Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preventing Knee And Shoulder Problems

JD45

There seems to be quite a few shooters with knee and shoulder problems around here. I hope everyone heals up and gets rid of their pain.

But I have to ask, could anyone give any tips to those of us who don't have joint pain yet, but would sure as hell like to prevent it?

I was considering starting running for cardio, but I'm not so sure now.

Keep your knees warm when you exercise.

Keep your weight down. Your knees experience something like 6X your normal body weight going down the stairs. Reducing your body weight 10 to 15% can make a huge difference.

Keeping your weight down is really crucial if you decide to run as a form of fitness. There's a general rule of thumb that I've heard that people much over 180 and/or over 6' just shouldn't put in a lot of road miles. I'm fairly inclined to believe that there's a threshold in there based on my injury history.

If you run, just pay the man and keep yourself in new shoes. Old shoes really contribute to injuries because of the lack of cushioning.

Get a bike you like and ride the hell out of it. What biking has done to improve my knees is nothing short of miraculous.

Buy your shoes at a true, local running store that is run by athletes. They will fit you in shoes that will fit your anatomy and running style. I've found that the good stores will also play let's make a deal on large sales. I had one place that would knock 20% off without batting an eye if I bought two to three pairs of shoes. Depending on your body weight and mileage, expect to burn through a pair of shoes every 30 to 90 days. If I remember the place I bought from in PDX, OR, I'll post it. I'll probably end up mail ordering shoes from there because the store here sucks.

If you run on a treadmill, some are radically better than others. The good ones now have elastomer/spring cushioning on the running platform and make a HUGE difference in the impact level your legs experience. The presence/lack thereof would make or break a gym choice for me.

I'm not going to tell you not to run. I've lost nearly 30 lbs now. I'm hoping to dump 20 to 30 more before I'm done. Why? Because I want to run again. I miss it. It's good, meditative you time. Use good sense and give yourself training breaks and you shouldn't destroy your knees.

Edited by EricW

I bought my wife an elliptical machine and it kicks my a$$ and is great for knee relief.

You'll have to pay the piper for a good one but the knees will thank you later.

If you are really into running then you can find an alternative until you drop some lbs, and the resume later. I have had to that several times :blink:

Eric isn't kidding. Not about the weight or the need for good shoes. I am 5'8" and about 190 lbs, almost 34 years old. I have a good sized middle, but it isn't bigger than my chest by any means. Most people that see me don't think I am overweight at all or if so don't think I am much overweight. I actually BROKE my leg running on a treadmill to 'get in shape'. I broke my tibea running. My body weight is more than my bone structure will take. My knees are a mess, I have been above my 'optimum weight' since I was in 7th grade. Some people carry a lot more mass than their bone structure will support. My dad is another prime example with most of the same problems I have now.

Cycling or swimming is my only outlet, and if I didn't know that who knows what my physical condition might be.

Be smart about getting in shape and getting to your optimal weight, see your doctor if you have any doubts. Better safe than sorry.

Pace Setter Athletic

The Pace Setter that I used to go to in Lake Oswego appears to be no more, or has moved to Wilsonville. However, if you're in the PDX area in your travels, there really is no better place to go and get fitted for shoes. The guys that work in the stores literally wear out multiple pairs of shoes a month, so they know their stuff.

The routine in the 'Super Joints' vid from dragondoor productions helps relieve my shoulder pain & improves mobility in all joints. My vote is for a Nordic Track ski machine for cardio.; quit running years ago due to knee pain. BTW, I'm 62. NEVER stop exercising!!

If you get a bike try to get one from a local bike shop. Their prices might be a little above the national chains but their service is much better. The biggest consideration when you get a bike is how it fits. Take the time to get it fitted at the shop. Most of the little shops will work with you if you need to swap out components to fit your anatomy. If your bike is setup right you should have no knee issues, if it is wrong you will.

Also, if you decide to swim, consider taking classes even if you already know how to swim. I did the Total Immersion system a few years back. It's not a religion, so feel free to pick and choose what you like from it, but the stroke techniques they teach really are more efficient....except for maybe the over-rotation.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000978.php

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

And don't forget The Fins!

Pony up for the fins. They're supposed to make you go anerobic and wear you out. All they did was make me swim faster than everyone else. ;) (They also really help to work your abs out.)

If you wear cleats when shooting, DO NOT plant your feet firmly and then twist to take off in a lateral direction. Your minuscus will get turned into ground pulp. They can't replace it or repair it. They can only remove parts of it after they are permanently torn.

There seems to be quite a few shooters with knee and shoulder problems around here. I hope everyone heals up and gets rid of their pain.

But I have to ask, could anyone give any tips to those of us who don't have joint pain yet, but would sure as hell like to prevent it?

Cardio is the main part of my workout routine right now, along with a bit of weightlifting.

I do 30 minutes of yoga-esque streching before jogging...every time. You are going to pull something, or at the very least have a difficult time doing cardio with your legs cramping up. Alot can be said about eliptical machines and their reduced wear on your ankles/feet as well.

