Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brave Journalists

clown

Ran across this on foxnews.com. Taser introduced their new civilian model at the consumer electronics show and foxnews reporter Mike Straka volunteered to be zapped for 3 seconds. Gotta love the dedication. The video is entertaining.

taser

Unless they changed something.....the "civilian model" taser will taze for 30 seconds, allowing you to run away to get help while the bad guy is incapacitated..... :o I didnt mind getting the 3 seconds, but 30 seconds, no thanks...... :D

DougC

I took a retention/disarment class where we had to draw and fire while getting zapped with a stun gun in a major muscle group....it fricking hurt for sure. I'm guessing with the tazer that the electrical overload is so much that your muscles are overwhelmed by the electrical impulse making it impossible to move. Much of our class was able to draw and fire rounds while getting zapped with the stun gun, me included. Is it the direct skin contact or different levels of amperage/volts or is it something else that makes a tazer more effective at immobilization than a stun gun?

Edited by carinab

I may be way off base here, having had the distinct pleasure of never being zapped by either device thank you very much, but it is my understanding from the limited reading I've done it is the surprise as much as the jolt itself. That's why LEO classes are subjected to both. Once you understand it hurts like hell but you can keep fighting a large percentage of the population can continue after being hit with either. YMMV. :blink:

Negative, ghost rider.... :o

Out of 28 Officers, I did not see one that could fight through it, or get through 5 secs without going down. Even our Marine, who is the toughest guy I have ever met, couldnt do more that 4 secs. The involuntary muscle spasms and your muscles locking up on you is what incapacitates you. Pepper doesnt work on everyone, but this works as long as you get both probes into the person. I think it is God's gift to LE and wish every officer had it at their disposal. Less people getting hurt on both sides of the aisle!

Now, when it shuts off you can be ready to fight, but while it is on.....you really cant do much..... :unsure:

DougC

Edited by DougC

My recollection is that the Taser-type devices operate in the same general frequency range as the human central nervous system. High voltage (~50,000V) but low current, firing signals that your muscles respond to involuntarily. That would explain the very tense posture most folks exhibit while being juiced.

I'm with Doug on this one.

I'll gladly take the 3 second burst as opposed to the 30 seconds. I can't imagine what the 30 seconds is like after doing the wussy 3 second jolt. Still, given a choice, I say I would rather get tasered (for 3 seconds ;) ) than get pepper sprayed. That crap just lingers.

Ya know, it's stuff like that that I really don't miss from that line of work. :lol: Even though I only did it part time.

Negative, ghost rider.... :o

Out of 28 Officers, I did not see one that could fight through it, or get through 5 secs without going down. Even our Marine, who is the toughest guy I have ever met, couldnt do more that 4 secs. The involuntary muscle spasms and your muscles locking up on you is what incapacitates you. Pepper doesnt work on everyone, but this works as long as you get both probes into the person. I think it is God's gift to LE and wish every officer had it at their disposal. Less people getting hurt on both sides of the aisle!

Now, when it shuts off you can be ready to fight, but while it is on.....you really cant do much..... :unsure:

DougC

Very true. You do not fight through the taser.

So the difference then is the volts delivered between a stun gun and a tazer....Time to go google.

I don't think it's just a difference of voltage. The frequency range of the blast is very deliberate.

There are cattle prods with higher voltage and they hurt like sin, but they don't disrupt your ability to function like these devices designed to interfere with the CNS. All that twitching around is from having way too many muscles firing at the same time.

Method of Incapacitation: TASER ECDs utilize a state-of-the-art Neuro-Muscular Incapacitation (NMI) technology that temporarily overrides the nervous system, taking over muscular control. This NMI technology temporarily debilitates even the toughest individuals with minimal risk of injury. Existing stun systems stimulate sensory neurons and can be over-ridden by a focused individual. The TASER devices directly stimulate motor nerve tissue, causing incapacitation regardless of mental focus, training, size, or drug induced dementia.

Carina,

The way the taser works is by delivering the electricity at a very specific frequency. That frequency then activates all skeletal musculature. In doing so you essentially cause a contraction of every skeletal musle in the body. The beauty/safety of this method is there is no effect to smooth muscle function (heart, bowel, gut, etc). I know one instructor locally puts a $100 bill on a table in front of you when it is time to be tased. If you can get it it's yours. He hasn't lost one yet.

Trying to compare a stun gun to a taser is like trying to compare plucking a single eyebrow to getting a brazilian wax from your enemy.

Trying to compare a stun gun to a taser is like trying to compare plucking a single eyebrow to getting a brazilian wax from your enemy.

Mmmkay, I just want to know why you were getting a brazilian wax from an enemy? :blink:

:P:D:lol:

The local radio station was interviewing the cast of a new show called 'Armed and Famous'. Bascially they take some washed up loser celebs and laugh at them as they try to be cops. Sounds pretty stupid, but they made the celebs get tazed for the show. They played a sound clip of when they shot Latoya Jackson and the sounds she made were huh,,, well sounded like she might have liked it, alot!!!

:D:PB)