Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21

Cuz

I'm thinking of getting a Glock 21, what can you guys tell me about it? Any different than the rest of the Glock models? I'm looking for a full sized 45acp I can use in local plate/pin matches. I'm just wondering what the general reviews are regarding this particular model. I just got a G17 which I like a lot. Now I'm looking for a 45.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great gun...much less moody than the G36. It's only potential downfall is that it is thicker than the other Glocks. That being said, I owned one for a while and really enjoyed shooting it.

One question though...shooting a 45 for a plate match?

It's a great gun...much less moody than the G36. It's only potential downfall is that it is thicker than the other Glocks. That being said, I owned one for a while and really enjoyed shooting it.

One question though...shooting a 45 for a plate match?

The thicker frame is a bonus. I have big hands and like big full size grips. I figure to lighten up the springs so it will cycle with a nice light load and plan to use it with the same ammo that I shoot in my 45acp revolver. Basically, I just sold a 45 auto because it was a compact and now feel like my safe has an empty spot that just needs to be filled with a more usable 45 auto. That's got me leaning towards the Glock. I've already got a Colt Gold Cup 1911 that I don't like and want to find something different.

-Cuz.

It's a larger frame than the 17 so check to see how it feels in you hand - I like the way that frame feels.

The 21's are fine guns.

Thanks for the info Viggen. The only flaw I've found so far is that there doesn't seem to be a nice heavy magwell available for the large frame Glocks. I would like to add some weight to the frame if possible.

-Cuz.

Brother, sounds like you are out of reasons to not get yourself a G21. I did a little digging. HERE is one brass magwell that I found for the large frame Glocks.

I have a hunch that Dawson may have something that will fit as well. You might want to send them an email and ask.

Brother, sounds like you are out of reasons to not get yourself a G21. I did a little digging. HERE is one brass magwell that I found for the large frame Glocks.

I have a hunch that Dawson may have something that will fit as well. You might want to send them an email and ask.

I have the aluminum Glockmeister on my 21, love it. :wub:

I too have large hands and love the feel of the 21. When I shoot my 35 or the open 17 it feels like my hands are all over them. :rolleyes:

If you are looking for fast reloads, I would go with the JP mag release. It has a nice tear drop shape that you can hit without having to change your grip on the wide body of the 21.

I think you're right. Thanks for the info on the magwell. I wonder how I missed that one when I looked???

-Cuz.

I have the aluminum Glockmeister on my 21, love it. :wub:

I too have large hands and love the feel of the 21. When I shoot my 35 or the open 17 it feels like my hands are all over them. :rolleyes:

If you are looking for fast reloads, I would go with the JP mag release. It has a nice tear drop shape that you can hit without having to change your grip on the wide body of the 21.

I'm a lefty, so the standard mag release tends to work just fine. Anything bigger and it interferes with my grip. Thanks for the info on the aluminum magwell, but I want to add some weight to the frame so I'd prefer brass.

-Cuz.

I had a G21 for a while and liked it. It was extremely accurate. It fed 200 gr. LSWC flawlessly. Stock barrel never showed the slightest bit of leading.

The G21 is very versatile. Can be shot in SSP, ESP and CDP. Works well in Production and Limited 10. I know a guy the shoots one in Limited as well. Seems like he can get 16 rounds in his mags with an extension.

Down load it to a 135 PF and it feels like a .22.

The only other manufacturers for a G20/21 magazine well are Tom Novak of NHO (Stainless or Aluminum with brass or Aluminum Insert) and California Competition Works (Delrina).

http://store.novakshandgunneroutlet.com/glock.html

http://www.demooner.com/pistols.php

I own the large framed magazine wells from Glockmeister, CCW and NHO and prefer the NHO. Spoke to the Dawson folk’s last year regarding them making one for a large frame Glock and at that time they expressed no desire to make them.

Regarding the magazine release I would recommend either the JP Enterprise or the Lone Wolf Distributors extended magazine release for large framed Glock’s (Best Value). Sights Dawson Precision. Trigger Ralph Sotelo or Charlie Vanek (Prefered).

http://www.vanekcustom.com/index.html

Edited by ryucasta

I have issues witching between the standard frame size (G17/G35) and the large frame size (G20/G21). Being used to the standard frame size, my grip points the larger frame guns to the right. So, for me, it is a pick a size issue.

If I was starting new and didn't have a gazillion rounds thru the standard frame guns, I'd likely go with the large frame.

The G20 with a 170pf load is like cheating in Limited...pretty soft.

I have issues witching between the standard frame size (G17/G35) and the large frame size (G20/G21). Being used to the standard frame size, my grip points the larger frame guns to the right. So, for me, it is a pick a size issue.

If I was starting new and didn't have a gazillion rounds thru the standard frame guns, I'd likely go with the large frame.

The G20 with a 170pf load is like cheating in Limited...pretty soft.

I would imagine it's quite smooth @ 170pf. Would a G21 be competitive with the reduced number of rounds-in-mags? Or is the difference not that great?

I've been playing with a G21 for a little under a year now...

The gun is legal for USPSA Production, L10, and Limited Division as well as IDPA's SSP, CDP divisions.

Heinie slant pro sights, factory extended mag release, slide stop lever and 3.5 lb Glock connector. Gun shoots 2.5 to 3 in. groups at 25 yards with the factory barrel. I load a jacketed 185g bullet to 148-150 pf. Singlehandedly the softest shooting pistol I've ever owned.

Dollar for dollar you can't beat it. I have less than half of the money invested in my G21 than I had in my SVI wide body set-up plus the gun is multiple disclipine legal whereas the SVI wasn't.

You can do a ton of things with the G21 for very little moola... :)

Pharaoh, seems like my friend gets either 15 or 16 rounds in his G21 mag. Starting a stage with 16-17 in the gun is not that bad. Thinking back on the IPSC match I shot Saturday I don't recall a single stage that having 15 round mags would have hurt. There was always a place to reload while moving from one group of targets to another.

There was one stage where I was able to shoot most of the targets before having to move. That's only the second time in years that being able to start with 22 rounds in my G35 made a little difference.

The sight radius on the G21 is longer than a 1911. Very accurate gun, and most of all dependable as a self defense gun even when dirty. I can't say the same for 1911s when they are dirty or even cleaned.

Also there is nothing to learn than point the thing. A 1911 you have to be sure the flick the thumb safety off, and have your grip deactivate the grip safety. A much higher learning curve.

Only reason to get a 1911 is if you want to shoot single stack in USPSA. I shoot every division in USPSA, and IDPA except revolver. The Glocks can fit them all except single stack, and revolver.

And finally the do it yourself gunsmithing with a Glock is priceless and lots of fun!

Edited by coltgov