I ve known two doctors with brokeen shoulders falling off treadmills, two coworkers run over and killed on bikes by cement trucks several with bad knees and ankles from running on concrete, dozens from cardiac and strokes not doing anythink but sitting in front of conputers or TV. No injuries from ellipicals and nordic tracks

Edited by NoTenX

Taking up tactical handgun shooting highlighted EVERY weakness in my shoulders & elbows. Thanks to the world's best physical therapist for instructing me in the RIGHT way to rehab them so they're stronger, more stable, and more able to tolerate the stress (I won't say 'abuse') that range & practice time inflict upon them.

Daily home PT with Thera-Bands and 3-5-10# weights is an absolute necessity to maintain the strength and stability

As far as cardio training, I gave up running years ago -- messed up the knees. Swimming is great when you can get to the pool, but you have to SWIM, get the muscles moving, breathe hard by the time you're done, not splash around. Bike on a stationary stand works well, as others have mentioned.

In good weather, I race-walk -- that bizarre-looking stride with the elbows and hips (seemingly) flailing. Get out there and find a stride that feels comfy, and that you can sustain until your heart & respiratory rate are up somewhat. Doesn't matter what it looks like, it's actually easy on the ankles-knees-hips-pelvis-lumbar spine (see *comfy*, above), it provides meditation time, and it's an effective and non-punishing workout for those of us who are (ahem) 40-something and beyond.

+1 to Eric re: weight maintenance.

As the 'secret' to shooting is 'just shoot', the 'secret' to conditioning without self-inflicting orthopaedic injury is 'just move'.

• 2 weeks later...

At age 36 I'm an arthritic mess. After 20 minutes of dry firing I have to ice my right elbow.

A leg workout makes me sore for a week. I love the eliptical rider but even it can make my hips hurt if I don't work in some easy bike days.

Don't run, don't do high risk excersises such as the bench press if there is even a hint of shoulder trouble, don't go to rep failure and never do stuff like forced reps, and change your workout constantly. Don't quit, find a way

Edited by John Thompson

Perfect timing having just gone through a full cram session on sports injuries from the senior medical officer for the 10th Mountain Aviation Brigade and Westpoint's flight surgeon.

Basically, I'll give the advice he gave, some of my own and advice that I give to my soldiers, senior NCO's and my pilots.

About 65-70% of the workouts we're doing in country is cardio. The big reason is due to the severe altitude change that we've faced, but mostly 'cause I'm not really too concerned about adding any more muscle. I'm trying to get pretty lean and add strength more than size (which IS a problem for me. I gain muscle size too rapidly).

For everyone, stretching is huge. Not just for workout days either. For PT days with my soldiers, I do a minimum of 20 minutes of stretching. Ideally, we are not just warm but have a little sweat going just from effective stretching. From there, we'll THEN do PT for about another 30-45 minutes with a 10-15 minute cool down session.

On my days off (i.e. no exercise), I wake up and still make a point to stretch for a good 15-20 minutes. The same before bed. The basic principle is to just get the blood flowing. I feel great doing it, and I'm sure y'all can reap the same rewards.

Okay, for the folks that are arthritic and/or have joint pain. Look into some good basic over the counter supplements. Glucosomine and Chondroidin are your friends. There are tons of articles showing their benefits. For immediate pain, good ol' Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) works great. Naproxen (Aleve) works very well too. I have the occasional left knee pain from 2 knee surgeries and jumping. I get a little lower back flare up from time to time and thankfully a little Motrin and Flexeril cocktail knocks it out almost in a day. This year I developed some severe soreness/joint mobility issues on my left shoulder from doing some grappling. G&C (above) fixed that pretty well.

In the end, a good well rounded, healthy diet, 30-40 minutes of exercise 4-5 times per week, aggressive stretching and a little patience to let things heal will go a long way. We're not getting any younger, so let's do what we can to fight off time.

Rich

ETA: If I'm not running (which I hate) you'll find me on either the elliptical or stationary bike. That's it. No treadmill running. Running on the road to me is much safer and while there's arguably more impact, the ability to have scenary, the safety and fresh air make up for it.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Thanks, USC. Great info.

I wish you could tell some of us how to gain muscle so quickly it becomes a problem. I would love to have that problem. I've read everything under the sun on weight training, and I stillhave to measure my muscle gains in fractions of a millimeter :blink: .

I've also had a "hint" of shoulder trouble at one time. A few rotator cuff workouts, plus stopping all shoulder training helped it heal. I still have to be careful during chest workouts though. They just don't feel like they did when I was eighteen.

I've been taking glucosomine, vitamin C and fish oil for years. Does it help with the symptoms? Yeah a little although it is really debated in the medical circles right now. Does it stop the degeneration once it has started? No and no one will make that claim. NASIDS(ibuprophin, motrin etc) are a killer literally. I take Celebrex only when it gets bad. My doctor told me to go ahead and go out and do what I want . The arthritis is serious and nothing, within reason, can make it any worse anymore. It really sucks and I am struggling dealing with this.

For those who still want to bench w/ less risk I do incline bench. It's still a compound chest movement and the torque on the shoulders is much less. If you still want to bench then I highly suggest benching power lifting style rather than the arms out, shoulders up bodybuilding style.

Edited by John Thompson

Check out Nathans "Morning wake up call" to see how he prevents injuries.

Hopefully I'll have some more of his physical training techniques up soon.

Mick B

"...NOTHIN' ELSE MATTERS!"

www.team-mtrain.net.au

Edited by M-TRAIN