Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honor And Integrity In The Shooting Sports

Genghis

I like the fact that I can tote my stuff to the next stage and leave it unattended while I go scout the vendors' tables--without ever even having to think about something going missing.

That is a big thing in my book too. Shooters are some honest people!!!

I left my range bag for an hour sitting on my chair yesterday at the Florida Open, wallet and about 10 limited mags in the bag. NEVER had a worry!!!

During the early days of the Texas Open match I did the scoring so I was usually the last one off the range at the end of the first day. Not once, but twice, I found shooters bags left behind. Open gun, or two, holsters, mags etc.

Most places people would be VERY careful about where they put 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of equipment, but at matches people just don't have to worry about things disappearing.

One other time I came into the stat shack one month after the match and found $1,000 in cash in an envelope still laying on a table. The match organizers were very relieved - couldn't figure out where all the money had gone! :lol:

Scott Reese zeroed a stage at the 2006 Space City Challenge. Scoring was complete but a time had not been put on his score sheet. Automatic reshoot for a scoring error right? It was pointed out to Scott that the time had not been recorded, he approached the RO's and stated if his time was still on the clock they needed to record it, if not he would have to reshoot the stage. He could have easily waited for the buzzer to go off again and take his reshoot but he stepped up. I was assisting on the stage and partly responsible for the mistake. Scott exclaimed if he would have gone on to win anything he would not feel good about it. Talk about a stand up guy. One of the most sportsmanlike things I have ever seen.

Scott Reese zeroed a stage at the 2006 Space City Challenge. Scoring was complete but a time had not been put on his score sheet. Automatic reshoot for a scoring error right? It was pointed out to Scott that the time had not been recorded, he approached the RO's and stated if his time was still on the clock they needed to record it, if not he would have to reshoot the stage. He could have easily waited for the buzzer to go off again and take his reshoot but he stepped up. I was assisting on the stage and partly responsible for the mistake. Scott exclaimed if he would have gone on to win anything he would not feel good about it. Talk about a stand up guy. One of the most sportsmanlike things I have ever seen.

It's not surprizing that alot of folks don't care to win if they can't do righteously.

There are still some that don't but Scott is not alone, I wish I could say that about the folks I work with.

I'm sometimes amazed when people look at me weird when I point out my own no shoots or other foibles. I'm a new shooter and am really interested in every point I earn. But I could care less about getting credit for points I don't earn.

It's a gentleman's sport much the same way golf is supposed to be. You are ultimately competing against yourself, and to cheat is to cheat yourself. This has been an enjoyable thread to read for that reason alone.

Kevin

TY56598

Section 6

Chamblee, GA

Area match out here on the West Coast.

An average joe shooter sees a NS hit the RO missed and points it out.

RO:"Why thank you, but you already signed your card, I didn't see you shoot it, and I didn't score it"

Shooter:"Thank you, but I did shoot it and I do see it..."

RO:"I'd like to shake your hand..."

Happens all the time (well, maybe not every time, but close enough).

I just got an email from a gentleman who shot my steel match last weekend. I was not there and other club members ran the match. Our hero wrote to let me know he had underpaid for the match, paying for one round when he had shot two. It's just plain nice to hang out with honest folks. Thanks Steve! :)