exercise boring but not this. Seeing what I will get out of it from the movie makes me want to do it more and more.

+1 on Pan's Labyrinth, a great movie. got robbed at the Oscars.

I like 300 better than Sin City, mainly due to the subject matter. Sin City repeats itself in every story: Damsel(s) in distress, tortured hero saves and/or avenges her (them).

oracle.bmpSaw it last night.

I had great anticipation, waiting to see it.

I know the history well and the movie lacks a great deal of accuracy, but it's a MOVIE.

Not a documentary and it never claimed to be Historically accurate.

It's entertainment! and pretty darn good entertainment.

To all of those who'd slice it up and talk about its historical issues or demonized Persians. Get your own multi-million dollar movie deal together and make your own movie.

short of that. Lay down some cash and go see it or don't.

I Liked the movie, want to see it again in IMAX.

Think I want one of those spears too.

P.S. Anyone know where I can get one of those Oracles?

That was a great-looking movie. Anybody looking for a documentary is going to be disappointed. Hopefully Gates of Fire will lean more toward story and history than style.

BEGIN SPOILERS...

WTF? Monstrous mystics and Persian Immortals?! Giant attack rhino?! Giant elephants?! Giant Persian berserker?! Giant Xerxes?! WTF? I thought I was watching The Two Towers or Return of the King.

The sex scene montage reminded me of Team America's.

They seemed to be a little unclear on who the Persians were. It seems they thought they were Moors. At least they did mention the armies of Persia and its conquered nations.

BEGIN SPOILERS...

WTF? Monstrous mystics and Persian Immortals?! Giant attack rhino?! Giant elephants?! Giant Persian berserker?! Giant Xerxes?! WTF? I thought I was watching The Two Towers or Return of the King.

SPOILER ......

It was the one-eyed guy/narrator exaggerating to the troops to boost their morale.... ;)

300 is the best movie I've seen in a long time. As far as toughness it was Braveheart, Gladiator, and Tombstone all rolled in to one and then fed a dose of 'roids and cocaine. It wasn't necessarily a better movie than any of those but it was as tough as any movie I can remember, IMHO.

I saw it last night, good but could've used help in the pace / tension building department.

That being said, I've read some reviews that saw it as anti-Bush and war, and I don't see how with lines about the cost of freedom and that lib senator taking bribes to keep the troops home.....

Good flick, but no car chase?

It was the one-eyed guy/narrator exaggerating to the troops to boost their morale.... ;)

And also, this was the first time these men had seen the Persian armies, and its reasonable to believe that they looked awful odd and strange, and exagerrated to the Spartans.

Of course, this was an adaptation of a Frank Miller comic book, too, which just amplifies that idea to make it more graphic...

I am trying to figure out why Xerces or whatever his name was looking like a giant drag queen.

I understand the idea was to show/simulate how "wild & weird" the Persian dressed (from the Greek's perspective). In actuality, I think they wore pants. :blink:

2,500 years later...we don't think of pants as being too wild. So, I guess that is why they went Rupaul.

I am trying to figure out why Xerces or whatever his name was looking like a giant drag queen.

If you were that powerful and that rich, you could look like whatever you wanted as well. Besides that's the way Frank Miller drew the comic book.

I saw it today.Pretty good flick,not as good as Braveheart but pretty good.Now we need a good Viking flick.I know Pathfinder is coming out soon but the plot looks lame.Also Athena +2 on Pan's Labyrnth.And where can I get one of those red head oracle chicks? :wub:

Edited by et45