Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Best Ssp Pistol.

Aircooled6racer

Hello; I am looking for the best stock service pistol for IDPA. I am a 1911/2011 shooter so the Glock will not work for me. I have heard the Sig,CZ and Para are good but don't know which models to look for. I currently shoot 40S&W and would like to shoot that in SSP as well. Please let me know what pistols you guys like and the model as well. I appreciate all your help. Thanks Eric

Tac-Forty

The Newest LDA, the Tac-Forty, makes you a champion everyday. With 15 rounds of .40 caliber firepower in a duty sized pistol, this pistol is made for you - especially if you serve and protect the common good. This pistol gives you the security of a hammer-down carry for a lightning fast first shot, and the famous 1911 grip lets you hit where you point.

Specifications:

Product Code Caliber Rounds Barrel Weight Length Height Hammer Sights Receiver Finish

CTX1540S .40S&W 15*+1 4.25" 36 oz. 7.7" 5.25" Spurless 3-Dot Stainless Stainless

http://www.para-lda.com/ldaCarryHiCap.html

go to the above link and look at the para... :) ..

my favorite would be a CZ75 .40.

I have the 9mm version that I shoot in SSP.

the grip is not big..easy to get a good grip on and gun points well..low bore axis for good recoill management.

CZ are good value too..lot of gun for little outlay..

for action work..get a hold of Matt Mink..he does great action work and can get you all you need for an IDPA setup.

Hello: Thanks for the great info, keep it coming. JoeD I'm just getting good at shooting the 1911 and I'm not old enough yet to enjoy a Glock. Just kidding on that ;-). I am just trying to shoot one caliber for everything and it will be 40. Thanks Eric

I am a 1911/2011 shooter so the Glock will not work for me. I have heard the Sig,CZ and Para are good but don't know which models to look for.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about being a 1911 shooter that you think makes the Glock not for you? The other guns you mention are at least as different from a 1911 as a Glock, and actually much more different in their trigger pulls.

Hello: I have shot a couple of Glocks and I don't like the grip angle or trigger. Don't get me wrong I think they are great pistols. I also don't like the looks of them either. I'm looking for something similar to a 1911/2011 in feel. I know the trigger pull will not be close to a 1911 but I had a Ruger P95 I used for IDPA for a while so I know the double action/single action difference. I'm just trying to see what is out there and what people like to shoot in SSP. Keep the info coming. Thanks Eric

I use a full size HK USP .40 in SSP. It runs flawlessly. I had the match trigger put in and it has made the DA first pull a little smoother.

It is not a 1911, however it can be carried cocked and locked. You can use it in either SSP or ESP if you want to go C&L.

I think your only option is the LDA if you want to compete in SSP. If you are dedicated to 1911 style why wouldn't you use one in CDP? Just curious.

Okay, I'll be the first to say it.

Beretta, either in the 9mm (92FS) version or the .40 (96FS) model.

They even made several Elite models meant to be more gamey for IDPA and USPSA/IPSC production.

Yeah, before you laugh, check out these vids. Ben seems to do alright with the Beretta platform:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...p;q=ben+stoeger

Did I mention that the Beretta is a TRUE double action pistol, too?

Yeah, he shoots it pretty good. Too bad, that last stage shown wasn't a legal IDPA stage or he didn't shoot it according to the rules...

I'm getting a Tac-5 to shoot SSP. I've got a couple Glocks and shoot them pretty good, but I like the idea of not having to relearn grip angles when switching back and forth between guns.

Aircooled,

In case you haven't already guessed there is no 1 best SSP pistol. Everyone has the one they like best. That being said, pick one you like, that you shoot well, and goes bang every time and you will have your best SSP pistol.

Aircooled,

In case you haven't already guessed there is no 1 best SSP pistol. Everyone has the one they like best. That being said, pick one you like, that you shoot well, and goes bang every time and you will have your best SSP pistol.

