Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How would you shoot this?

I liked this stage - lots of different ways to shoot it.  Course description was simply "engage them as they become visible from behind fault line"

You could clearly see all the targets from the box without shifting or any movement.

So how would YOU shoot this?  

barrels.gif

SG,  no picture.  I was able to open it.  I had to copy the path and open it in another window.

What are the distances?  The picture doesn't give any depth.  Are the two rows of targets high and low?  Are some obscured by barrels?

The back/top row of targets looks like they are not covered up by the barrels.  If that is the case, I would go left-to-right on the bottom row (16 rounds), reload, then take the back row (16 rounds)

By the way...32 rounds from one shooting position???  Was this an East Huntington stage?

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:43 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

Drats - the picture WAS there!!!!  I'll email to Brian to see if he can fix it :-)

Flex, the distance was about 15 feet from the front of the box and about 7 feet from the tape.  

You did not have to stay in the box.  In fact, most of the limited shooters went to the fault line (shooting on the move - and then did some shifting while up there)

(Edited by Shooter Grrl at 7:31 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

I shot it

Bottom - right to left

Reload, top left to right

13.7 seconds, down 2

The top shooters all shot it as 4 separate arrays with the reload between the middle arryas for both open & limited

(Edited by Shooter Grrl at 10:03 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

You could clearly see all the targets from the box

Now I'm glad I don't shoot at that club.

Unless the box is far away, it looks like a simple stand and shoot. Take a few steps as you reload. Actually, it seems so close that getting closer would only cause trouble; you can see more with better angles farther back.

It's hard to say without seeing the actual course.  I would think the trick to thios stage is to seeing all the targets with the LEAST amount of movement.

I would approach it like:

Can I see every target from one position? NO?  How'bout two? NO?  Three?  YES!

Next step: look at rocks or other "markers" at the those three positions only!  Program my brain, put my game face on, and hit my reload smoothly.

I'm curious SG, what was the best Limited time?

I was guessing a "current"  Master could navigate it in about 9 sec?

God I miss shooting, I haven't been to a match since Dec 12th

Not that it really matters, and, I'd have to see it to be sure - but how about this kooky order?

First target - top left; left to right, 6 targets across the bottom. Reload. Bottom target at third barrel; 5 targets across the top, then bottom two, right to left.

Now I know I went "down" a couple times, but it might make up for bigger transitions. ?

be

TDean,

THE fastest time was with a limited gun in the high 9's.  The other top dawgs were in the 10's and 11's. Also, you could see the targets from the box, no movement whatsoever was required, but as I said earlier, some of the Limited shooters moved forward a bit.

David did circles, bottom to top, Nolan did some sort of "figure 8".  They were both at 10 1/2.  

I like Brian's order - damn, wish you were at that match with me :-)  I was concerned about the "double" transitions, but like Nik, knew that I'd get better hits going in a straight line, as I'd be less likely to "drive through" a target.

Did I mention I won my class because I shot this one so well :-)  The other C Class shooters ALL had misses.

Sheez, I'm sorry ShooterGrrl.  I didn't read carefully enough.....

I would definately stay in the box then!

I'd shoot all the bottom ones R-L.....reload

..shoot all the top ones R-L....in 7 seconds with one Mike!  Doohhh!

I shot it really, really, really fast!  Well, ok fast for me.  10.8 seconds down 9 points with the limited gun and 9.3 seconds down 15 with the open blaster.  I shot basically left to right starting with the lower targets moving up to the upper target in groups of 4, then reloaded after the 8th target and so on.  I thought this pattern gave the shortest transitions.  Just stood flat footed and didn't budge.  Keep it simple stoopid!

Quote: from Erik Warren on 11:16 am on Jan. 22, 2002

Now I'm glad I don't shoot at that club.

Careful Erik, you're developing that Richmond attitude of looking down at other clubs.  I've shot at Richmond since 1988 and that sort of attitude has been prevalent the entire time.  If another club doesn't put on the same type of match as Richmond they are snubbed as amateurs, ie TASC, Oakdale, etc...   Maybe that's part of why Oakdale had 93 guns vs the 30? at Richmond.

Sorry for the offtopic rant.  By the way I finally got my 2000 Overall Championship buckle from Richmond.  I found it in the trophy box by accident today while looking for last months plaque.  I guess it would have been expecting too much to be notified that they had FINALLY arrived.

• 5 months later...

Umm, I hate to point this out, but unless I'm missreading your post, you missed a target, Brian.  

(probably bad etiquette to point out an error, but I'm trying to understand his order, really :)

Where did you get the target on top of the barrel, second from left?

Steve Pitt

p.s.- we had a shoot similar to this in Colorado awhile back, but all steel.   EVERY piece of steel had noshoots behind it.  Poppers, US Poppers, and plates, all about 15 yds-20 yds.  I shot it as arrays, another shot it bottom, left to right, then top, right to left.  .06 seconds difference in total times.  (we both shot open).

• 4 weeks later...

Whew...flex, i don't think our EH folks would do that one, though the round count is about right!

As for a lowly production shooter, glad i carry four mags as i'd be relaoding between arrays.

Ya know SG, with 7 months of retrospect, after seeing the actual bay that this one was in, I'd be inclined to skip the stage and just shoot the course designer.  ;)  

This is a pretty brazen case of using target clusters to pump up the round count.  A course using about 1/3 of those targets would be appropriate to the real estate available.  It really should be a 12-14 round course with one mandatory reload (just to take care of the Limited and Open shooters).  

My $.02,

E

Definitely stay in the box.  5 yards is damn close on an open target and if you can see all of them it's not worth getting any closer.  Your splits shouldn't change much at 7 feet, but there's more gun movement target to target, so those splits will increase.  Check this out:  If this stage was set-up at 15 yards from the box and 7 yards from the tape, I would definitely draw on the move, engage the first target before slowing down and then I would expect to have splits at or around .16.  On a 15 yard target I'm looking at splits around .20.  That's a pretty lame stage.

• 1 month later...