Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How would you shoot this?

Quote: from noname on 1:30 pm on Oct. 1, 2002

This stage design is typical, unimaginative, and boring IPSC garbage. Besides it is illegal (more than 8 rounds from a shooting position). No doubt designed by a highcap shooter.

This was one stage in a 4 stage match put on by a  small club with a VERY small range.  The stages are set up the morning of the match.  The other stages were a classifier and 2 field courses with lots of movement, lots of opportunities to shoot on the move, swingers, poppers, no-shoots, hard cover, some hard shots and oh yeah 28 to 32 rounds.  The two field courses are on bays that allow shooting into the side berms.  

The hoser stage and the classifier were on bays with very short side berms so the shooting is very one dimensional.

I don't have the club newsletter anymore, but I think the hoser stage may have been designed by a revolver shooter.  OK an open revolver shooter.

As I said it's a small club, but they have a very friendly attitude and put together a lot of fun, yes I said fun stages.  Not every stage has to be the ultimate shooting test from every position posible for a Circ de Solei acrobat.

I will retract my "illegal" statement. I understand that the shooter did not have to remain in the box. The rest of my comment stands. If your goal in stage design is to cram 32 rounds into a small bay, you succeeded. Redefine your goal.

Quote: from Ron Ankeny on 2:45 pm on Oct. 1, 2002

It is pretty lame alright, but there isn't anything illegal about it. The 8 round thing is for major matches and it is a recommendation.

Read US1.2.1. It is not a recommendation, or limited to major matches.

noname:

Thanks for the reference. At our club we bust our butts to keep everything single stack friendly and we always go with the 8 shot rule. A neigboring club goes hog wild for the hi-cappers and it's not uncommon to se a dozen rounds or more from one box. I was told by an RO that the rule was for sanctioned matches but only a recommendation for approved matches. I think I'll take a copy of the rule to the next match.

I just read the rule again. I am confused. What the heck does the rule say in plain terms?

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 3:21 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

Strange. At the clubs where I shoot they take the "no more than 8 shots from any position" thing seriously, so much so they've pulled targets out of an array when someone has pointed out the position required more than 8 shots. This was during the pre-match walkthrough, of course.

Quote: from Ron Ankeny on 3:16 pm on Oct. 2, 2002

noname:

Thanks for the reference. At our club we bust our butts to keep everything single stack friendly and we always go with the 8 shot rule. A neigboring club goes hog wild for the hi-cappers and it's not uncommon to se a dozen rounds or more from one box. I was told by an RO that the rule was for sanctioned matches but only a recommendation for approved matches. I think I'll take a copy of the rule to the next match.

I just read the rule again. I am confused. What the heck does the rule say in plain terms?

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 3:21 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

I'll admit that it is an odd rule in light of the fact that USPSA restricted the revolver shooters to 6 rounds. I assume USPSA originally chose 8 rounds from a shooting position to accomodate each of the division's capacity restrictions, but had a little brain fade when they changed their minds on the revolver capacity from 8 to 6 rounds and didn't revisit rule US1.2.1.

Yea, I know the arguement. All of the revolver shooters have to shoot it the same way, but why start up and try to promote a new division (revolver) then pull the rug out from under it with this set of circumstances? Revolver is not my game, but I would be pissed if it was.