+1

The neat thing about SSP is that you can be competitive with any good quality gun that meets the guidelines. My pick is the Beretta, but my CZ-75B also works well. Glocks, SIGs, S&Ws, find one you like and practice. The guns will do if you will do.

Yeah, he shoots it pretty good. Too bad, that last stage shown wasn't a legal IDPA stage or he didn't shoot it according to the rules...

I am the shooter in the video.

I am pretty sure that the stage in question at the WI State IDPA match was not legal.

As far as picking a gun, I would like to point out one more thing. When you buy a gun, you need to consider more than just the gun. You need mag pouches, a holster, replacement parts.. etc. You really should have a plan for where you are going to get all the things you need to run that platform before you buy it. You may get a gun that you really like, but be unable to easily aquire a holster that works well for you or not be able to get parts.

I hope that helps!

Later,

Ben

Well said Ben. I've passed on a couple of cool guns I wanted because I stopped and thought: OK, new gun, holster, new mags etc. I try to stay with two platforms: CZ for ESP, SSP and now 1911 for CDP. I see what all the 1911 guys have been saying all along about the 1911. Points well, stable in the hand, great trigger, short reset, accurate and durable. A gun designed to win fights does well in competition.

Hello: I am looking at the Para with the LDA trigger. It is built the same as the other 1911's I have and the other accessories will work for it as well. Now I have to decide double stack or single stack and what caliber. If I choose 45 I can shoot it in SSP,ESP and CDP correct? If I choose 40 then only SSP and ESP. Thanks Eric

Just curious as to what was illegal about the stage.

Reload in the open, shooting in the open (no cover) or leaving coer without engaging all available targets. I assume the stage dicription told you to do these things but I am not clear on if they were all legal at a major match. It does look like a fun stage though.

I thought the reload in the open might be the issue. I am not so sure that is illegal though. In Appendix 5 of the rule book it states, "Reloads must be accomplished from cover if available". Key words "if available". One certainly cannot leave cover with an empty gun. However if one runs out of bullets while in the open I see nothing wrong with reloading. IDPA is supposed to be about real world. If I am in the open during a fight and run out of ammo you can bet your fanny I am going to reload as fast as I can.

I view stages like the one in question as you are leaving cover when the bad guys appear. One would not leave cover if there are BGs visible. You would just shoot them from cover.

IDPA needs to address this issue. They either need to remove the verbiage in Appendix 5 or allow reloads in the open without issue.

Nothing wrong with not allowing one to leave cover with an empty gun.

Eric, that is correct. You can shoot all three Divisions with a .45 LDA - gamer. A real man would never(gamer)down load a .45ACP though. There is something sissy(gamer)about shooting a 45 at a 130 PF. Do you think John Wayne or Bruce Willis would down load a .45? Beware of subliminal(gamer)messages.

I thought the reload in the open might be the issue. I am not so sure that is illegal though. In Appendix 5 of the rule book it states, "Reloads must be accomplished from cover if available". Key words "if available". One certainly cannot leave cover with an empty gun. However if one runs out of bullets while in the open I see nothing wrong with reloading. IDPA is supposed to be about real world. If I am in the open during a fight and run out of ammo you can bet your fanny I am going to reload as fast as I can.

I view stages like the one in question as you are leaving cover when the bad guys appear. One would not leave cover if there are BGs visible. You would just shoot them from cover.

IDPA needs to address this issue. They either need to remove the verbiage in Appendix 5 or allow reloads in the open without issue.

Nothing wrong with not allowing one to leave cover with an empty gun.

Eric, that is correct. You can shoot all three Divisions with a .45 LDA - gamer. A real man would never(gamer)down load a .45ACP though. There is something sissy(gamer)about shooting a 45 at a 130 PF. Do you think John Wayne or Bruce Willis would down load a .45? Beware of subliminal(gamer)messages.

I think those guys were shooting blanks.