Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Perfect Playhouse For A Man

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curtain to keep the heat in the working area while you have the door open to move vehicles in/out.

Interesting idea. What kind of curtain? I would think a shower curtain would not be up to the job. Any pictures of a working one?

You don't need much of a curtain. Just enough to block airflow. The more insulative the better but a blue tarp with weight at the bottom to hold it on the floor and a track to run on the top should do it.

This will kill the slab idea, but a small cellar area that is sound proof. Then a 24" culvert out under the yard area with a small vent at the end with exhaust fan. You now have an indoor range. Add a garage door opener to trolley the targets out and you are set.

If you really want to get into it look at this set up

I don't know who this is, but he is my hero anyway :)

I really have to laugh...the answers for the most part are as though money was no object at all...so why not make a professional shop 40 feet on a side and incorporate all those ideas...you would still have room for the disco ball and the pole in the corner...LOL

Thought you just wanted a reloading room...some of these suggestions are for a professional shop....wow...you could build it and rent it to Benny and Larry...

There are lots of good suggestions here... I really do have a few other "minor" interests other than shooting so I must incorporate them into the shop also. Metal and wood working equipment to do small projects will take up some of the space so I am trying for a balance. A balance weighted toward my firearms hobbies though... :)

OK..trying to put things together here. 30X40 metal bld - concrete slab with 10' sidewalls. One side of the bld. will have a 16' covered roof offset for parking whatever. My list so far consists of:

electronic combination locking doors.

bathroom with shower

small office with:

kitchen sink - deep sink

Coffee pot, microwave

Fridge for beer and water - tapper unit -TV & Tunes.

Internet connectivity

(reloading equipment in this room???)

good ventilation system - Positive ventilation

LOTS of lights, including reel-lights

Lots of outlets with a big amp breaker box - 12/2 at least to all plugs

three phase power

Several 220 volt plugs

parts washer

Plumbing for compressed air

Ceiling hoist

opposing overhead doors for help with summer ventalation

Secure storage/vault or room - built-in safe?

Steel welding tables

Mig, Tig, Stick and Oxy Acet. setups

vertical air compressor

I will be parking my RV next to the Shop bld. so it will share electrical and a stand alone (separate from the house) septic system with the shop bathroom. I tried to sketch out a floor plan with the general components in place...I failed miserably.....:-}

Will you need to wash any thing like a vehicle?

That is the reason I asked if you were to be connected to a sewer or septic.

When I do mine I am going to have a pit (minor slope in the concrete) to gather the water.

I don't know if it needs to go to my septic or if I can treat it as I would gray water.

Or just let it evaporate and clean it out by hand as needed.

Are you putting up a pole building or are you stick building?

If a 30X40 turns out to not be long enough it's easy to take the gable end off and add on.

(The end without an over head door.)

So you may not want to install a lot benches, cabinets and such on the far end.

I think I want a 48X30X10 on 8' centers.

That will give me enough room for a real office if I get my brokers license and a real tool crib

and garage.

FM

OK..trying to put things together here. 30X40 metal bld - concrete slab with 10' sidewalls. One side of the bld. will have a 16' covered roof offset for parking whatever. My list so far consists of:

electronic combination locking doors.

bathroom with shower

small office with:

kitchen sink - deep sink

Coffee pot, microwave

Fridge for beer and water ? - tapper unit -TV & Tunes.

Internet connectivity

(reloading equipment in this room???)

good ventilation system - Positive ventilation

LOTS of lights, including reel-lights

Lots of outlets with a big amp breaker box - 12/2 at least to all plugs

three phase power

Several 220 volt plugs

parts washer

Plumbing for compressed air

Ceiling hoist

opposing overhead doors for help with summer ventalation

Secure storage/vault or room - built-in safe?

Steel welding tables

Mig, Tig, Stick and Oxy Acet. setups

vertical air compressor

I will be parking my RV next to the Shop bld. so it will share electrical and a stand alone (separate from the house) septic system with the shop bathroom. I tried to sketch out a floor plan with the general components in place...I failed miserably.....:-}

What happened to the stripper pole?

Humidor?

Chair for me to help you drink that beer?

Stripper pole?

Cleaning/Loading room?

Lights for stripper stage?

Mike

This will kill the slab idea, but a small cellar area that is sound proof. Then a 24" culvert out under the yard area with a small vent at the end with exhaust fan. You now have an indoor range. Add a garage door opener to trolley the targets out and you are set.

If you really want to get into it look at this set up

I don't know who this is, but he is my hero anyway :)

He couldn't paint it? How tacky! ;)

I put a set of double doors in my workshop and it turned out to be a great idea. Open them both and you can back a trailer in to unload heavy stuff.

Also--- don't forget the tunes. My shop is 20' X 40'... and I have tuner a CD changer and 4 BIG speakers.

I put in a wall mounted exhaust fan. Great on hot days...plus I can get rid of paint or other fumes in a second or two.... and motion detector lights inside and out are a nice touch.

Lastly a wood burning stove.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I need some help with a floor plan layout/drawing of my dream shop. Anyone here do this as a hobby or professionally? :huh:

What happened to the stripper pole?

Humidor?

Chair for me to help you drink that beer?

Stripper pole?

Cleaning/Loading room?

Lights for stripper stage?

Mike

We can make everything happen but... the stripper related items,,,as I already have my own and she is always on call. You can, however, bring your own... :wub:;)

If you think a 30 x 40 is big enough build it bigger.

When I build my first shop it was going to be a 24 x 24.

Got some of the best advice I ever got, if you think 24 x 24 is big enough build it bigger.

I build it 24 x 36 and with in 6 months I wish I had gone 24 x 48.

Could have put up that stripper pole then.

PS: I have a new in the wrapper stripper pole for sale, cheap.

If you think a 30 x 40 is big enough build it bigger.

When I build my first shop it was going to be a 24 x 24.

Got some of the best advice I ever got, if you think 24 x 24 is big enough build it bigger.

I build it 24 x 36 and with in 6 months I wish I had gone 24 x 48.

Could have put up that stripper pole then.

PS: I have a new in the wrapper stripper pole for sale, cheap.

My last shop (sold to move to Corpus Christi) was 40X80 with a 20X80 covered offset.. and it was too big...

but it would have room for the stripper pole...

How much did you say you wanted for it? :P

" A desire for a stripper pole is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity "

Sigmund Freud

Edited by Merlin Orr

Make sure that when they wire it you put a outlets overhead. I find myself wishing I had a plug directly overhead instead of an extention cord to a wall. I have 200 amps w/ about 30 plugs all the way around but only one overhead and it is a dedicated circuit for the garage door opener.

" A desire for a stripper pole is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity "

Sigmund Freud

What the hell does that guy know anyway....isnt he dead?? And wasn't he the Guy on a couple of MASH episodes?? :lol::lol:

Anyway, you might add a small pulley at the top of the pole which when not in use, could double as a "flag" pole!! WOW a 2-IN-ONE stripper pole, might be onto something here..

Edited by DrawandDuck