Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need One Powder.

morebullets

I need one powder to load 9mm and 40 S&W. Jacketed bullets, 115 gr. to 124 in the 9mm and 165 to 180 in the 40. I am going to try Titegroup. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

You have found the one! Major 40 with 180 for me is around 4.6/7 depending on oal. You can't do major 9 but the 124's are sweet at around 140 pf. old john

Edited by old john

I think one powder is selling yourself short, but.......

If both are Minor loads I would use Clays in both no matter what was on the shelf.

If 9mm is minor and 40 is Major you can use TG, Power Pistol, Super Field, 320, Universal, Unique, and probably 10 others. TG is the LAST one I would pick, temp sensitivity and inconsistency make it really hard for me to get along with.

If both are loaded major Power Pistol, Silhouette, HS-6, 3n-37, Longshot, and a couple others will fit the bill. Of the ones listed so far I like Power Pistol and Longshot best.

What are you loading each to in terms of velocity / pf ? It makes a big difference,

Minor pf in the 9mm & major in the 40 ? VV N320 would be my choice.

Minor in both ? VVN320 or Clays.The VV meters better for some. Both are clean.

I have used titegroup. It's OK.

You only need to post this in one place. The 10mm/40 board is enough and you're getting a lot of info over there.

Rich

Thanks for your concern, but.............

I posted this in both places(9 and 40) because some people don't shoot both calibers. I have never looked in any of the other caliber postings, because I'm not loading any of those yet. I wanted opinions from 9mm and 40S&W shooters. The answers I am getting are completely different in both threads.

You only need to post this in one place. The 10mm/40 board is enough and you're getting a lot of info over there.

Rich

Thanks for your concern, but.............

I posted this in both places(9 and 40) because some people don't shoot both calibers. I have never looked in any of the other caliber postings, because I'm not loading any of those yet. I wanted opinions from 9mm and 40S&W shooters. The answers I am getting are completely different in both threads.

MB,

Welcome to the forum! I think Rich's point is that most members hit "view new posts" when they first log in. A single post will be seen!

9 & .40? N320 or if you like cleaning guns, TG. I never felt the need to try anything else.

Later,

Chuck

TG is the LAST one I would pick, temp sensitivity and inconsistency make it really hard for me to get along with.

HSMITH,

I was always under the impression that TG was one of the few powders that was not temp sensitive... Am I out to lunch on this?

Thanks,

Okie

• 2 weeks later...

This got me thinking about the balance between fast burn and pressure/velocity and accuracy. I have taken several weeks to research on the net and in books galore.

Years ago (20) I had settled on Unique as an answer to a lot of this -- but had a lot of time for cleaning weapons afer firing. I have been looking into the new Unique as a solution and finally looking at the stats came uo with Green Dot. I will be testing it in .45 ACP and 9mm over the next few weeks as soon as I can find someone kind enough to loan me a chrony locally........

This got me thinking about the balance between fast burn and pressure/velocity and accuracy. I have taken several weeks to research on the net and in books galore.

Years ago (20) I had settled on Unique as an answer to a lot of this -- but had a lot of time for cleaning weapons afer firing. I have been looking into the new Unique as a solution and finally looking at the stats came uo with Green Dot. I will be testing it in .45 ACP and 9mm over the next few weeks as soon as I can find someone kind enough to loan me a chrony locally........

Unique has been around for 100 years (literally). Tried it once. Filthy smelly stuff & lots of smoke. Used to use green dot - nearly as filthy & it kicked really hard.

Better choice for 9 & 40 would be N320. If its too much $$, try Solo 1000 (it is also single base and of comparable speed).

• 2 months later...

I used to use w231, but have recently switched to WSF for 9mm and 40SW. I use a little more powder compared to w231, but ES is better and less dirty on my press and gun. I also use WSF for 45acp. Nice to have one powder and just change shellplates and dies.

I used to use w231, but have recently switched to WSF for 9mm and 40SW. I use a little more powder compared to w231, but ES is better and less dirty on my press and gun. I also use WSF for 45acp. Nice to have one powder and just change shellplates and dies.

+1 I use wsf for 9 and 40, which is the bulk of my reloading, makes things simple.

Your kidding right ? a 2-3 fps difference is being labeled temperature sensitive ? You would need ammo of zero standard deviation to even test that Anything around 10 fps standard deviation is considered a pretty consistent load. The only shortcoming I have found with tightgroup is it's low volume to grain. which can cause actual consistency problems. As long as you stay 140 + powerfactor it works well in .40. If you throw .45 in the one powder mix I would assume you need to find a powder with more bulk.

• 4 months later...
Your kidding right ? a 2-3 fps difference is being labeled temperature sensitive ? You would need ammo of zero standard deviation to even test that Anything around 10 fps standard deviation is considered a pretty consistent load. The only shortcoming I have found with tightgroup is it's low volume to grain. which can cause actual consistency problems. As long as you stay 140 + powerfactor it works well in .40. If you throw .45 in the one powder mix I would assume you need to find a powder with more bulk.

I live in Phoenix and am on my 3rd 8lb load of titegroup - believe me it is temperature sensitive when the high temp is 100Plus in the shade. The same load that gives me 920 fps- 151 Ranier RN 38 super at 105-110 puts me in the 870's when the temp drops down to the livable 60's plus or minus.