Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21

Cuz

The sight radius on the G21 is longer than a 1911. Very accurate gun, and most of all dependable as a self defense gun even when dirty. I can't say the same for 1911s when they are dirty or even cleaned.

Also there is nothing to learn than point the thing. A 1911 you have to be sure the flick the thumb safety off, and have your grip deactivate the grip safety. A much higher learning curve.

Only reason to get a 1911 is if you want to shoot single stack in USPSA. I shoot every division in USPSA, and IDPA except revolver. The Glocks can fit them all except single stack, and revolver.

And finally the do it yourself gunsmithing with a Glock is priceless and lots of fun!

That's interesting. I didnt' realize the sight radius was longer on the G21. That's a bonus.

The do it yourself gunsmithing is what's really pushing me towards the Glocks. I like having a gun I can fix myself if need be. I think I need one in each caliber just to be safe.

-Cuz.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting. I didnt' realize the sight radius was longer on the G21. That's a bonus.

The do it yourself gunsmithing is what's really pushing me towards the Glocks. I like having a gun I can fix myself if need be. I think I need one in each caliber just to be safe.

-Cuz.

Actually .5 inch longer in the sight radius than the 1911, even though the barrel is .5 inch shorter than the 1911. Because of the shorter barrel, the G21's muzzle velocity will be somewhat less. Perhaps up to 25fps less.

Do it yourself gunsmithing is no more than drop in parts, and testing different springs. But rest assured you will spend plenty on parts just because there are so many options. And more Glocks later in other calibers when you get hooked. Glocks are not expensive. For 1 custom 1911, you can buy 6 Glocks.

Edited by coltgov

-Cuz.

Actually .5 inch longer in the sight radius than the 1911, even though the barrel is .5 inch shorter than the 1911. Because of the shorter barrel, the G21's muzzle velocity will be somewhat less. Perhaps up to 25fps less.

Do it yourself gunsmithing is no more than drop in parts, and testing different springs. But rest assured you will spend plenty on parts just because there are so many options. And more Glocks later in other calibers when you get hooked. Glocks are not expensive. For 1 custom 1911, you can buy 6 Glocks.

So if I add the Bomar rear sights that extend out another .5 inches past the slide I'll get even more sight radius. Of course, that would probably pigeon hole the gun as a competition only as it's about the only part that would take me longer than a few minutes to put back in it's original condition. And the Bomar doesn't look as durable as the Dawson adjustables I just put on my G17.

Thanks for the info.

-Cuz.

I bought my 21 used and it came with a Bar-Sto barrel. That Bar-Sto has fed 10,000 rounds of every size and shape cast bullet from 180 gr. to 230 gr. and never ever once failed to chamber a round. And it isn't particular about OAL either. The only problem is that with the tight chamber sometimes the slide will stop short just out of battery. Interestingly enough neither the Bar-Sto nor factory barrel cares for bullets that wear copper and have sharp angles, like jacketed or plated SWC or truncated cone style. The cast version will feed flawlessly but put some copper on it and it won't feed worth a damn, all other things being equal. So my solution is to practice with whatever cast bullets I have on hand in the Bar-Sto, compete with plated or jacketed RN in the stock barrel and carry Speer Gold Dot hollow point with the stock barrel.

Dave Sinko

And the Bomar doesn't look as durable as the Dawson adjustables I just put on my G17.

Thanks for the info.

-Cuz.

Looks are deceptive ---- I ran Bo-Mars on all my USPSA Glocks from June 2002 to June 2006, without a hiccup. Of course I carried spares, and didn't let Erik Warren near my guns..... :lol::lol:

I also think there are equivalent and better choices out there now ---- when I was first doing this, it was almost limited to Heinie's or Bomars......

With Glocks newest incarnation of the G21, this gun is looking more and more attractive for multiple platforms.

What do you mean by new incarnation? Did Glock recently change something???

-Cuz.

With Glocks newest incarnation of the G21, this gun is looking more and more attractive for multiple platforms.

What do you mean by new incarnation? Did Glock recently change something???

-Cuz.

Smaller grip, Abmi safety and Picatinny rail. Probably trying to compete with the XD45.

Here are some pics a little over half way down the page.

