Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honor And Integrity In The Shooting Sports

Genghis

Everyone has heard or witnessed examples of honor, integrity, and honesty in the shooting sports. Golfers often have to pay a price and do the honorable thing, but I think we put golfers to shame. There are numerous examples in the forum, but I think they are scattered. Let's post 'em here!

A few years ago at Nationals, Travis hears that another competitor's basepads guaged too long. Realizing he has the same pads, he voluntarily offers up his mags for inspection....they were too long also.

I've seen a few... The two that pop to the top of the stack are:

Manny Bragg at last years DoubleTap, pointing out a no-shoot hit that the ROs had missed on the infamous Hell-A-Port stage (easy to miss seeing the hit where he had it...). Manny spent all day pointing out his errant shots and making sure they were on the score sheet.....

Todd Jarrett at the '99 (I think?) A6 match, in the shoot off finals, the other guy's gun jams. Todd was up 3-0 or 3-1, something like that. He insisted that they reshoot that run, so that they other guy could shoot w/o the malfunction.

Somebody posted a story about a guy who noticed a scoring error to his favor. He asked the RO and MD to correct the score, and both refused since he'd already signed the scoresheet. He paid a $100 arbitration fee to try to remove unearned points from his own scoresheet.

I think there are similar stories on the local level, in addition to those involving the big shots.

First 3-gun competition I ever attended was at the 2005 DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge.

At the awards ceremony a gentleman spoke about a fellow shooter that was in the process of selling all of his equipment to help pay major medical bills. All the shooters in the group gave to the hat and came up with a pretty good amount. I don't remember the exact total. I thought this was amazing.

Later found that Brownell's (one of the shoot sponsors) matched this amount in an anonymous donation.

Just another good example of the nature of the majority of shooters and sponsors.

2004 East Coast Pin & Steel Challenge, got to DQ myself for a dropped gun while everyone else on my squad tried to tell me I was not DQ'd. They all argued "that's not a DQ, and you built the match, your going to shoot it". Some of these guys have been shooting Steel Challenge since it started, and none were aware that a dropped gun at any time is a DQ. After finishing the second stage, I was kneeling next to my range bag reloading my mags when the gun fell out of my holster. None of the others saw it happen and I had to call an RO to pick it up for me. Packed my gear and worked the rest of the match as RO.

Larry

Ted Puente at the Wiit. Hit a no shoot and the RO missed it. Wouldn't add the hit to his scoresheet as it had already been signed. So he center punched a no-shoot on his last stage to make up for it. (Yes he said he was going to before hand.)

Hey Matt, I don't know the whole story, but didn't Bob Vogel fight to get a no-shoot ADDED to one of his stages at Nationals last year ???

I think he would have been 3rd over-all (beating out Dave Sevigny) but after adding the penalty he was 4th. Talk about integrity!

Bob's a really stand-up guy. :)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I have seen great displays of sportsmanship from entry-level shooters and from national level professional ones. They should all be commended

Amen to that. I've had my moments of less than sportsman-like behavior. Every once in a while we all just need to suck it up and do what's right.

Rich

I have only been shooting USPSA for a year. I have been so impressed with the people involved! In my line of work you can imagine how nice it feels to know that there are still a lot of good people left in the world.

Not unique, I am sure.

Packed up my gear to go to a match, pistol, holster, mag pouches, mags, ammo. Got there early, helped set up the match, went over to gear up and realized that sure enough, I had a few pieces from several gear sets, but not enough of anything to shoot the match, wrong mags, ammo and gun. I was about to leave when my squad mates steeped up.

I shot with a mix of mags, holster, borrowed gun and ammo. Not one pieces was mine. I admit I didn't shoot as well as I might with equipment I was used to, but I shot.

I contrast that to not having a stapler at a club bullseye match and being made to feel as if I were a complete fool.

I'll take USPSA/3-gun guys as buddies anyday.

Jim

I never have felt like I had to lock my truck that contains a back up gun and a carry gun. I always felt that if I need to worry about fellow shooters stealing from me then I should find a different hobby and better class of people to be around. I have always found shooters to be the most honest and ethical group of individuals I have delt with. It is a nice contrast to the dregs of society I deal with at work.

I never have felt like I had to lock my truck that contains a back up gun and a carry gun. I always felt that if I need to worry about fellow shooters stealing from me then I should find a different hobby and better class of people to be around. I have always found shooters to be the most honest and ethical group of individuals I have delt with. It is a nice contrast to the dregs of society I deal with at work.

AMEN!

If only we could make the legislature understand this.... they think we are one step from robbing a bank.

rvb

I have seen it both ways, when my gun quit on me at a match, I had a squad mate lend me his back up gun, but I had just met him 15 minute earlier.

I leave my range bag and gear laying around during trear down and bathroom breaks like it's no big deal.

On the other hand, someone took my copy of the rule book from my range bag. (if you care that much about rules, why not ask before you take a rule book?)

Life is funny sometimes.

George

Ted Puente at the Wiit. Hit a no shoot and the RO missed it. Wouldn't add the hit to his scoresheet as it had already been signed. So he center punched a no-shoot on his last stage to make up for it. (Yes he said he was going to before hand.)

That really showed class. However, that Manny Bragg trying to sucker me into a bet for $20 that Ted would hit a no-shoot on that stage as he stepped to line was pretty slick...I didn't take the bet, as Manny is known for being "sly" like that... :lol: Almost got me though!!! He probably was gonna split it with Ted.

Edited by Barrettone

Hey Matt, I don't know the whole story, but didn't Bob Vogel fight to get a no-shoot ADDED to one of his stages at Nationals last year ???

I think he would have been 3rd over-all (beating out Dave Sevigny) but after adding the penalty he was 4th. Talk about integrity!

Bob's a really stand-up guy. :)

Bob had Dave beat but after seeing an error in the scoring he went to the scores shack and told them the mistake. It moved him from 3rd to 4th at the 2006 Production Nationals

Flyin40

2005, I flew down to the NC for the NC Sectional. US Air lost my equipment. Two very nice people (I think it was Paul and his buddy) lent me their equipment along with all the ammunition needed to shoot the match. I was willing to pay for the ammo and such but they weren't letting me do any such thing. I still owe them dinner. US Air finally got my equipment to me as I was checking in to fly home. <_<

Edited by racerba

• 2 weeks later...

I normally tell folks if you leave something behind or lose something most USPSA folks will hunt you down to give it back to you. I never thought about locking my vehicle much and often left the keys in the vehicle while shooting.

I always had good luck with USPSA folks to the extent I had to tell my girlfriend to lighten up on folks as none would ever give her any reason to be cnncerned about anything.

She found I was right... and befriended several folks.

Then one day at a range where a USPSA match was going on some non-USPSA folks were loitering about our cars. An IMM SV gun was stolen from a car and in TX the theft of a firearm is a felony regardless. The owner put up a reward as we began to look for a suspect. Finally a guy came forward with the gun a week later or so. I was ready to put him in jail but the owner gave him the $100 reward and thanked him for "finding" his gun...

that was the end of it!