Pics

The only other manufacturers for a G20/21 magazine well are Tom Novak of NHO (Stainless or Aluminum with brass or Aluminum Insert) and California Competition Works (Delrina).

http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/glock.html

http://www.demooner.com/pistols.php

I own the large framed magazine wells from Glockmeister, CCW and NHO and prefer the NHO. Spoke to the Dawson folk’s last year regarding them making one for a large frame Glock and at that time they expressed no desire to make them.

Regarding the magazine release I would recommend either the JP Enterprise or the Lone Wolf Distributors extended magazine release for large framed Glock’s (Best Value). Sights Dawson Precision. Trigger Ralph Sotelo or Charlie Vanek (Prefered).

http://www.vanekcustom.com/index.html

Ryucastra

I think you are the only person with a Novak magwell for the large frame glocks. After your review I placed an order with Tom at the beginning of summer. I called him every once in a while to see if he forgot about shipping it, and he would say he was still waiting to make more. I know he has been running XD magwells. Last time I inquired about the order was late November and still nothing. So- I wouldn't say he has any available. I think he decided there wasn't a market and blew off my order.

Still in search of a magwell for the G20. I don't like glockmeister.

Edited by rpmwfo

That's bizarre since he is advertising them on his website

http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/glock.html

Last time I spoke to Tom he informed me Bobby Carver was going to carry them also since Carver was already selling the G17 frame sized Big Mouth. http://bb-enterprise.biz/item157512.ctlg

I need to follow up on a project that Tom is working on for me right and in passing I will ask him where he is on manufacturing of the G20/21 magazines wells.

Edited by ryucasta

-Cuz.

But you can't fix that trigger on any Glock for even the cost of a custom 1911.... ;)

But you can't fix that trigger on any Glock for even the cost of a custom 1911.... ;)

You can tally up the tenths you might save on your splits, and then had them all over with interest when you get a jam :)

Looks are deceptive ---- I ran Bo-Mars on all my USPSA Glocks from June 2002 to June 2006, without a hiccup. Of course I carried spares, and didn't let Erik Warren near my guns..... :lol::lol:

I also think there are equivalent and better choices out there now ---- when I was first doing this, it was almost limited to Heinie's or Bomars......

So now I'm not supposed to let Erik near your old gun/sights? wuz up with that? you never warned me about that (that's ok though, I broke the sights a little while back and stuck on a set of hiz viz till I replace them with lpa probably...)

mike sousa

So now I'm not supposed to let Erik near your old gun/sights? wuz up with that? you never warned me about that (that's ok though, I broke the sights a little while back and stuck on a set of hiz viz till I replace them with lpa probably...)

mike sousa

You can let Erik near your guns, if you want ---- that comment was prompted by Erik's well documented string of breaking all things Bo-Mar for a while.......

He offered to bless my 34 at the 2004 Nats, I politely declined. Sights continued to work.... :P:P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I picked up my G21 yesterday and ran a couple hundred rounds thru it. Shoots exactly as expected. Only problem with it is that it doesn't have any TruGrip tape wrapped around it, but I will rectify that before it makes its next trip to the range.

I appreciate all the input.

-Cuz.

I'm looking for a full sized 45acp I can use in local plate/pin matches....I figure to lighten up the springs so it will cycle with a nice light load and plan to use it with the same ammo that I shoot in my 45acp revolver.

Just FYI, you don't want light handloads in pin matches. In order to take those heavy pins off the table you want POWER.

Also there is nothing to learn than point the thing. A 1911 you have to be sure the flick the thumb safety off, and have your grip deactivate the grip safety. A much higher learning curve.

Actually, if your grip rides the shooting hand thumb on top of the safety - and it should - there's no need to consciously flip off the safety, it just happens automatically (pun intended) when the hands meet during the draw. If you have your grip safety sensitized - and again, you should - there will be no worries of not disengaging the grip safety. This also will happen automatically with no conscious effort on the shooter's part.

Just a clarification. I know that no one here has said the 21 SF is replacing the 21, but I don't want anyone to possibly read into what we've been saying and reach the wrong conclusion. Just talked to the fine folks at Glock, and the G21 will continue to be produced. The 21 SF has been added to the Glock product line in addition to the 21, it hasn't replaced it.